• I dont like em, fake punks and politico gesturing

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I,d rather a brew cup full of Soma

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Paulie Tandoori

shut it you egg!
William of Walworth said:
He (and I) might have been exaggerating a tad, but they were really prolific and varied in a comparatively short period ...

I'm back from the pub too though, so no arguing :cool:
I didn't even get going on the singles :) how long have you got?

one of the most seminal bands in strictly musical terms, with some art-schoolish politics thrown in, so what's to moan about eh? Fucking substance about it that made you feel like doing something about it all.

Cheers :D

Paulie Tandoori said:
What's true? 8+(?) years, 6 or so albums About 4 hours?

I'm pissed but you stop making sense much before i get byrnet.
I'm thinking 1977-1982. Cut the crap doesnt count. Compare with indie porridge like coldplay travis etc.

savoloysam

WDIGAFA
One of the best. Joe Strummer, what a guy. We'll never see the likes of him and bands with an impact like The Clash again. Let's just forget that last album shall we? :hmm:

For anyone with even just a fleeting interest should watch the Joe Strummer documentary "The Future is Unwritten" Brilliant Film capturing his essence and life story perfectly.

mx wcfc

One of the best. Joe Strummer, what a guy. We'll never see the likes of him and bands with an impact like The Clash again. Let's just forget that last album shall we? :hmm:

For anyone with even just a fleeting interest should watch the Joe Strummer documentary "The Future is Unwritten" Brilliant Film capturing his essence and life story perfectly.
Sorry, didn't realise this was such a bump when I voted. Saw the Clash in 78. Loved them. The first album is class, second a bit "meh". London Calling has maybe 2 or 3 half decent tracks, but they were hardly a punk band by then. Old Punks Rule. :thumbs:

Respect though. Ain't slagging Strummer or the band off.

S☼I

2 Fat 2 Frivolous
I'm about surprised I've voted in the poll despite this thread being posted three years before I joined Urban

S☼I

2 Fat 2 Frivolous
Fyi I voted "I love The Clash". Obviously been aware of them since always but only seriously listened to them in the last ten years or so. Firmly believe them to be one of the best rock bands ever, despite their flaws, and maybe because of them. A fair few missteps and songs you can discount but I reckon their ten best tunes stack up well against anyone else's.

BCBlues

Lend us a Twenner
I thought they were great. Saw them at Brum once and they done an encore with Ranking Roger and Neville Staples and played some nice tunes. I saw them loads actually,first time was the White Riot tour. Met them when they come in to Brum to do the Ragmarket gig which was banned in the end. Was good fun watching the police tell Joe and Paul that The Clash had been stopped on the motorway and sent back to London.
They played at Barbarellas in the end.

The reggae side of Black Market Clash is brilliant, especially the Bankrobber Dub.

waxoyl

saw them in brixton 1981 brilliant live. but most of there stuff after that :facepalm:. loved joe strummer told the crowd to stop spitting its not 1977.

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
i never got the idea of "punk purists" - surely punk is a starting point - not a destination? all the most talented and influential of first wave of punk went on to other things. Strummer described 1977 as "year zero" - a scouring off of what had gone before - presenting a tabula rasa on which to rewrite an entire culture.
Musically the clash enthusiastically embraced a wide variety of other music but the kept edgy, spiky, self questioning punk aesthetic at the heart of it - especially strummer. It didn't always work - but so fucking what - when it did it was glorious.