The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Our poor start to the season has stuffed us. Yes results are improving but even in the form tables, we aren't really cutting it. It's disappointing after last year's play off final defeat, but there isn't the money to buy a squad capable of promotion.

sealion likes this.
  2. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

It's a very tough league to get promoted from with some big clubs fighting it out for 3 places. As it stands, i reckon the current top six will still be there at the end of season.

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Not going to argue with that. pretty reasonable conclusion. it is a bloody hard division to get out of. Having seen us lose three championship play off finals that is something I am pretty sure about. :(

sealion likes this.
  4. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I think we're touch and go... havent been the same since Coutts got injured. Got Preston and Villa coming up - need some points out of those two.

5. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

I've given up on top 6, the sides above us look far more consistent and solid, we can't seem to get a run together despite an overabundance of striking options and on paper a decent defence.

Think Carlos might not be long for this job either if we don't pick up sharpish.

6. sealion

You have two good strikers in Sharp and Clarke and Donaldson as back up so always have a chance of nicking a win with the attacking style you play. It's not the worst time to hit a sticky patch either.
    We should have beat both of them but havn't got a fox in the box to convert the chances we create. Preston seem to play for draws and Villa under Bruce are quite negative.
    How long is he out for ?

brixtonblade likes this.
  7. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Out all season. Smashed his leg to bits.

8. sealion

9. The Octagon

Wolves tonight, 21 points ahead of us already, I'll take a draw but we've got too many of them already, fingers crossed for a decent game.

sealion likes this.
  10. sealion

They do look good but you have a decent home record. A draw is not beyond you! We have them on boxing day, the only home game i won't make this season :mad: Bastard trains :rolleyes:

11. sealion

It is looking that way atm. Maybe sixth place will be doable come the run in.

The Octagon likes this.
  12. The Octagon

Always a chance in this league, a hell of a lot more consistency required in the 2nd half of the season though.

13. sealion

I notice you have some goalscorers in your squad . Foresteri Rhodes Hooper Fletcher and Boyd, do they play much ?

14. The Octagon

Forestieri is probably our most creative player but is out with an injury (might be getting close to coming back over the new year).

It's mostly Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes rotating at the mo, but only Hooper has managed to get a run of goals.

Didn't even realise Boyd was still with us to be honest :oops:

sealion likes this.
  15. sealion

He was a right handful when he played for Watford at our place, Very tricky and fast.
    Maybe you need a settled pairing.
    Neither me until i looked! He was decent at Burnley when he played.

16. The Octagon

We've also got David Hirst's 17 year old son George scoring for fun in our reserves and the England youth team (can't remember which one), surprised he hasn't been given a shot yet.

17. sealion

Like his dad then :)

The Octagon likes this.
  18. sealion

19. The Octagon

Played decently but no end product, Wolves took their chance and that was that. Frustrating game to watch

20. sealion

21. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Wolves, whose supporters have complained all season about opposition teams being over physical, win game by being over physical, scoring from a free kick that should never have been given, and finish game with 11 players on field whenby rights they should have been reduced to 10 before half time!

22. sealion

Good win for us today against boro. Boro knocked it about well and looked good on the ball but need to mix it up a bit in this league. They look more suited to the prem the way Gary Monk has them playing. Another wanker ref spoiling the game and giving us nothing until we went two up then he decided he liked us . We have taken 7 points from 9, against teams 3 teams i expected little from .

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Fez909, passenger and The39thStep like this.
  23. sealion

24. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Superb result , they were amongst the pre season favourites to go straight up

sealion likes this.
  25. sealion

Typical Millwall ! Take points from Leeds, norwich, Sheffield united, Villa, Cardiff and now Boro but roll over aginst the likes of Burton and Barnsley. Always been the way. I think if had boro scored first then there ball retention and pass and move would have caused us problems. They opened up a bit after we scored and we should have been 3 up at half time. They have some very good technical players but they don't play as a team.

26. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Haven't dared go on the boro forums today...they're a nightmare of negativity at the best of times, but it'll be unbearable today I reckon. Gets worse with every loss, the sense of entitlement is so strong.

Meh, though. With the money spent, they should be doing a lot better.

Well done on the win :(

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

lol, top thread at the minute:
    etc etc

sealion likes this.
  28. sealion

29. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

sealion likes this.
  30. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Not just Millwall ,that’s the Championship, which is why it’s the best league in the world!

brixtonblade likes this.