1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brixton Pound would like your input - especially if you don't use it!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by simonautomatic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

friendofdorothy and Greebo like this.
  2. catriona

catriona chickweed

This thread is working well as a B£ promo - I've just signed up to try the e currency.
    I did try using the notes years ago but got the strong impression traders preferred regular cash

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  3. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

Thanks for signing up Catriona. The notes have their place and serve a variety of purposes, but you're right in that they aren't ideal for actual trading. The e-currency was created with this in mind, I think you'll find it a pretty good experience.

Some great contributions so far at the Country Show, we've had names like Jimmy Rogers of Brixton Topcats, the man who looks after the toilets on Pope's Road, Jon from Brixton Market who has been there as long as Stuart but with less profile, John Higgins who bought the Bon Marche centre, and a certain Editor was mentioned also...

editor and Gramsci like this.
  4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

How about the late Pat, Albert Landlady? not famous beyond Brixton but well loved and memorable to anyone who met her.
    [​IMG]

or Linton Kwezi Johnson? because he is a true legend - for anyone who doesn't know why see http://literature.britishcouncil.org/linton-kwesi-johnson and he still lives here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  5. tompound

Pat seems like the kind of person we're keen to capture and celebrate on the note - fame beyond Brixton is not part of the criteria at all. Linton Kwesi Johnson was actually in the running to have a whole note to himself back when the first editions were printed, but just missed out in the end.

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

All understandable suggestions except - why the chap who bought the Bon Marche Centre? What's the story there - beyond the fact of him buying the center, that is?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pat from the Albert would be a great suggestion.

8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

9. tompound

The person who suggested it gave the reason that he admired his entrepreneurship, along those lines.

10. Rushy

Oh.

How about the chap from Dalberg Road who bought the Academy for a (real) pound.

11. tompound

Well we're only following suggestions for now, so consider him in the mix!

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. tompound

Thanks for the plug Ed. We're hoping that this will create a lot of positives in the area, and of course be good fun. Happy to answer any questions in here.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

The image “adds a significant and provocative message that reflects our intention to raise the conversation of how we understand, use and value money in this time of economic instability and what we could aspire to in the future.”?? That is some A+ art wank right there. :D

16. tompound

Well it's a good thing that it's done by a grade A artist and not some chancer then :D

Gramsci, Tricky Skills and Greebo like this.
  17. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

How I miss the KLF and their deconstructionism of contemporary art.

18. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Love the KLF. I am justified and ancient

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

He had Bon Marche built - then went bust as Anita Rodick delighted in telling the nation here:

20. Rushy

Bought. Not built.

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

So who us John Higgins - and how doe "the centre" relate to Liptons Retail then?

I had assumed Liptons were now the freeholder - is it actually Bon Marche Centre or has the building been split?

I hadn't heard of John Higgins, so unless the idea of having him on a Brixton note is to stimulate discussion I think I agree with your comments above.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. tompound