The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

2. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

3. sealion

It is. Still very young too!

4. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

I'm beginning to get a bit nervous about our play-off hopes tbh.

Still, if every single result goes our way then there's still hope.... ah fuck it.

sealion likes this.
  5. sealion

We are playing you next week, are you coming down for it ? I notice your away form is better than home any particular reason for that ?

6. The Octagon

I'm actually a displaced Yorkshireman in Surrey, so not too far away, but no cash this month (just moved), planning on a few nearby away games towards the end of the season though.

No idea on the home vs away form, Hillsborough isn't always the most forgiving place when the team isn't performing, especially after the last 2 seasons of better football and near-promotion, it's very possible the pressure is off when we're travelling. Either way the FA Cup is the only thing keeping us positive at the moment, if we can turn over Swansea (unlikely) it could give us enough of a bump to finish the season comfortably mid-table rather than looking nervously over our shoulder.

sealion likes this.
  7. sealion

The bottom half of the table is very tight and hard to call at the moment. I still think we are not safe yet but my son thinks i'm daft ( he hasn't been following us for forty years :D) so he's still an optimist.

Fez909 likes this.
  8. mod

mod A modernist

Having seen you play I think you will finish comfortably mid table.

Massive game for Fulham this Saturday at home to Villa. The two form teams in the division and a win will reduce the gap to 4 points between us and really give us a shot at automatic promotion this season.

sealion likes this.
  9. sealion

You are probably right but when you have followed this mob for so long, then anything is possible including complete implosion. I've been going to long :D

10. sealion

Good luck mate. Should be a great game and a near to full house

11. mod

mod A modernist

Yeah it'll sell out but I cant make it unfortunately. Gutted actually.

12. The Octagon

Football eh?

:D

13. sealion

I put a fiver on 5 teams to win . They all did apart from Derby :mad:

14. The Octagon

I could apologise, but you'd feel the insincerity across London

Fez909 and sealion like this.
  15. sealion

The Octagon likes this.
  16. The Octagon

Good strike from Joao on that 2nd goal, nice to see our strikers actually scoring

sealion likes this.
  17. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

My workmate, Bolton fan, went to this. Besides Bolton being truly terrible he said Cardiff were deeply unimpressive and played very basic and limited football. He thought the idea of them making it to the Premier League was laughable. Not that they might not make it, just what will happen to them if they do.

sealion likes this.
  18. sealion

I said after seeing them at ours that they were nothing special, basic with big lumps typical of a Warnock team. They went over very easy but got up quickly when the ref never fell (no pun intended) for it.

19. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Agree
    Honestly ive never ever seen a game that seemed to be so dominated by throw ins
    Maybe it was just me but just seemed to be 2 or 3 of their players bombing the ball in and all seemed to have long throws
    A bit of Stoke mark 2 from yrs ago !
    I do think the experts might be right about Warnock when they say his ok in the champs or lower division but cant seem to make the next step up when his teams get in the prem
    To spend all that money and have the resources they have i think their style of play was very basic

sealion likes this.
  20. sealion

There's a few managers like that, Steve Bruce and Warnock being the standouts. If the chairmen did there homework they would sack them on the day they get promoted.

21. sealion

22. sealion

mod likes this.
  23. sealion

24. sealion

25. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

sealion likes this.
  26. bendeus

As a lapsed Bloobirds fan that's exactly my take on it on today's viewing. Bunch of big lumps with a strong defence and a very decent target man up front who does fuck all else except hold the ball up.

Seriously like watching football from the 90s. Retrograde stuff.

sealion likes this.
  27. sealion

No shit :D Warnock and Pulis anti football roadshow.

28. sealion

But it is working for Warnock so it won't change.

bendeus likes this.
  29. bendeus

I actually think they were worse on the eye than the halcyon days of Leo Fortune-West, which takes some doing

sealion likes this.
  30. sealion

Looked like a comfortable win today mod

mod likes this.