The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Not sure.

2. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I have a vague memory of third from bottom in the top division being in the play-offs. Don't think it lasted long. Maybe getting mixed up with Scottish leagues.

sealion likes this.
  3. sealion

From wiki

Changes to format
    During the first two stagings of the play-offs in 1987 and 1988, the four teams involved were the three clubs that finished directly below the automatic promotions positions, plus the club which finished directly above the automatic relegation places in the division above.

This was part of the league's two-season-long restructuring that would reduce the number of teams in the top tier (from 22 to 20) while increasing them in the lower divisions (creating three divisions of 24 clubs); during these seasons, only one club (Charlton Athletic in 1987) that entered the play-offs in a relegation place managed to win the play-offs and therefore retain their divisional status.

In the seasons prior to the 1990 play-offs, the finals were two-legged ties with both teams hosting the other once. If the two teams could not be separated, a tie-breaker was then staged at a neutral venue. This was used on three occasions: the 1987 Second Division final was played at Birmingham City's St. Andrews; the 1987 Third Division final was played at Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park; and the 1988 Third Division final was played at Walsall's Fellows Park (though this was not strictly a neutral venue, as Walsall was one of the clubs involved).

Since 1990 a one-off final match has been used to determine the play-off winners, which has traditionally been staged at the old Wembley Stadium. Between 2001 and 2006 the final was instead moved to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium while the new Wembley Stadium was being constructed. In 2011 the Football League was forced to use Old Trafford for the League One and League Two play-off finals because Wembley was unavailable, being used instead for the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final.

Before the 1999–2000 season away goals were used as a tie-breaker after extra time had been played, however, this was abolished following a club initiative launched by then-Ipswich Town chairman David Sheepshanks, after his club had twice lost on away goals in 1997 and 1999.[2] Since then away goals have played no part in the play-off system.

4. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Yeah I have a less vague memory of it as Chelsea were the only side ever relegated through that format ours after a 2-1 aggregate against Middlesboro. The second leg at the Bridge was a bit of a tear up when it sunk in that the Blues were down. I think the FA then decided it's not such a good thing for fans to watch their team get relegated like that and made it a "happier" we've won promotion or oh well at least we got to Wembley affair.

I remember West Brom avoiding relegation in the play off system by beating Port Vale at Wembley. There was an open top bus celebration through West Brom...because they had finished 3rd from bottom in the second tier :eek:

Fez909 and mx wcfc like this.
  5. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Blades went down in playoffs too thus setting the scene for 30 years of playoff chokes

6. sealion

7. brixtonblade

sealion likes this.
  8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

They did, and I quite like that system.

Boro were in div 2 and played Chelsea in div 1. We beat them, relegating them, and we were promoted.

edit: just seen this was discussed above! Browser tab still open from yesterday so thought it was a new comment :facepalm:

9. sealion

I think we are going to lose a few to bigger teams, our transfer record spent on one player is 900k that was 20 odd years back :D

Remember this one ?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Fez909 and brixtonblade like this.
  10. brixtonblade

Yeah, cracking goal.

Mel Rees in goal that game died the next year of cancer aged 26. Always bittersweet seeing clips of him.

11. mod

mod A modernist

Why?

12. sealion

mod likes this.
  13. mod

mod A modernist

Yep. That was us back at our best. We completely outclassed them. Thanks mate. It’s been a very, very long wait.

sealion likes this.
  14. sealion

Yeah first play off final! I've been to four and they are bloody tense occasions, but there is no better place to be if you win :thumbs:
    Just a tip mate- if you can afford to then get a decent ticket in the midddle tiers or a seat up the back of the lower tier. The cheapest tickets up in the gods are shit, it's like you are in Harlesdon, it's that far away from the pitch and a bloody mission to get up there.

mod likes this.
  15. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I used to live in Harlesden and spent many a weekend misdirecting people who wanted to go to Wembley stadium to the roughest estate we knew

sealion likes this.
  16. sealion

We usually walk to Stonebridge park afterwards because of the crowds.You do get some looks :D but to many of us to bother.

The39thStep likes this.
  17. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I’ll translate! Wembley is a shit stadium!

18. sealion

It is.

19. mod

mod A modernist

Fulham Vs Villa it is then.

20. sealion

It will be an intriguing final, it might slightly favour Fulhams style of play not being a home game. Still a tough one to call and one i wouldn't bet on.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  21. brixtonblade

I hope Fulham win

Looked better than Villa from their games against us

Will be a shame to lose a London game for me mind

22. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

That was just too tense tonight - but it shouldn't have been. Over the two legs Boro were pretty hopeless in front of goal, so for us to just scrape through 1-0 with a big scare at the end and the ref helping us by not sending off Sam Johnstone... well it's great to get the win but it doesn't inspire me with much confidence for the final. (To be honest, I have my doubts that we'd have beaten Derby.)

At least it will be the teams that finished 3rd and 4th playing at Wembley, as it should be.

sealion likes this.
  23. sealion

I was hoping Charlton might get lucky and West ham capitulate,but no luck, i love the derby games.

24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Villa are a big club with big history and support. Seems odd without them in the premiership.....best to them.

sealion likes this.
  25. brixtonblade

Nah, that's no reason for them to be there

26. brixtonblade

Would love West Ham down. Cunts.

sealion likes this.
  27. sealion

So would i/we, probably for different reasons to you mind! By the looks of it and from what i hear from some of them , the club is toxic and very badly run, so there is always hope!

brixtonblade likes this.
  28. brixtonblade

Here's hoping for next season :thumbs:

sealion likes this.
  29. sealion

Would be fucking hilarious if either of our teams took their place in the money league, It would finish some of them off :D

brixtonblade likes this.
  30. sealion