The bus was on diversion and the driver is lost. HELP!

Discussion in 'transport' started by tim, Feb 2, 2018.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

300towards East Ham. We have just driven round lots of hospital slip roads

2. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Panic over we're back on the track

Slo-mo, 5t3IIa, krtek a houby and 7 others like this.
  3. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

Act I and Act II.
    Fin

:D

tim, Slo-mo, 5t3IIa and 14 others like this.
  4. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

What a lovely short (ahem) diversion

Was talking to one of the lunchtime supervisors at work the other day and she said her sister had got on a bus that was taking the wrong route completely, so she asked the driver about it. Apparently he'd been driving a certain route for a while, then moved route but got up that day and had absent-mindedly been driving the wrong one for FIVE HOURS without anyone mentioning it :D

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. Sea Star

Sea Star FUCK OFF

Lacks detail. Too short. 3/10

7. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

A good friend (with no sense of direction) was a coach driver for years. His tales of getting lost when on diversion and appealing to his passengers for help were legion. :D

8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A year or two back I was on a 38 coming along shaftesbury Avenue heading for Victoria. I was sure the driver took a wrong turn and made sure he wasn't on diversion before I went down and helped him get back on the right route. Felt dreadful for him. Fortunately there could only have been a dozen people on the bus. :eek:

Sue likes this.
  9. tim

tim Well-Known Member

During
    It didn't feel too short at the time. However, as we spent much of the time skimming from speed hump to speed hump I was unable to give a more detailed commentary.

Anyway, here goes. A message comes to the driver telling him that he is on diversion, and he requests but is not really given a detailed alternative route. I harumph audibly at this point. A woman who wants to to go to the hospital boards and a long conversation ensues in which it is clear to all but aforementioned woman that the driver had no Idea if we will go near the hospital or not. We set of down a side street and give somebody going to the top of the street a lift He is surprised to see a bus at all. He suggests turning right, buy admits he might be wrong. We turn right and continue for a few minutes. The driver asks me, I if I have any ideas. I brusquely tell him I don't. We turn down a slip road that leads us onto the hospital site, so clearly the woman should have stayed with us . We drive round mini roundabouts and reverse a couple of times. Finally we meet another bus and its driver directs us back to the correct route. The bus is boarded by mardy folk complaining about the wait they have had.

I am grateful that the 300 is a single decker as I'm not sure that the driver would have coped well with a low bridge. I find it odd that buses don't have a satnav or at least equip drivers with an A-Z.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    marty21, Mation, muscovyduck and 3 others like this.
  10. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

You have a Blockbuster there. :)

marty21, Mation and tim like this.
  11. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

The bus I used to get in Leeds would at least once a week forget to turn into the business park I worked on and go straight on at the roundabout, leading to a chorus of fucksakes from most of the people on board. One of those services where one bus a day in each direction went through there as a variation from the regular route, otherwise a 10-15 minute walk from the next stop. I don't miss First fuckwit buses.

tim likes this.
  12. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to endless night

Was on a bus with 50 kids in a choir all heading to a choral competition that was being held
    140 km away.
    The bus driver got us as far as the town and then he got lost.
    By the time we arrived at the hall, we could hear our choir name being called out. We had to walk through the audience with all our bags and stuff...keyboard....drum kit....rattling away all the way up..climb on stage and set up.
    Some of us (me) didn't even have a chance to take the coat off.
    The choir sang really well and the drummer was feckin brilliant considering his snare drum had crashed to the ground as he got on stage.

We won the prize for "largest choir"*...:D

*May have been a consolation prize.....:D

Eta. The bus driver, who had been a very chatty man, didn't open his mouth all the way home....lol

A380 likes this.
  13. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Ah, life in the bus lane

sealion, Teaboy and PippinTook like this.
  14. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

15. PippinTook

16. PippinTook

Found it :D

That's me sorted for the afternoon...

17. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Had a St Albans to Watford bus for rail replacement inadvertently got to Brent Cross via the M1 one afternoon - they were not used again shall we say.

Another one - Bridgend to Neath found the A465 and ended up in Aberdare - (Hirwaun to be precise)

tim likes this.
  18. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Years ago my kids school bus had either overheated or run out of water. I was on nodding terms with the driver. Cue a proper 50 seater coach, full of kids, painted bright yellow driving down my very narrow residential street so I could help the driver top up with my garden hose. At morning rush hour...

Dogsauce and tim like this.
  19. tim

tim Well-Known Member

On the 300 again and we've just changed drivers. The new driver has just asked us. if this is a Canning Town bus.

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

To which, I hope you replied, “no it’s the express service to Southend Pier”

21. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

One time on the bus going home from school, bus full of loud teenagers, the driver missed a turning to go down some residential streets on the normal route and carried on down the major A-road. He had to stop and did a 3-point turn to undo his error, (which in a bus was more like a 6-point turn), blocking traffic while doing it. Us kids were overjoyed at the guys error and gave him hell....poor bloke.

tim likes this.
  22. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

If you’re sitting upstairs, be ready to duck!

Pickman's model and tim like this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Was on a 344 earlier and approaching Vauxhall bus station. We pulled into a very narrow one way street and as we came to the end, we were met by a bus coming towards us. Looking at the road signs, we had definitely travelled the wrong way down a one way street. The bus I was on tried to reverse away from it but couldn't. We squeezed through in the end.