• I dont like em, fake punks and politico gesturing

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I,d rather a brew cup full of Soma

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Termite Man

zombie flesh eater
brixtonvilla said:
I bought "London Calling" the other day and thought it was mostly art-student shit (with a few corking tracks). Is there better stuff out there then?
Thats the problem I have with it . It has some great tunes but some of the filler is just shit . Sandinista may have had less good tunes but the rest of the record was a much better quality than the filler on London Calling !

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
most perfect band ever.

passionate and angry yet compassionate. Innovative and inspirational and always trying (but not always suceeding) to stick to their own demanding principles and push the boundries of what a pop group could be . Joe Strummer was all heart and soul and i freely admit to blubbing like a big gay bear when he died.

Spion

I hear ya
given the lack of a poll and a 'mediocre' option I'll have to say 'shite'. I really never got em. They just seemed like a pop band for wannabe punks at the time to me

northernhord

Spion said:
given the lack of a poll and a 'mediocre' option I'll have to say 'shite'. I really never got em. They just seemed like a pop band for wannabe punks at the time to me
I dint wanna do a poll for this thread:D

mtbskalover

drive,ski,drive,ski
the way they played punk, then mixed in other styles to produce what nowadays could be called ska punk is great. So many albums, all with tracks influenced from different areas.

not just a punk band, like many of their conterparts, they mixed it up.

puts red angel dragnet from comabt rock on!:cool: :cool:

Dr. Furface

One small step for man
The early singles, first album and the early tours were fantastic, vital. Give em Enough Rope was patchy but still pretty good, but the heavy handed production, rock hero posturing and the drug busts that came with it signalled the end of them as a band that actually meant anything. After that, London Calling was a well made but relatively bland record that was bought by existing fans who hadn't moved on - and Americans. Sandinista was the most musically interesting album they made, but it was also the most self-indulgent. Combat Rock was neither combative nor particularly rocking. Cut the Crap was a good album title to end with, seeing as that's what they were by then.

dash

The Cost of Living EP was good, esp 'Groovy Times'.

Went to the record shop to get the first Clash album as soon as it came out. All the older kids were saying how great the Clash were, bullshitting about having seen them etc. Was not too impressed on listening to it, some of the tracks sounded weak and muddy, but at that age I didn't really get musical subtlety of any kind.

mtbskalover

drive,ski,drive,ski
Dubversion said:
erm. no they didn't
oh feck not this again.

ok they played punk rock with a influence of funk, reggae, and all sorts. not ska! 2t-tone or that malarky. i still believe they were one of the first bands to really mix punk with what is loosely jamacian music and do it well.
:rolleyes:

William of Walworth

Festographer
Kaka Tim said:
most perfect band ever.

passionate and angry yet compassionate. Innovative and inspirational and always trying (but not always suceeding) to stick to their own demanding principles and push the boundries of what a pop group could be . Joe Strummer was all heart and soul and i freely admit to blubbing like a big gay bear when he died.
I'm scared of how much I agree with you.

wish you were a girl, like ;) :p

I was really fucking upset -- for days -- :( :( when Joe died ....

The entire hugely varied output of The Clash was produced in the same amount of time it takes bands to churn out two identically sounding records these days.

William of Walworth

Festographer
He (and I) might have been exaggerating a tad, but they were really prolific and varied in a comparatively short period ...

I'm back from the pub too though, so no arguing :cool: