The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I didn't see the game, but I'm surprised to hear that there was a controversial refereeing decision in Fulham's favour. Whatever next? The sun rising in the east?

sealion likes this.
  2. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

apart from the fact that your idea that loaning players then signing them is somehow cheating, where is your evidence that all the loanees have been signed?

3. Fulham Fred's

Fulham Fred's Member

Are you Neil Warnock ?

4. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

5. sealion

6. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

7. sealion

Whats all that about?

8. brixtonblade

Until a couple of years ago the club had been owned for 20 or so years by a guy called Kevin McCabe. He'd made a load of money in property and bought the club he'd always supported. We'd had all sorts of shitty owners before and he's been a good thing. He's shelled out loads of cash and has seen us up to the Premier League (and out again!) and sorted out the ground, the training facilities and the academy. He's not perfect (particularly when it comes to appointing managers...) and some folk will always whine that he should have spent more but he's been a stable owner who's put the club first.

A couple of years ago he sold half the club to a Saudi Prince for £1 on the understanding that the Saudi prince would invest in the club. This deal had a clause that entitled the prince to buy out McCabe and he's now invoked that but the two of them can't agree terms and for a few months things have been confused - who will own the club, what will budget be, what will strategy be. This doesnt seem to be getting resolved quickly and Wilder had spoken about the problems of managing with this uncertain background and so I'm hopeful tht his signing means there's some positive news.

The negotiation about ownership is complicated because the contract they have says that if the Football Club ownership changes it must be kept together with all the associated land - the ground, the hotel, the academy etc. I think this is good as these inteests getting split seems to invariably end badly.

9. sealion

A rarity in todays game!
    Indeed. I think that's what happened at Coventry and yes it ended badly.

brixtonblade likes this.
  10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Some assist by Sessignon there!

11. sealion

Fulham seem to be in control and most likely to score a second. Villa are very poor for such a big game.

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

You write that and grealish misses a sitter :D

brixtonblade and sealion like this.
  13. sealion

It did make me smile

brixtonblade likes this.
  14. sealion

Fulham getting away with a bit again :rolleyes: that stamp from Fredericks wasn't great.

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Villa player just ran over the touchline on the overlap on a one two then back into play to avoid a Fulham defender, thought that was a no-no but nothing from ref and no comment? Has law changed on leaving field of play?

16. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

Bale did it a couple of years ago against Barcelona. Didn't think it was against the rules

planetgeli likes this.
  17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Must be labouring under a misapprehension. usual informed fan!

18. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Looked a card but see young Jack grabbed various parts nowhere near where odoi kicked him

20. brixtonblade

Pleased for Fulham - they deserve it.

And Steve Bruce is a prick.

Fulham Fred's and 1927 like this.
  21. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

Fuck bollocks & arse!

22. mod

mod A modernist

Wasn’t a bad prediction was it?

See you gents. It’s been a pleasure. Good luck next season to you all.

sealion keep in touch mate.

I’ll genuinely miss the championship.

Come on you whites!

23. sealion

:thumbs:
    Will do mate, well done, must have been a tense day and it gets worse when you are hanging on to a goal lead. enjoy next season.

mod likes this.
  24. mod

mod A modernist

When Odoi was sent off and Johansen carried off in the 70th minute I thought we’d get battered as villa already had us on the ropes and were really on top. That was the most agonising and tense 20 odd minutes I’ve ever experienced. It was horrible but the joy after the final whistle will stay with me for a long time.

25. sealion

Last couple of play offs we've won have been 1-0 and horrible to watch. We led Swindon for an hour and more recently Bradford, it looked destined for a draw until we scored with 5 minutes left. The remaining minutes of that match seemed like an eternity, i've never heard say many people screaming, blow that fucking whistle you cunt :D Initially it's relief that kicks in when the whistle go's. A few minutes of that and then you can celebrate and take it all in properly. I think the whole Wembley day out is a tiring drag, it's hard to have anything left in you by full time.

26. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Although Villa were much better in the 2nd half (they could only improve after being so shit in the 1st) I still never though we looked like scoring, even after the sending off - except maybe for Grealish's brilliant run. Unlike Fulham this season, we've usually not come back after going behind in games, so although I get that it must've been tense for you at the end, you really didn't have too much to worry about. So good luck to Fulham in the Prem, you were better than us over the season and on the day, and deserve to go up - and don't come straight back down, as that will make losing to you yesterday feel even worse iykwim!

As for Villa, it looks like being a busy summer sorting out an ageing, expensive squad. I'd be content to let Bruce handle it, but if we have another poor start to the season and aren't in the top two or three come October, I'd get rid of him. He's undeniably failed to do what he was appointed for, and the football we've played has been largely uninspiring, but I think he's just about earned himself another crack at it. Just.

mod and sealion like this.
  27. sealion

So next season Stoke, Swansea,West brom, Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham (promoted today) will be joining us.

28. passenger

passenger up and down...

And there all miles away from London I think Blackburn is the real long one, been there
    twice and you have the added atraction you might get the train windows bricked at Burnley. :(

29. sealion

Yeah, nothing to get to excited about, done them already so nothing new to go to. Had a few lively days out in Burnlry and Blackburn :cool: Swansea and west brom ain't to bad to get to.

passenger likes this.
  30. sealion

Palace or the happy hammers are due there usual fall from grace soon. Hopefully,one or both of them will fall apart next season.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    brixtonblade and passenger like this.