The Championship 2018/19 thread

Discussion in 'football' started by sealion, Jul 12, 2018.

1. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Here we go again. Welcome to Rotherham, Blackburn, Wigan, Stoke, West brom and Swansea.
    Stoke are current favourites and slightly edging West brom in the bookies odds for promotion.
    Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich are the early favourites for relegation with most bookies. Leeds look like they have a decent manager and money to spend. Frank Lampard and Derby will be expected to do well, Villa with no parachutes payments and possibly losing Jack Grealish to the prem, could well struggle.
    Enjoy the ride :cool:

pocketscience, mod, Fez909 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rebelda

Rebelda Gas Mark 4 on the Lovely Oven

Already looking forward to Leeds at the den on 15/9 :thumbs: and Villa away on my birthday :cool:

3. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

It's West Brom, capital B :D

Gonna be a great league to watch again.
    Super Frank at Derby and Jody Morris too who played a big part in the Youth Cup successes at Chelsea.

And if Millwall carry on where they left off they could be in with a shout this year.

sealion and Rebelda like this.
  4. Rebelda

I agree. Can't wait.

5. BCBlues

My lads a season ticket holder at the Hawthorns. He was a bit gloomy about the drop especially with Wolves going up but I explained how good fixtures will be against Villa and Blues, Millwall, Leeds,Forest, the Sheffield clubs Bristol City, Derby, Boro. It really is a great league to be in this year.

6. Rebelda

Yep. Some fantastic local derbies this season. Interesting form, enough new faces, walks all over the prem imo (but then I would say that :D).

7. sealion

Apart from the top six, i agree and the clubs coming down don't have the financial clout they once did. Am looking forward to Leeds coming to us after we turned them over twice last season. The atmoshphere for this one is always electric.

8. sealion

Palace thread that way >>>>

9. BCBlues

It's palace with a little pee :D

sealion likes this.
  10. mod

mod A modernist

Just got my ticket for Fulham Vs Crystal Palace. Our first game back in the Premiership. £49! Forty-nine-fucking-quid.

I'm going to miss the Championship.

pocketscience, sealion and BCBlues like this.
  11. mod

mod A modernist

Good luck Millwall. I'll be keeping an eye on you this season.

Villa will struggle. massive gamble last season backfiring badly.

sealion - I'm based in Brighton fulltime now. Give me a shout if you fancy watching a Millwall or Fulham game on the box in a boozer.

sealion likes this.
  12. pppPenguin

pppPenguin Well-Known Member

Up the Rams!

Frankie Lampard, even though he's a fresh new manager, it's just such a massive name and he's come to Derby. Jody Morris with an excellent rep at youth level, Shay Given as coach as well.

It's all rather exciting, which, after the bore fest of Gary Rowett is a lovely change of scene.

Mason Mount has already signed on loan from Chelsea with a great reputation, having been on loan at Vitesse and maybe Harry Wilson from Liverpool. I love to see that from Derby, giving young English lads a chance in the first team. Got a couple coming through the ranks ourselves in Omar Bogle and Luke Thomas.

Looking forward to club football coming back!!

sealion and BCBlues like this.
  13. sealion

Welcome to the promised land :D It's worth paying that just to laugh at the Palace ultras!

14. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

fucking swansea...

15. sealion

Ta mate, we havn't spent much and have a fight on to keep certain players that others are chasing. I agree with you on Villa and have no sympathy for any club that's gambled and came unstuck, fuck em all, as we say at the Den. Hope you enjoy the season too! You should be okay and your style of play should catch a few teams out.

mod likes this.
  16. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

First game of the new season and return to the Championship, away at Brentford. I hope Paul Warne continues with the progress made. But, personally I would have preferred another season in League One.
    Leeds away on the 18th, oh joy!
    At least there are enough local derbies this year, shame about Barnsley and Donny missing out.

17. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Omar Bogle who has never been at Derby even at youth level?:confused:

18. pppPenguin

pppPenguin Well-Known Member

Sorry yeah, meant Jayden Bogle.

19. sealion

20. BCBlues

21. sealion

He's been around the block a few times without playing much football. A decent player when he can be bothered.

I hear they are after Thiery Henry as manager.

22. 1927

Grealish still likely to leave tho as he has head turned by Spurs, but it’s gonna cost them a bit more than they thought!

Villa’s problems are not just cash flow tho, they have FPP issues which means they may still have to sell players.

sealion likes this.
  23. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Don't go writing Villa off so easily. We remain a big, historic club. We have a very nice new kit. Pretty sure Prince William can have a word with mummy about the tax problems ;)

I think Grealish knows a move would be risky. He isn't good enough yet to hold a first team spot at Premiership level, and I believe he truly wants to stay. The money will come.

We need a brand new, fresh approach with more young names at all levels. I won't be disappointed if the rebuilding means another Two seasons in the Championship. It is no bad place to be.

24. 1927

A big club historically. Right now you’re a championship club and your history counts for feck all.
    If you think Grealish is gonna turn down the wages Spurs can offer you are disillusioned to the point of insanity

sealion likes this.
  25. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

It isn't just about money, but yes - unlikely any player would turn it down. Grealish could easily get lost in a Spurs squad. Ultimately, that could cost more. I am sure he knows it would be a gamble.

E2a...

Villa have to sell of course.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  26. sealion

Fez909 What shape are Boro at going into Saturdays opener with us? Had a skim of the boro forums and some seem unhappy with Pullis and the lack of signings, others seem to be more pragmatic, what's your opinion on how things are going?

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I've not really been keeping up with it all. check in the forums every now and then to see if we've signed anyone - last I saw we hadn't. And the bids for Traore keep coming in - he might have even gone now?

Meh season incoming, IMO.

Which forum do you check btw? I usually read fmttm but fuck that place is toxic. There's One Boro, which seems more sensible/level-headed, but the site is a bit more indepth than fmttm so I avoid it (don't need another time sink like this place!)

sealion likes this.
  28. sealion

That's the one i look in on. I find most Footy forums are quite divided and often toxic.

Fez909 likes this.
  29. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Potter at Swansea is an interesting choice, squads very thin though

30. sealion