The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the derby fulham game goes ahead and that the fulham bus breaks down on the way home

Is the only way I can see us getting any points on Tuesday!

2. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

loads of strong rumours that steve cotterill is out after our game with forest tomorrow, if it's on, and Gary Monk will be taking over. Not massively inspiring, but anyone's got to be an improvement!

3. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

How many managers have you had this season ?

4. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

How about taking Jaap Stam off our hands?

sealion likes this.
  5. brixtonblade

Heard his too from someone whos usually very reliable about the Blues

6. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

think its fair to say our managerial appointments haven't been the wisest lately: we sacked Gary Rowett whilst just outside the play-offs, then replaced him with Gianfranco Zola lol, followed by Harry Redknapp then Steve Cotterrill! Before that we had the utterly bonkers Lee Clarke! You've gotta laugh though aye!

7. sealion

That must be costing the club a fortune with all those pay offs.

8. sealion

Bit of a scrappy game at the den yesterday. Sunderland who need wins set up with a back five and offered little apart from a screamer that went in. They were awful other than that moment of magic and look doomed. We didn't get going until the second half and should have had at least one penalty. A good atmosphere from both sets of fans with an impressive away following from Sunderland, roughly 2 thousand of them made the trek!
    Millwall 1-1 Sunderland (CHAMPIONSHIP) Highlights

mod and brixtonblade like this.
  9. sealion

10. mx wcfc

Decent enough weekend for Reading too. We didn't lose.

11. mod

mod A modernist

Fulham seem to be getting stronger by the week. The new signings have proved very, very good and we were flying before they came. There’s a real sense 2nd spot is ours but I think we’ll probably miss out.

Strange thing is, as much as I’m enjoying this run and would love to see us go up, I prefer life in the championship over the premierleague

Fulham Fred's, 1927 and sealion like this.
  12. mx wcfc

As a Reading fan, I used to say this too. Until this season.

13. mod

mod A modernist

Yeah the prospect of dropping into the 3rd division is terrifying. The standard of football down there is fucking dreadful. Empty stadiums. Overweight players. You’ll be a match made in heaven. Enjoy!

sealion and mx wcfc like this.
  14. brixtonblade

I'm not optimistic about Tuesday.... would be delighted with a point

mod likes this.
  15. sealion

16. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

This league is really taking shape now, I had an acca including four teams that are in cracking form, Villa, M'boro, Fulham and Cardiff (£62 return on a £1.50 stake :))
    I really should have added Millwall in there, is that five away wins on the trot now sealion ?

It's amazing how much Wolves lead has been cut back and I do believe they have some tough away games coming up.

mod, sealion, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Good start for Draco Malfoy :thumbs: :D

18. sealion

Yes, we hadn't won away this season until we beat Leeds in January, now it's five on the spin. The down side is that we have drawn five of our last seven home games, in all we are ten games unbeaten . We have dropped points against teams down the bottom, losing at home to Burton and Barnsley. It's the Millwall way, we are at our best (fans and players) when we are the underdog. We won't make sixth spot unless we win eight and draw two from the last ten games. It won't happen as we have to play Fulham, Boro, Villa amongst others. I never expected us to do so well and a decent finish might tempt our chairman to spend a bit so we have a right go next season. We have some good players on a third of what other teams are prepared to pay, so hanging on to them is vital as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  19. sealion

Fez909 likes this.
  20. sealion

editor likes this.
  21. sealion

Nine wins from the last nine home games for Fulham and havn't conceded in the last five at home.

22. mod

mod A modernist

Just back from The Cottage. What a signing Mitrovic is proving to be. He has 5 goals in his last 4 games. Don’t understand why Newcastle let him come to Fulham as he oozes premier league ability and class.

BCBlues likes this.
  23. sealion

It's all about momentum now and i think Wolves might chuck it away. Villa , Cardiff and Boro away might be the sucker punches after a long season. It will be an exciting fight right to the end.

BCBlues and Fez909 like this.
  24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Bamford on fire for boro. 7 goals in last 4.

With Traore's red card being overturned, I reckon we're in with a good shout at staying in the playoffs.

Hope so, as Adama has finally turned into a proper footballer, and I can't see us holding onto him if we don't go up.

BCBlues and sealion like this.
  25. sealion

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

BCBlues likes this.
  27. sealion

Just about to write that! When he's good he can be lethal.

Fez909 likes this.
  28. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Everyone thought he was too lightweight for the Championship, but his season before our promotion he was so good. It's weird how he hasn't worked anywhere else. And even under Monk earlier in the season he just didn't look to have it in him.

Odd player, but yep, great if you can get him performing.

sealion likes this.
  29. sealion

It is indeed. I stumbled across it but didn't think it would last all season what with the tv rights etc. It must be legit.
    Let it go :D

30. sealion

We have a few players i reckon could play at higher level but they are inconsistent. The younguns in our crowd get onto them when they are playing under par, i tell them, if they could do it week in week out they wouldn't be playing for us :D

Fez909 likes this.