1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

So we've made some signings.

Jonny Howson and Cyrus Christie join Middlesbrough for undisclosed fees

Howson is apparently decent but I don't know anything about him?

Christie is likely a replacement for Gibson :(

I can't help but feel we still need to sort the striker situation out though. We were a low scoring team during the promotion campaign, and then one of the lowest scoring teams in the Premier League ever, and that was with Negredo, who's now gone.

According to a post on a boro forum, we signed 12 players on permanent deals in 2016. Only one of them will still be in the borosquad in the upcoming season. Shocking transfers is what did it...

3. pppPenguin

pppPenguin Well-Known Member

Isn't Gibson a centre back? If so, Christie is most certainly not a centre back and would be better described as a complete wingback with almost no defensive intellect.

Fez909 likes this.
  4. sealion

5. passenger

passenger up and down...

Brilliant sealion if you had DJ Randall and MC GQ it would have been perfect :D

sealion likes this.
  6. sealion

Couldn't afford them mate. All the money went on other forms of entertainment :cool:

passenger likes this.
  7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Right you are. Must be a Barragan replacement, then. Gone back to Spain for free, I believe.

8. sealion

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Boro just broke their transfer record for Assombalonga. £15m. Good signing if he can stay fit. Apprently had lots of injury problems at Forrest. Still banged the goals in though.

Excited for the season now...shaping up to be a decent team. Goalie next!

Lorca and sealion like this.
  10. Lorca

Lorca Somebody, after all, had to make a start

wow, are boro really signing Darren Randolph for 4.5 million :eek: that's crazy money for an average keeper. The games gone Tom! In blues related news, I'm chuffed we didn't sign John Terry, but we're supposedly looking at Cashley Cole now lol! Oh, and Stewart Downing.

sealion likes this.
  11. sealion

The parachute payments that relegated teams get from the prem is a joke. Financial fairplay my ringpiece and hardly a level playing ground. If certain teams don't go straight back up then it usually ends in tears for the fans involved.
    Redknapp will do the same to Birmingham as he did at Portsmouth and Qpr. He's a cunt and should be banned from managing football clubs.

bromley and passenger like this.
  12. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Cheapest £5 mill the Smoggies will ever spend

13. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

You just got a good 'un.

Fez909 likes this.
  14. Lorca

Redknapp has a lot of goodwill with the fans at the minute for keeping us up after the zolacoaster (which only ever went downwards) but because he will probably only be here for a year or two, he's not interested in the long term health of the club. he seems happy to spunk massive wages on high profile players at the end of their career, which like you say, could lead down a bad road.

Randolph used to play for blues so I saw him a fair bit - good shot stopper, but too often beaten at the near post and has poor distribution imo. He's ok, but really no better than an average champ keeper. Stockdale, who we signed on a free is far better imo.

sealion likes this.
  15. technical

technical stripey

Personally pleased that Boro have signed Randolph - there were persistent rumours they were after Westwood from Wednesday

16. sealion

17. sealion

18. Lorca

my best guess for the final table for the season on BBC's predictor. You have to be a bit optimistic for your own team innit, even though we're crap! Still, theres always a surprise package, like Huddersfield last year, and you never know, could be us i suppose. (Also think Vile should at least make the playoffs but they're a toxic club and if a few early results go poorly, the bedsheet banners will come out, therefore i'm going steve bruce to be first manager sacked. ps, sorry Milwall!

[​IMG]

Fez909, Benjamin F and sealion like this.
  19. sealion

20. sealion

21. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

championshiptable-0e6bd6307d384d2518904b1c8a5fd208 (1).jpg

There's mine. The JT factor will lift the Villa, sorry Lorca .
    No surprise you pitting Holloway at the bottom sealion :D

Fez909, Lorca and sealion like this.
  22. sealion

They will probably sack him and he will end up back at sky sports talking shit for money.. He and the club are a basket case, run and managed by fuckwits.

BCBlues likes this.
  23. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I love the revival of hope that a new season brings to some fans. My Leeds-supporting colleague affirms very strongly that they'll win the title this year. I saw him looking at a piece on the Beeb website with a picture of Garry Monk on and he just said "twat".

Fez909, sealion and Lorca like this.
  24. Lorca

well, looks like we wont be signing neymar now :(. could go either way with the aston historians. no doubt JT should be immense at this level, but, leaving aside whether he can be arsed and whether he can stay fit, part of the problem for them is their entitled fans imo. They still believe they're this massive club who are better than everyone else in the league and they should be in the champions league by rights rather than down with plebs like us. Its a cliche, but this league is tough to get out of, with many very similar teams. Also, they're just really boring imo. A few poor results and the atmosphere will be toxic there :) But yeah, an £80 million team who added JT should be winning 4.0 every week in theory so I hope i'm not eating my words come may :D!

As for away trips this year, Ive been to every ground except millwall, brentford and burton, so quite fancy the latter two if possible, but i only go to the odd game nowadays.

sealion likes this.
  25. sealion

26. sealion

27. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

About time you extended an invite sealion ?

28. sealion

He said he didn't fancy it for whatever reason.

BCBlues likes this.
  29. sealion

30. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

:D

sealion likes this.