1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I refuse to line the pockets of the piss taking companies that triple the price because it’s for cycling.

Cycling gloves £30
    Exact same gloves as Running gloves £10.

Ordinary clothes will do for me thanks. I don’t give a shit about stream lining to go ever so slightly faster either.

2. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Ordinary clothes clearly won't do it for you, because you got soaked to the skin and came straight home again, but whatever.

3. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I was thinking more about waterproofing. Jeans? Really? :hmm:

4. Gromit

I considered my waterproofs but didn’t want to drown in sweat. Bit like cycling in a bin liner.

5. Gromit

Nah I hadn’t got soaked. I’ve got soaked before. Doesn’t stop me. The fact it was well freezing is what did it.

6. beesonthewhatnow

If only some sort of cycling specific clothing were available that could address this problem :facepalm:

7. beesonthewhatnow

The idea that all the gear available costs daft prices is nonsense as well. While it’s quite easy to spend a fortune there is a huge range out there, with a bit of shopping round you can quite easily get a decent set of kit for not much at all.

Thinking about it I don’t think anything I wear on my bike I ever paid full price for, it’s all sale/end of season bargains :cool:

8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

well it's a primary so apart from other parents/kids at pick up it's locked tight.

9. beesonthewhatnow

Guess it’s down to how much you trust the other parents then :hmm: :D

10. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

lol, yeah you make me feel like actually there's not enough scope for it to be nicked ....

... then I remember that on a walk round a lake this afternoon I discovered that he'd (twice) just abandoned it on the floor and walked off :facepalm:

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  11. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Unless you can narrow down the time period that it was taken in to a couple of hours the police will not investigate, as it takes too long to go through the CCTV. For some reason they're not smart enough to use fast forward.

12. Dogsauce

After a fair amount of effort (and some cashing in of goodwill from the Mrs) I managed to squeeze the bike into the boot of the car for the Christmas trip to my folks in N Somerset, thinking I'd get to go out and play on the hills (and mop up a few easy Strava crowns). Subsequently I've had a shitty stinking spluttering cold all week and the weather has been crap (despite a promising forecast for a couple of days). It's stayed in the garage the whole time and we're off back tomorrow, when I'll have to squeeze it in the boot with more shit than we came with ("don't buy him anything too big, we're in a one bed flat" I said, pointlessly). I hate the world.

13. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

we went for a cycle near Chew Valley today and the weather was glorious :) sorry about your cold

14. Dogsauce

We're not that far away, but still quite icy here.

In the rush to get out of the flat before we came here for Xmas I also didn't pick up my bib leggings (or my medication, jumper, toothbrush...), just have shorts with me, which might be a bit unpleasant when it's only a couple of degrees out.

Part of me is tempted to have a little ride just to blow some of the shit out of my lungs, but probably not a good idea!

15. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Can anyone recommend a good cycling helmet? I've ridden without one for years but since falling off my bike this week and having several close shaves with cars recently, I feel I need to start wearing one. I have no real idea what to look for though. I hate wearing things on my head so it will need to be so light I won't know it's there.

16. beesonthewhatnow

What's your budget?

17. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

I don't really know how much a decent helmet costs. I wouldn't really want to spend much more than £50 but maybe that's unrealistic..?

18. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Go to a shop and try some on. Get one with MIPS afaik as I think that's been shown to reduce lateral/rotational injuries caused by helmets. I would think you will want ones made for racing as they will be light and highly ventilated but they'll be more expensive than ones aimed at commuters. £50 should get you a decent commuter aimed helmet but I don't know enough to give any recommendations, there's some options on wiggle at or just below that price point: Wiggle | MIPS Equipped Helmets |

Hellsbells likes this.
  19. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I was wearing one of these when I bashed my head off the tarmac having fallen on black ice a year or two ago. Dislocated my shoulder but no head damage or concussion. And it's only 38 quid just now
    Specialized Tactic II Helmet

Hellsbells likes this.
  20. beesonthewhatnow

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Hellsbells likes this.
  21. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

I have a Giro Foray MIPS. You can get them around £50 now.

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

23. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Had a crack at this year and managed 360K. Had a 140K ride for the final day but I slipped on the ice on the way up my driveway and thought better of it. This year I managed a festive 50....

24. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

I cycled just over 3000 miles this year, which was 500 miles more than last year. I don't ride at the weekend so that's just to and from work plus a lunchtime ride. Quite pleased with that :)

25. Dogsauce

Strava reckons 3706 miles for the year, but that's not going to be accurate, the iPhone app kept shutting down and losing chunks of my rides earlier in the year (missing many miles), so I started taking a garmin out on my rides too as a back-up, and for some rides have duplicate records from uploading this which I've not got round to deleting. It won't be that far off though, probably about 3500 (3000 was my target).

Longest ride: 68.21 miles for London-Brighton run, which I did twice (once with miles missing due to phone error).

By my calculations (due to the Strava leaderboards still being borked) I've made a net gain of 431 KOMs over the year. I was hoping to make the top 100 on the Strava Toolbox site for the end of the year but finished at 101st, the Christmas lurgy, leaderboard gremlins and shit weather kept it just out of reach. Give me a couple more weeks chasing shit sprints and minor climbs in North London and I'll be there.

26. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Just under 4000 for me which is way down on last year where I knocked out 6500.... I moved out of London in April and have become a train based commuter with just a short hop at either end on a Brompton rather than a decent ride each day so that accounts for most of the drop.

Although my total was down I did manage to get in more long rides - 10 200Ks, a 300K and a 400K (which was a first) so I was chuffed about that - I just couldn't find time to squeeze in many shorter rides around these.... That's my aim for 2018!

Dogsauce likes this.
  27. beesonthewhatnow

1848 miles for me last year, longest ride 101 miles.

Not bad for my first year :)

Target for 2018 is 3000 miles :cool:

weepiper, Dogsauce and braindancer like this.
  28. Dead Cat Bounce

Dead Cat Bounce is not a viable source of protein.

Just finished my first ride of the year, only 25 miles but some of the climbs had me really out of breath.

Six weeks since the last time I got on my bike and all of the Christmas excess has taken its toll :facepalm:

29. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

My target for me is to repair my bike and actually start riding again.

30. beesonthewhatnow

I’ve actually got 3 cycling targets this year:

1 - 3000 miles
    2 - Join the racing team* in my club and take part in a proper race
    3 - Have a go at track cycling in a velodrome

*rather depressingly I now qualify for the “veterans” (ie over 40) section :D

weepiper likes this.