The Chelsea 17/18 thread

Discussion in 'football' started by Pickman's model, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Legend ha ha. He walked through our away following at Villa Park when he was on loan there and no one acknowledged him.

2. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Pity he couldn't walk through a defence! Last seen playing for this mob Persib Bandung - Wikipedia

3. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I dont see any particular conflict with cycles of rapid turnover of managers/ coaches and playing staff with a long term business model. In fact a lot of top clubs across Europe work precisely in that way and in Chelseas case it's been a remarkably successful model.
    Yes if someone could see into the future perhaps those players might not have been sold but if it was that easy why didn't any of the top four/ six clubs leap in with bids at that time?None of them could get game time in the first team which is what they wanted and all went to smaller teams where they were guaranteed first team time , developed and were then sold on to their present clubs . What we could/should have done perhaps was insert a buy back clause or percentage of future transfer .
    It hasn't been just us , look at the United / Pogba situation. Personally I wouldn't have Lukaku in our first team and I think some credit needs to go to Guardiola for the way he coaches and sets the team out around De Bruyne and to Klopp for a bold move playing Salah as his main forward.

BCBlues likes this.
  4. sealion

The potential is obvious to any coach or manager worth there salt. Why not develop and nuture them, instead of laying out great big transfer and wages. Chelsea let Salah go on loan two years ago, he scored 20 goals and then you sold him, A year later he signs for Liverpool. De bruyne only left Chelsea three years ago after scoring when on loan elsewhere. We are not taking about 18 year olds here. They have certainly become better players with there current clubs but that potential was already there.
    Mourinho again :)

BCBlues likes this.
  5. BCBlues

It is successful no doubt look at the silverware and the bank books but it's not creating a consistently good football team and it doesn't make sense having non footballing types picking our players. It's seriously affected our form this season. Leave the actual football side to those who know ie Conte and his aides not business types.

We're beginning to look a lot like Charlton

sealion likes this.
  6. sealion

Fucking hell, that bad mate :D

7. The39thStep

Realistically we don't know to what degree Conte has a say in transfers . He says he is the coach and the board picks the players but the board will say that he is consulted . The way in which the club does its transfer business helps to mitigate the fact that with short term management appointments it's not sustainable to have loads of new signings only to be have loads of new signings when the next manager is brought in. Look at the transfers under Van Gaal and what happened to them under Mourinho .
    What I do agree on is a) the debatable quality of our recent transfers b) how slow we are to do business and c) the perennial issue of how we integrate and develop some of the excellent youngsters we have had .
    I have said it before but what we can't seem to buy or develop is leadership which we had when we had the spine of Terry, Lampard and Drogba.

BCBlues likes this.
  8. BCBlues

:D Well never be that bad. West Ham will mind.

sealion likes this.
  9. The39thStep

Of course the potential was there otherwise we wouldn't have signed them. The point I'm making is that no one else at that time could see how big that potential would turn out hence them going to smaller clubs.

10. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Another black mark for you lot. Bloke's a hero.

sealion likes this.
  11. sealion

They both done well on loan scoring goals in Italy and Germany yet you sold them on, i don't get it.

12. sealion

Him, Wright phillips and Scott Sinclair all went backwards after signing for Chelsea. Great potential just sitting on the bench.

13. tommers

He needed us to save him. To let him be what he truly could be.

sealion likes this.
  14. BCBlues

At West Ham he might have been but we had Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and then Didier Drogba, he didn't stand a chance really.

15. tommers

And that gnawing uneasiness at the centre of your soul that none of the success had ever been worked for, ever meant anything.

He was better off with us, unsullied by anything as vulgar as trophies.

16. BCBlues

We've worked hard enough to get what we've won. Terry and Lampard were there long before the money came and were our real driving force for a long time. We were already standing up to the Uniteds and Liverpools. Having a sugar daddy doesn't necessarily bring success , ask any QPR fan.

Badgers and The39thStep like this.
  17. The39thStep

Well we gave that a good go I thought.The woodwork denied us win , aside from that horrendous pass across the defence. It was always about the second leg and I think we can score there.

BCBlues and Badgers like this.
  18. TruXta

TruXta tired

That was a flashback to last season's Chelsea. I thought you had a great game-plan that with a bit of luck would have seen you win. Still think Barca will go through.

19. BCBlues

Great performance I thought. Conte was back to his screaming best.

20. The39thStep

Interesting coverage of the game in the Spainish press. They called the result 'a miracle in London'. Thought Suarez should have been booked for dissent before their goal was scored rather than immediatly after, though Moses was 'a force of nature' and Kante 'brutal' in midfield and that the a foul on Hazard could have been red. All we got in the Uk were recycled articles about Messi :(

Badgers and BCBlues like this.
  21. The39thStep

Well Conte was right if we had taken our chances in that game against Man Utd we would have won. Very impressive in the first half ,it was difficult to believe that United were at home at times. Morata should have scored rather than hit the bar and the equaliser only happened when Christenson was dazed from the clash of heads with Lukaku. I think Conte should have made the substitutions a good ten minutes earlier as it was obvious that some players were fatigued after the Barcelona game. Thought William was superb again and Drinkwater played well. Not sure about what ever happend to the forward getting the benefit of the doubt in offsides and replays show that Morata was on side.

22. BCBlues

I had to settle for Talksport for this one.
    There's mention of Gary Neville slating Arsenal constantly yesterday during commentary.
    We also had to endure 90 minutes of the same from Ray Houghton who repeatedly told us that both Morata and Christensen are weaklings.
    As if listening to the game wasn't bad enough. We did appear to have a blistering start though then a lot is being made of fatigue after the Barca game.
    We'll not have that excuse for our next game on Sunday at City, while they face Arsenal again on Thursday.

Badgers likes this.
  23. The39thStep

Christensen didn't have a bad game at all. Perhaps it a confidence thing with Morata , or how we set up? In anycase if he had scored he would be receiving all the plaudits .

24. BCBlues

Badgers likes this.
  25. BCBlues

Weak performance. I reckon Spurs or Liverpool could have won that game today but we really didn't want to have a go.
    Not one shot on target.

Conte is starting to make José look adventurous and I never thought we would miss Costa's aggression so much.

Badgers likes this.
  26. The39thStep

Well tonights the night

Badgers likes this.
  27. TruXta

TruXta tired

Play like you did last time and you're in it with a shout.

The39thStep and Badgers like this.
  28. The39thStep

Hopefully but we've been so inconsistent this season

29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Not the ideal start :facepalm:

Chelsea need at least 2 now?

30. TruXta

TruXta tired

Over the last 5 years more like it.

Seems like this match is over. :hmm: