1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The championship thread 2017-18

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Thought i would start one early.

Six new teams join a very tough looking division. Millwall-Bolton and Sheffield united all promoted are joined by Sunderland-Hull and Middlesboro from the promised land :D. I will be happy if my team Millwall manage to stay up and take a few big scalps along the way.

Fixtures here,,BBC Sport - Football - Championship Fixtures

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    passenger and pocketscience like this.
  2. sealion

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Fez909 likes this.
  3. Lorca

Lorca Somebody, after all, had to make a start.

my team, birmingham city supposedly looking to sign John Terry, somewhat implausibly. Though I heard the Vile and Swansea are after him as well. Actually hope we don't sign him tbh, its the sort of signing that can bankrupt a club like us. 'Arry obviously got some serious money from somewhere though and wheeling and dealing already - David Stockdale on a free, great signing. I actually predict the play-offs for us this season and I also predict the vile and the dingles to get relegated! :thumbs:

Ungrateful, sealion and Badgers like this.
  4. mod

mod A modernist

Slavisa Jokanovic has signed a new contract and is staying. Best manager we've had since Roy Hodgson. We've turned down £20 million from Newcastle for Tom Cairney and Jokanovic said he's not going to be sold. So things are looking positive and we are in a very good place to improve from a strong season last year. Confident of another top 6 finish but we should really be aiming top two 'IF' we sign a class striker.

Saying that, when the fixtures were released the other day I did think 'blimey there's some big teams in the division this season' and our opening 4 fixtures are very tough.

Norwich City (Home)

Reading (Away)

Leeds United (Away)

Sheffield Wednesday (home)

We'll have a very good idea how we will do next season after those games!

Hard to say how Millwall will do but this is a very very unpredictable division. Its one of it's charms.

sealion likes this.
  5. mod

mod A modernist

Agree Stockdale on a free is a wonderful signing. He was our 2nd choice keeper (behind the world class Mark Schwarzer) for many years and we all rated him highly. I feel so, so sorry for the club that ends up with that odious and tainted John Terry. What a disgusting human.

sealion likes this.
  6. sealion

Redknapp is trying to get him another pay day. Harry, a dodgy owner and possibly Jt. What could possibly go wrong.

Lorca likes this.
  7. sealion

8. sealion

Home form will be vital for us. Barnsley and Burton managed to stay up last season so there is hope.

9. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Very pleased that Sheffield United are finally out of League 1. Lots of games in/around London too which is great for me.

Hoping we stay up and that the others don't go up.

sealion likes this.
  10. sealion

It's an awful league to be in. Poor quality of football, shit refs and very few away fans to add to the atmosphere. Good luck for the season.

11. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

I have no clue how we're going to do this season, we've been close twice now and retained all the important personnel, but I worry we've not done enough to strengthen in the face of what looks like a really competitive league.

Forestieri needs to have a good season and our strikers need to start quickly.

I'd like to see George Hirst given a proper run in the team, he's been on fire for the youth team and England under-20s, his dad was a legend for us and (name drop alert) a family friend, so it'd be amazing if he could break through and make an impact.

Looking forward to the Sheffield Derbys though, been a while.

12. brixtonblade

It was fine for a couple of seasons... Loads of new grounds. Novelty soon wore off though!

13. brixtonblade

Oh yes!

(although I can't say I'm entirely looking forward to them.... too stressful!)

14. sealion

I never want to see fleetwood or rochdale again :D Tick em off the list and never return.

15. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

True, I don't 'enjoy' them at all, but I appreciate the passion on show and hope for the best.

Good luck (apart from those two games and if you have a chance to deny us promotion / play offs ;))

brixtonblade likes this.
  16. sealion

17. technical

technical stripey

The only time you can really enjoy a derby match is when the final whistle goes and you've won. Build up and match are too stressful - worst feeling in the world losing at home to your nearest neighbours.

Having said that - looking forward to the season already, particularly with a visit to Fulham fairly early on.

I don't know if you've heard anything octagon, but i've heard that young George Hirst may well be on his way.

18. SE25

SE25 1 sec lemme chat about road

Millwall back in the big time then

19. sealion

You are due to go bust again soon aren't you. Wanker.

bromley likes this.
  20. SE25

SE25 1 sec lemme chat about road

someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed

(it's not due for another 3 years actually)

21. sealion

You posted a dig looking for a response, you got one.
    Don't be so sure. Your shitty little club had to take out a loan from next seasons tv money to pay your inflated wage bill. No money spent on that dump you play in and players on 80k a week. I can't wait for meltdown when it happens again :D

bromley likes this.
  22. sealion

23. sealion

24. sealion

25. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

leeds have an owner who is actually serious about investing in the club shock!

Leeds United become owners of Elland Road once again

finally an owner who actually seems to want to do something with the club - after the parade of crooks, chancers and clowns we've had to endure for the past ten years. MOT!

26. technical

technical stripey

Bristol City paying over £5m for a player. Unbelievable.

27. sealion

28. sealion

29. sealion

30. sealion