The Coronet in Elephant and Castle is now closed for good

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by cuppa tee, Jul 5, 2014.

1. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

This popped up on my Facebook and in view of ongoing shenanigans in the Elephant I thought it might be worth sharing here..........

https://www.change.org/petitions/southwark-council-save-the-coronet

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Cheers. I just posted this on B Buzz and tweeted/Facebooked it like a dervish on crack.

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Signed.
    Poor old Coronet. Seems like at least once a decade, since the '60s, there's been some scheme or other to do away with it. :(

4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Oh dear. Its one of my favourite venues in London. Last time I went it was rumpus there and it was pretty fucking spectacular.

5. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I went there when it was a cinema, proper old flea pit.

6. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

Hahaha, yes it was. Last film I watched there was Demolition Man in 1993 I think.

7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i could've sworn i read it was going be turned back into a theatre? Any one heard that?

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the problem is that the regeneration of the area is predicated on the demise of the area's diverse cultural mix and its heritage.

9. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Hocus Pocus then McDonalds (walworth road probably) in 1993. :D

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I used to work with a woman who was E & C born and bred, and mentioned that my parents lived in a bedsit there around '60/61. She reckoned that most winters back in the '60s, before a lot of the "slums" were cleared to make way for The Heygate, The Coronet would be packed to the rafters on winter nights with people from bedsitters etc, because it was cheaper to get a ticket to see a film, and then stay in the nice warm cinema, than to keep feeding shillings into the gas meter.
    One of these days, I'm going to check up on the ticket pricing t see if this was feasible. :)

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

http://www.terramedia.co.uk/reference/statistics/cinema/cinema_ticket_prices_2.htm

ViolentPanda and Greebo like this.
  12. shaman75

shaman75 Well-Known Member

13. boohoo

boohoo No.

That is depressing. When I were a kid, the Elephant had two cinemas. There will be no character left to London at the rate these changes are happening.

ska invita and editor like this.
  14. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

That's a real shame, its still a very popular venue for clubnights, surprised it's closing.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Another one bites the dust :(

2018-01-18_003812.jpg

hipipol and ska invita like this.
  16. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Ah, sad.

Do we know what’s going to happen to site? (I can guess)

17. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Can't say it was my favourite venue but sad to see it go. I heard new year's was good...proper send off
    [​IMG]

18. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Squatted and raved last night

Life in the old building yet

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's brilliant!

Dan U likes this.
  20. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Teenager got back this morning , said she'd been at a rave in the elephant....I guessed it was here:thumbs::thumbs:

rubbershoes, Thimble Queen and Dan U like this.