1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brixton Pound would like your input - especially if you don't use it!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by simonautomatic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

Hi. Joker here. More than happy to take on board criticism around the B£ but you are definitely unfair to frame it as a scheme that is in any way duplicitous or that traders are somehow strong armed into something that they don't want or aren't aware of.

Very, very few traders 'cash out' and exchange back into sterling. Increasingly we see traders spending their balances on supplies or using Brixton as their leisure base. Many owners are, for the first time, eating in each others' restaurants. I don't think there's a business in Brixton that takes the B£ that hasn't benefited from some kind of free promotion of their specific business, not to mention the general campaign around shopping locally.

The B£ is not an 'alternative currency' in the sense that we are not telling people to abandon their sterling altogether. Look at it as a complementary currency, one that can do things that sterling can't. Thanks to the B£, Lambeth staff are donating a % of their salary to local charities like the Brixton Food Bank. That's a good thing, isn't it?

Brixton is changing at an incredible rate, and we only need to look to other parts of London to see how the general pattern goes. The B£ (along with lots of other local initiatives), is trying to see if that change can take place in a way that preserves local character and is to the benefit of everyone, not just those who have a disposable income.

2. tompound

If this were to happen on a large scale, then yes, it would be a problem! However it seems to be quite a micro issue so doesn't really have an impact. If you did want to purchase notes to be given as gifts then we have the first edition notes, which are no longer valid.

3. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

How much are they? :hmm:

4. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

Aye. I know of someone who they came after because he was swapping honey from his hives for meat from the local butcher.

So after much argument he caved in. And left a beehive on the tax office doorstep.

FTR, he's an absolute twat. But I can't help but salute that particular move.

muscovyduck likes this.
  5. Corax

6. Pinggoombah

Pinggoombah Well-Known Member

Back in 2008, Tim Harford, Undercover Economist for the FT explained it better than I ever could.
    and he concludes

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

But how is Brixton Pound going to preserve local character and benefit everyone exactly? Especially now as a lot of people in area are starting to be affected by cuts and wage freezes.

I am not against B£ but see it more as a marketing thing than as something that will preserve local character and benefit the less well of in Brixton area. Looks to me like main use of it is in bars/ cafes / restaurents.

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  8. tompound

Hi Gramsci, thanks for your points and sorry I haven't replied sooner. I think that it's natural for the B£ to have more of a marketing impact in the early years of its existence, which I don't think is a bad thing at all - there are lots of local businesses (B£ and non-B£) who don't have the resources to run such campaigns and I think most have benefited from it.

Of course we want to see the B£ used and accepted in places that serve everyday needs. Let's see what happens over the next few months. Anyhow, creating awareness around the local economy, and having created a currency - the first and only in London - that celebrates local heroes, art and activism, that seems to me a pretty good attempt at preserving local character.

In terms of benefiting everyone, especially those affected by austerity, I can assure you that it's something we aspire to. We've certainly made donating to local charities easier. A campaign for economic justice and practical activities that support this aim are how we'd like to work. Again, I hope that's something we can do more of in the near future.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Beyond the novelty of owning a note with Bowie on it, what the flying fuck is the point of this? It's promoting segregation, not integration. Not what brixton stands for, in my eyes anyway.

Pinggoombah likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Greebo likes this.
  12. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Got 10pc off yesterday by paying with Brixton pounds (text) at Market Row Wines.

13. Pinggoombah

Pinggoombah Well-Known Member

They could have given you 10% discount without demanding that you use a seperate currency. It's a grant funded local marketing scheme, nothing more.

14. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I think this is where I came in.

Greebo likes this.
  15. tompound

Evening all, just a quick one to highlight that we are currently running an offer where if an existing pay-by-text user gets a friend to sign up, we credit both accounts with £5. There is no time limit on how long someone has been an existing user, so if you sign up now then that's valid. I just thought maybe there could be some people interested here. This offer is only available until Friday, we're just playing around with the idea of incentives and we'll be introducing a new one next week where if you can persuade a local business to sign up for pay-by-text, we'll credit your account with £20.

Once you get confirmation from your friend that they have registered, send an email to info@brixtonpound.org informing us of their name and we'll credit both accounts.

We're very happy that you can now use pay-by-text at Nour and Brixton Whole Foods, so claim this bonus and there's plenty you can do with it!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. Corax

Can I use it at the Polish minimarket on the high street yet?

17. tompound

No, I haven't been in for a chat there yet. I've shopped in there a few times but am unfamiliar with the management. Do you think they'd be receptive?

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. If others have similar suggestions then I'm all ears. And as I said, we will be trialing the scheme where you can earn B£s if you can get a business to sign up, so if you have a good relationship with one then perhaps it's a good opportunity.

18. Corax

Cool. You must be booming. Didn't realise you'd spread this far already.

19. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

'Rax you really must stop toying with newbies like this. :D

Of course the Brixton pound has (perhaps) spread as far south as you by now, anyone could carry it or send it to the South coast; persuading shopkeepers to accept it's another thing entirely.

Corax likes this.
  20. tompound

Hi everyone. Just a quick heads up, we are looking to design a new B£ note to mark five years since the launch. We're looking for nominations however this time with a difference. Rather than David Bowie or Olive Morris, we're interested in the unsung, the people who have contributed or still do to Brixton life but probably won't ever get a mural or building named after them. We'll be going round asking people over the next few weeks, taking nominations by email, and I'm happy to also take anyone nominated on this board. For the moment we're just looking for names and the reason why in your eyes they're a Brixton hero.

All the info is here: http://brixtonpound.org/2014/new-special-edition-b-note-nominate-your-brixton-hero/

Look forward to the (serious and non-serious) suggestions ;-)

editor likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/04/the-finest-cobbler-in-brixton-jay-in-reliance-arcade/

catriona and tompound like this.
  22. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

For sheer longevity, the lady who sometimes works on the fruit and veg stall on the intersection of Electric Ave and Electric Lane (I'm afraid I know her as Dave's Mum :oops: so not sure what her name is - someone else on here will know). She's been working on the market since (and during) the 2nd world war and her kids and their kids all work on there as well :)

23. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

I second this nomination! She's an amazing lady who deserves to be celebrated. I think her name is Reenie.

Gramsci, tompound and colacubes like this.
  24. tompound

Just to clarify I think we'll go with a collage like the cover of Sgt Pepper, so there is room for a fair few people! Some of the names that have come up so far across various channels:

Jay the cobbler
    Reenie the fruit and veg trader
    Solomon from the Brixton Soup Kitchen
    Maxi Jazz
    Roofdog
    Steve Reid

25. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Surely the person who nominated Steve Reed was taking the piss :hmm:

madolesance, Tricky Skills and editor like this.
  26. tompound

I think they might have been ;-)

Tricky Skills and colacubes like this.
  27. Corax

Hi Tom,

Any news on when you might reach out to Shirley? I think you'd find a lot of enthusiasm. :cool:

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

She always knows what apples I want too!

madolesance and colacubes like this.
  29. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

How about Alfie?

Or Stuart the Watch?

Greebo, catriona, Gramsci and 2 others like this.
  30. catriona

catriona chickweed

tompound and Greebo like this.