The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Wow, wow, wow.

People on the boro forums think Karanaka is coming back?! :eek:

That would be "typical boro". Sack the most promising manager we've had in years, only to re-appoint him half a season later.

He made us fromidable in defence, but we play some of the most dour football I've ever seen. I'd have him back though. I got the feeling he was building something here. You gotta start at the back....

I feel if we'd done what Burnley did, when they stood by Dyche even after their relegation, we'd be in a similar position to them now - though maybe not quite so high flying as they are.

sealion likes this.
  2. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

You could be talking about Steve Bruce there - who's had far longer than Monk had. Sadly, however, he's still in a job.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Fez909 likes this.
  3. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

so what do you think of Rowett?

4. pppPenguin

pppPenguin Well-Known Member

No problem. Although I’m not sure if we are? We’re winning and scoring a lot, but we don’t look convincing. Maybe that’ll come later.

I think he’s a typically English manager, very much like Sean Dyche. Talks a lot about remaining solid. Sees positives in a game where it’s difficult to see where he’s coming from.

The style of football is so far removed from what McClaren had us playing, it’s not pretty on the eye. But as Millwall found out today, switch off and we’ll punish teams.

Lorca likes this.
  5. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

and, back to normal

Reading 1-2 Burton

It is at times like this, that I am glad I follow Winchester City these days. 5-1 win yesterday.

sealion likes this.
  6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Apparently Garry Monk is Boro's shortest ever managerial reign! Impressive work, Draco :thumbs:

sealion likes this.
  7. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

8. The Octagon

That game did for 2 managers, don't see that very often

Fez909 likes this.
  9. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

A safe/boring appointment. Knows how to get and keep clubs in the Premier League, which I guess is what we need now.

I get the feeling the fans are going to happy about this, even though his teams play the same defensive football they've slated our last couple of decent managers for.

I'd rather we had someone else, tbh. Someone who could potentially take us places while playing enjoyable football. We know exactly what we are going to get here: mild successes playing a very specific style of football that will never let you win the league, or be great to watch, but one that will keep you out of serious danger

Meh. Wake me up in three years, hopefully when we're in the Prem, and are replacing him with a new exciting appointment.

Lorca and sealion like this.
  11. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Careful what you wish for. Pardew doesn't seem to be able to get out the negative defensive mindset at WBA after a few years of Pulis and they look championship bound

Decent result for Millwall earlier sealion . Did you manage to get up that early after a day of excess :D

Fez909 likes this.
  12. sealion

It was considering wolves hadn't conceded a goal in four games. Bad defending again today and some poor finishing has cost us a win. Still a good result and should be a boost with Qpr and that fucking clown of a manager due at the Den on Friday.
    No trains mate :mad: im 50 odd miles away, so i got stoned and listened to it on the radio.

13. sealion

14. BCBlues

I'm liking it. That's what I do most Saturdays these days throw in BBC red button as well.
    A vital few points on offer against QPR Friday then come the end of the season.

Can't believe how well Bristol City are doing, where did that come from :eek:

15. sealion

I don't like missing games and very rarely do, the spliff and radio option was a nice alternative.
    We will certainly be up for it on and off the pitch. The hatred and abuse in store for the returning fuckwit will add to the atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if one of ours gets on the pitch and irons him out. The will also be a welcoming committee for him pre match in the car park :D

16. sealion

There owner has few quid but i think it's more to do with the manager. Good luck to them.

17. BCBlues

I don't go no more, nearer 60 than 16 these days dunno if I could last two hours out there. I miss it but I doubt the atmosphere would be anywhere near what i grew up with so yeah it's have a little bet, get some beer on the go and put the radio on.
    Fair play if you give him dogs abuse, he set Millwall back a few years, im surprised JB put up with it.

sealion likes this.
  18. The Octagon

Usual post-sacking bump for us, Reach's goal was a peach too, interesting to see how long Bullen gets before a new manager comes in.

sealion likes this.
  19. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Yep. Time to call time. We need change before it is too late. Too many chances Bruce. There are many who could do much better.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  20. Lorca

yep, you should definitely sack Steve Bruce.

21. sealion

22. BCBlues

Good crowd down there last night sealion.

Let me guess the odd one was QPRs away following :D

23. sealion

They couldn't sell out the away end the mouthy wankers, hundreds of empty seats going spare. It wasn't a great game and probably the worst we have played at home in a good while. Typical blood and thunder derby match that never got going. Qpr or more importantly Holloway came not lose and offered nothing going forward but long balls, We huffed and puffed after a good start where we should have scored at least twice. Qpr look worse then we did under Holloway and he uses the same system although he doesn't have the players to execute it. Hopefully he takes them down but he's a lucky fucker and may well fluke survival.
    Millwall 1-0 Queens Park Rangers (CHAMPIONSHIP) Highlights

BCBlues and brixtonblade like this.
  24. sealion

25. sealion

Some unexpected results this weekend. Don't know whether it's just a crazy league or the busy schedule catching up with teams going full pelt.

26. Lorca

yeah, great result for blues today, played really well, deservedly beating Leeds 1- 0 and we looked nothing like a bottom of the league team. seems to be a confidence issue with us, so that could have been a one off, we'll see! still think our manager Steve Coterill is a journeyman but at least we have a bit of hope after today. if we can sign a ball playing midfielder in January we will be a decent team imho.

in other news, lots of rumours saying Che Adams could be going to derby for 12 million. crazy money!

27. sealion

krink likes this.
  28. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

sealion I was talking to a pal who went and he said we looked OK but probably didn't deserve the win but yes, we'll take the win :D

sealion likes this.
  29. sealion

brixtonblade likes this.
  30. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

This is much better. I still think Bruce needs to go, but putting the little guys in their rightful place is rightful.

Perhaps we're on our way to the top above Wolves?