1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corrupt Academies/Free Schools Thread

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Orang Utan, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

2. Orang Utan

DotCommunist likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

5. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this (I get the print version but hadn't seen it). The high school (part of a multi-trust academy) most of the kids from my 10 yr old's class will go to seems to be a school like this. I went to an open day on a Saturday and quite liked the emphasis in the head's talk on the children feeling safe, importance of relationships and predictability, but I visited on a school day and the the kid who showed us around managed to scare our kids by talking about rules, detention. When I pointed out that as R and her friend are only in yr 5 and they don't need to know all this, she told me that they were better learning it now before they started. I've since looked into it a bit more, and reading that article provides some context, and there's a definite 'new discipline' thing going on there.

muscovyduck and Orang Utan like this.
  6. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

This made me laugh.

Am I getting this right, someone rewrote the odyssey and missed out a load of chapters as they were not going to be tested on those parts of the story?

7. Orang Utan

I think it's quite commonplace not to read the whole book unfortunately

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

What is the point of reading half a book? When I was at school we were recommended to read the whole book, to get context, now, pupils are even being denied that experience with re written books missing half the narrative.

Is this a teaching for the test type thinking.

9. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Libertad likes this.
  10. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

That's just tragic :(

11. May Kasahara

May Kasahara channelling Lynda Day

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Sadly, taking the lead from the private education sector of teaching to the test, not teaching for the expansion of knowledge.

13. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

This is the sort of school you can get if the mucky fingers of profit are not in it. 140 students. 20 teachers. 3 admin/support. Excellent systems. Set their own policies. No inspections. No exams. The place is as calm as a spa. No hierarchy. If I taught here you would have to physically remove me at the end of the day. Max of 15 per class - any more and the teacher gets paid extra.

Attached Files:

May Kasahara and Libertad like this.
  14. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Where is that ?

15. Orang Utan

Doncaster

16. catinthehat

Snafellsness in Iceland (but typical of schools here). Though Orang Utans answer is better!

Orang Utan likes this.
  17. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Nah, the Odyssey is our current written version of a centuries-old story that was handed down by oral tradition for generations. It's not a book that has one official with a definitive author. It's more like looking at one episode of Eastenders and asking about the storytelling tropes therein.

There's nothing wrong with studying parts of it, quite apart from the fact that the length would make it impossible for any teacher to cover in full, especially in year 7. The kids then get something that is not British, was extremely influential for world literature and comes up in fiction all the time even now, and has some cool monsters in it. You can easily miss out the bits where the bard was probably filling time while everyone went off to get more ouzo.

muscovyduck and redsquirrel like this.
  18. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

19. catinthehat

Our local FE college is currently advertising for current students to take roles as teaching assistants - as unpaid volunteers. They must have a qualification one level above those they will be teaching 'in large or small groups delivering key skills of Maths, Communication and IT'. Their reward will be a 'Bronze Level Badge' which is awarded by the college. Scores of qualified lecturers redundant, replaced by unqualified instructors on zero hours contracts and unpaid student volunteers. But all is not gloomy - management and administration jobs have increased and the principal and senior managers have a new 'suite' and enhanced salary. Which is handy as most of them send their kids to the local private school. Where there are qualified teachers on full time contracts and no teaching done by a 16 year old with a C in Maths!

20. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

21. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

22. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

The head in that piece seems to be arguing that the money isn't that much - but that makes it even worse, that she's punishing the kids to get back at the parents.

BigTom likes this.
  23. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Jesus Christ.

24. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Yep, seemed like she was bitter not many parents had paid anything. Really horrible stuff from her i thought.

25. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

There's nothing like finding out your place in the word early doors, is there?

Sue likes this.
  26. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Totally pathetic.

BigTom likes this.
  27. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Wow.

I mean the entire education system essentially works like this, but this is brazen.

BigTom likes this.
  28. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

hang on a minute...

£6x50 = £300. A football, a rugby ball, a slinky, two skipping ropes and some tennis balls. For £300?

29. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Perhaps from a “preferred supplier” with some sort of exclusive rights who have absolutely no connection at all with the bosses/board/governors/head?

BigTom likes this.