1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

GT85 is basically WD40 with a bit of PTFE. It's not really a lubricant, it's more of a water dispersal and cleaning agent with a (very) minor lubricating side effect.

For extended wet weather lubrication you need something bicycle specific and wax based like Molten Speed Wax.

Or just never lube and replace the chain every 1,000-1,500km. They are cheap enough...

iamwithnail likes this.
  2. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Annnnd continuing in this vein (it's been a bit of a week for it), last was coming south on King William St to LBG, and the bus driver (a 521) who was stopped on the crossing across Cannon Street did the same thing - I wasn't even fast away from the lights, there were three cyclists in front of me, and he was an arms length out of reach by the time I got to him, then had to swerve to avoid because he just kept driving and the traffic behind us had to stop. Told me to fuck off and gave me the finger when i waved and pointed at the lights. Got his reg, so fuck him too.

3. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

Just been out for my daily ride, I was almost home, and I just had some cunt in a car pull out from a junction right in front of me. I had to swerve to avoid hitting them.

What do we think about waxing chains? GCN just did a video about it, and Oz Cycle has done one too.

4. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

An impressively bad piece of biking/parenting earlier this week. Two bikes, two parents, no lights, in the dark, one child (around 5) sitting on a pannier rack, riding unsteadily through various complex junctions along the A24 at it's busiest. :facepalm:

5. Bungle73

No one has any thoughts on waxing chains?

Seems like I might be off the bike for a while. I must have done something wrong on the last two rides, as now I have a pain on the right hand side of my lower back, which makes sitting down and standing up painful. I was hoping it would be better in a day or so, but I woke up this morning and it's still the same, so no bike riding for me today, and it's a lovely day outside. :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Waxing chains - can’t see the point. I just use TF2 Ceramic lube. Silent drivetrain and no gunging up.

Bungle73 likes this.
  7. a_chap

a_chap A closed mouth gathers no feet

They make lovely candles.

8. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

No doubt they all had dark clothing on instead of hi-vis. That how it normally goes, extra stupidity on top of stupidity.

9. beesonthewhatnow

First proper ride for over 2 weeks this morning (been busy with work etc).

It’s amazing how quickly you lose speed - I only did 30 miles at 15 average but I’m knackered :oops:

10. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

You know those cheap silicon lights that you can buy a pair of on eBay (including postage from China) for a quid, the ones that get given away for free all the time at cycling events (and aren't actually that bad as an emergency back-up)? Well, check out this Amazon Black Friday deal:

IMG_2459.JPG

Proof if ever needed that this Black Friday thing is a pile of shite. Like they were ever sold for £35 for two sets! Unbelievably this deal has been fully claimed. One born every minute and all that.

11. iamwithnail

Hah. Think I paid £12 for mine/for the kid's bike and that was from Evans out of necessity.

12. Bungle73

13. Bungle73

Is this really a good idea? :confused:

[​IMG]

14. beesonthewhatnow

Why wouldn’t it be?

15. Bungle73

Wearing camouflage riding around on a bicycle? It's not exactly standing out is it?

16. beesonthewhatnow

It’s not really camo though, is it? Certainly more noticeable than some of the plainer black stuff you see people wearing.

17. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

It's kind of dazzle camouflage style. I dunno how it'd look in reality though, whether that'd actually have an effect, or how effective dazzle camouflage actually was anyway

18. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Morning...

Bought the 8yo a new bike for Xmas. What's the general consensus on insuring kids bikes? He cycles it to school every day and leaves it in the bike shed, his current bike he's not been locking up but I'm insisting he secures his new one. It's worth just shy of £300.

I'm fairly sure that it's not automatically covered on our house insurance whilst it's not in the garage.

19. beesonthewhatnow

How secure is the school site?

20. iamwithnail

I insured J's bike last year (similar value) wouldn't do it again, but he doesn't leave it at school - our home insurance covers it (and Ms W's bike) at work/school, as long it's not left there for more than 24 hours.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  21. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Given up on the Rapha 500. Got a cold and just couldn't push myself through it any more.

22. beesonthewhatnow

Was meant to be going out for a ride today to start burning off all the xmas food excess, but lots of icy patches on the roads has put me off. I've got plenty decent kit now so don't mind the cold or rain, but ice scares me :D

23. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Gives me the heebie jeebies since I fell on a corner on black ice and separated my AC joint (where the collarbone joins the shoulder) a couple of years ago. I wasn't even going fast. Ice is to be treated with extreme caution.

24. beesonthewhatnow

Yeah. To be honest I'm almost more worried about damaging my bike and kit than I am me :oops: :D

25. a_chap

a_chap A closed mouth gathers no feet

That's why you need a recumbent :)

I've fallen off mine a few times on ice but as my backside's less than a foot off the ground I've never been injured :thumbs:

26. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Forgot to pick up my bike from outside the supermarket before heading away for Xmas. It's such an old clanger I wasn't too worried. Just gone to get it and some cunt has nicked the back wheel. Must have taken a bit of work as it wasn't a quick release.

Really busy spot with cctv everywhere. Any point reporting it? And how much will a new one cost? As I say, it's an older bike for trundling up and down the road to the shops. What's the cheapest option, I'm in se London...?

27. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Brilliant, just called 101 to report this and it’s 15p a minute. I’m on a bundle so I can’t use it. Fucking hell.

28. Gromit

I went out yesterday but it was sleeping through my jogging bottoms. Went back to put jeans on over the top.
    Went out again.
    Sleet was hammering through my helmet.
    Turned left instead of right (normal route) round the block and straight back into the house.

Went out today though. Could have done twice the distance but decided enough was enough when my foot started to ice up.

29. Gromit

Some forces have online forms you can use to make a report via (e.g. The met).

30. beesonthewhatnow

Sounds like you could really do with investing in a few bits of decent clothing...