The Clash right or shite?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by northernhord, Jan 30, 2007.

?

The Clash

1. I love the Clash, wouldnt hear and Ill word said

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. I like some of their stuff

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. I dont like em, fake punks and politico gesturing

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I,d rather a brew cup full of Soma

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

I didn't even get going on the singles :) how long have you got?

one of the most seminal bands in strictly musical terms, with some art-schoolish politics thrown in, so what's to moan about eh? Fucking substance about it that made you feel like doing something about it all.

Cheers :D

2. copliker

copliker ...

I'm thinking 1977-1982. Cut the crap doesnt count. Compare with indie porridge like coldplay travis etc.

S☼I likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's an interesting cover!

4. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

think you may have meant to put this up -

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

oops!

6. savoloysam

savoloysam Won an argument on the internetz once.

One of the best. Joe Strummer, what a guy. We'll never see the likes of him and bands with an impact like The Clash again. Let's just forget that last album shall we? :hmm:

For anyone with even just a fleeting interest should watch the Joe Strummer documentary "The Future is Unwritten" Brilliant Film capturing his essence and life story perfectly.

7. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't realise this was such a bump when I voted. Saw the Clash in 78. Loved them. The first album is class, second a bit "meh". London Calling has maybe 2 or 3 half decent tracks, but they were hardly a punk band by then. Old Punks Rule. :thumbs:

Respect though. Ain't slagging Strummer or the band off.

BCBlues and savoloysam like this.
  8. S☼I

S☼I walk the water like a sun

I'm about surprised I've voted in the poll despite this thread being posted three years before I joined Urban

mx wcfc likes this.
  9. mx wcfc

at least 10 years in my case!

S☼I likes this.
  10. S☼I

Fyi I voted "I love The Clash". Obviously been aware of them since always but only seriously listened to them in the last ten years or so. Firmly believe them to be one of the best rock bands ever, despite their flaws, and maybe because of them. A fair few missteps and songs you can discount but I reckon their ten best tunes stack up well against anyone else's.

Kaka Tim, mx wcfc and BCBlues like this.
  11. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

I thought they were great. Saw them at Brum once and they done an encore with Ranking Roger and Neville Staples and played some nice tunes. I saw them loads actually,first time was the White Riot tour. Met them when they come in to Brum to do the Ragmarket gig which was banned in the end. Was good fun watching the police tell Joe and Paul that The Clash had been stopped on the motorway and sent back to London.
    They played at Barbarellas in the end.

The reggae side of Black Market Clash is brilliant, especially the Bankrobber Dub.

S☼I and mx wcfc like this.
  12. mx wcfc

Like I've said. I won't disrespect them, but this is the problem for early punks. They just became another rock band.

13. S☼I

They had to. Punk was dead by 1979, and imo The Clash got better once they stopped being just another punk band

neonwilderness and BCBlues like this.
  14. mx wcfc

We'll agree to differ, without wanting a row. Punk's Not Dead. :thumbs::hmm:;)

S☼I and BCBlues like this.
  15. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

16. mx wcfc

7E6EE3FA-72C6-4137-BA1F-EA6D87D1D396.jpeg Possibly the greatest rock and roll photo ever. I still have my copy of Pennie Smiths Before & After.

neonwilderness and S☼I like this.
  17. copliker

copliker ...

mx wcfc likes this.
  18. waxoyl

waxoyl Active Member

saw them in brixton 1981 brilliant live. but most of there stuff after that :facepalm:. loved joe strummer told the crowd to stop spitting its not 1977.

19. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree All Cretans are liars, Epiminides (Cretan)

What about:

"I love the Clash, fake punks and politico gesturing"

?

20. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

i never got the idea of "punk purists" - surely punk is a starting point - not a destination? all the most talented and influential of first wave of punk went on to other things. Strummer described 1977 as "year zero" - a scouring off of what had gone before - presenting a tabula rasa on which to rewrite an entire culture.
    Musically the clash enthusiastically embraced a wide variety of other music but the kept edgy, spiky, self questioning punk aesthetic at the heart of it - especially strummer. It didn't always work - but so fucking what - when it did it was glorious.

S☼I and BCBlues like this.