The Cycling Chat Thread

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jennastan

Jennastan Active Member

Anyone can put a sign up claiming no right of way and even if it's true all they can do is ask you to leave.

Winot, Artaxerxes and SpookyFrank like this.
  2. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Treated the bike to a full service on Monday.
    It was pissing down when I collected it - so it got covered in crud again on the way home :thumbsdown:

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Random bike question... I've inherited a Specialized mountain bike with front suspension and thick off road tyres. Would it be bad to put road tyres on a bike like this?

4. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Depends on how wide the wheel rims are compared to the tyres you want to put on.

ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

If it meant changing the rims too would that be possible? I'm thinking particularly about the big shock absorbers impact on road tyres/bike weight? I don't know anything about bikes tbh.

My old bike was stolen and I'm trying to remember the name of the tyres I had in there... Marathon? Sounds familiar. They were good... Never had a puncture.

6. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

Schwalbe Marathon plus are good for puncture resistance, good in general, I think, I've used them for years

You can put slicks on most rims, I think, they make some pretty fat slicks, although at some point of fatness they might stop being 'road tyres', the tyre needs to be big enough for the rim, and you'll need to figure that out (wheel make/model, or measurements), you'll probably need new inner tubes too, unless the new tyres are very similar size

Changing the rims = new wheels

I wouldn't have thought the suspension size/weight would matter

ska invita likes this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

No problem at all with the shock, it neither knows nor cares what tyre is on the wheel.

Plenty of sturdy road tyres for wide rims out there, just go to you local bike shop and get them to check what size you need :)

weepiper and ska invita like this.
  8. ska invita

Thanks a lot!

Almor likes this.
  9. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I use schwalbe land cruiser slicks on my Carrera made a nice difference when I was on roads.

Just Google MTB road tyres you'll get some good ideas. Important thing is wheel size AFAIK.

10. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Depending on the width of the rim there will be a minimum tyre width you can put on and still get the bead to seat. MTBs make dreadful road bikes so you're probably better off selling and getting a bike more suited to your intended use.

11. hash tag

hash tag member

For a little balance, I only ever road mountain bikes, albeit tricked out and did thousands of miles on them. All were solids, no suspension.
    One of the first was a Kona Lava Dome; written off when I hit a car.
    A Scott. Slightly tricked, very light. Did South to North in Viet Nam in that.
    Then the dream. I bought a used Fat Chance frame. It was always being upgraded. White Brothers headset...longest, lowest rise I could find. Some Ringle bits, Hope hubs. Biggest fears I could get on it. Narrow handbuilt rims with semi slick tyres and Aero bars of different lengths and rises. A tremendous bike and old tech by today's standards. :thumbs:
    It can be done.

12. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I commute on a steel 26" hardtail. It got downgraded to the commuter when I bought a more up to date 27.5" one-by mountain bike which I now always choose if I'm riding off road. Having done my commute on my road bike a few times I much prefer the safe feeling of smaller diameter bigger tyres and an upright position. Edinburgh roads are really potholed.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  13. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I built one of these for Mr W today. I look forward to seeing a lot of the back end of him disappearing up a hill in front of me.

2020-tarmac-disc-comp_16221.jpg

14. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Oooooh. The guy in the flat downstairs has, if not that, then a very very similar model. It looks light as a feather and *even nicer* in person than in the photos.

weepiper likes this.
  15. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

looks like it can only go downhill ;)

Almor likes this.
  16. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

That bike does look rapid :cool:

17. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

That, or it's the latest in cyborg tech, for hardcore cyclists, an instep bolt fits into the crank arm for more direct application of force, pedals are for loser amateurs

18. beesonthewhatnow

Nice :cool:

19. Jennastan

Jennastan Active Member

Right after a bus turned dangerously on to the road i was on, forcing me to veer out of its way, a guy in a black car also came dangerously around the corner, beeped at me and for all the world i thought he was going to drive into me. He turned away at the last minute and i showed him the finger for going out of his way to make me think he was going to run me over. So he stopped just ahead of me and waited. Then i started to get nervous. I stopped too. He waited, in the middle of the road. Then he did half a U turn - a J turn, if you will, with the back left corner of the car at the right turn pavement edge, the car sticking out into the road, and he waited there. I considered the chances of getting past him without him being able to run me over and decided to turn around and go back. I got to where i wanted to go the long way, almost fucking crying from the experience though. What a fucking tosser! So a bloke in a car, about 30, really told this 52 year old woman on a bike what a big tough intolerant jerk he is. Fuck sake!

a_chap likes this.