1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brixton Pound would like your input - especially if you don't use it!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by simonautomatic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Wishful thinking. All those iPad hipsters and 4x4-pram-wielding folk probably do live around here now.

I went in the market the on Sat for the first time in a long time. Every single eating place had a massive queue of identikit off-duty yuppie. very depressing.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe, but if they do, they're generally nowhere to be seen in the week.

3. story

story Changing the facts

They work at proper jobs unlike us reprobates, degenerates and malingerers.

ETA appropriate smiley to indicate non-serious response.

4. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Interesting today to read that the newly-elected Mayor of Bristol is to take his salary in Bristol£...publicity stunt perhaps but raises profile of local currency....

5. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

The point being that it's not true, and that's why they don't do it.

6. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

Not used it yet cos I've been away two weekends running and have also avoided my regular visits to the Phoenix Caff due to a nutritional experiment suggested by Mrs Hatter...

I forgot that Kaff do it...might go there tonight and drink cheap cider ;)

7. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

I've just started using the electronic payment thing. It's slick, I'm impressed.

EXCITED EDIT: and if you pay for your coffee with e£B at the Breadroom you get a free refill! I fucking LOVE freebies. :cool:

8. almostwendy

almostwendy New Member

Susan from the Brixton Pound here. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on here and also got in touch with us.

If anyone else does want to come to one of the focus groups there are still a few spaces left:
    - for people who like the idea and use the B£ either: Weds 28th Nov at 6.30pm, Tues 4th Dec at 3.30pm (sign up here)
    - people who like the idea but never used it: Tues 4th Dec at 6.30pm (sign up here)
    - people who aren't convinced by the idea: Weds 5th Dec 6.30pm (sign up here)

We'll give you £20 (in B£e, Bowies, or Sterling as you wish) to say thanks for coming along.

9. almostwendy

almostwendy New Member

sorry to hear this, can you drop a quick email to business@brixtonpound.org and I'll follow this up?

10. Brixton Hatter

I've used it quite a lot now - very easy and quick, money gets transferred instantly. Traders in the scheme all have their details posted right next to the counter. From what I've gathered talking to them, none of them mind using it and they say it's easy to administer. All good :)

11. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

done

12. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

13. Brixton Hatter

lol, great investigative journalism

14. Brixton Hatter

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Still think this is a great idea.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  17. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I am wondering whether the Brixton pound is taxable in the same way as cash. If I perform a service for someone, pay in B£, is that more of a barter than a financial transaction and then it is not subject to income tax?

18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I think HMRC covered off bartering as a way of avoiding tax some time ago.

19. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

Thanks Editor for putting the questions across, I was very happy to answer them and hope that others feel welcome to engage with us and air their views. It's interesting reading through this discussion - lots of the ideas suggested by people are very much shared by the B£ team. Any ongoing feedback or ideas that come through here will certainly be picked up!

Re. HMRC/tax, there's no issue here. We're registered as a voucher scheme and businesses declare this as they would cash or any other redeemable voucher.

muscovyduck and editor like this.
  20. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Fair enough. It was just me thinking aloud.

I have to admit, I bought a lot of B£ notes as presents. Sent some back to Ireland, up to Middlesbrough, my boss has one pinned up on his desk.

Is this positive or negative? I've given you £1 which will never be redeemed, like a cheque which will never be cashed. On the other hand, it takes a B£ out of general circulation and might undermine the project if too many do it.

21. Pinggoombah

Pinggoombah Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone takes these jokers seriously.

At least they've abandoned the 10% discount scheme, which was never going to work.

22. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

I can't take seriously anyone who shopped/ate/drank in Brixton and didn't use the 10% discount. Free money!

colacubes likes this.
  23. Pinggoombah

Yeah. That's right. They made free money.

It almost sounds too good to be true.

24. leanderman

...which, annoyingly, is why it must end.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  25. Pinggoombah

No. It had to end because it was an ill-concieved attempt to force local retailers to pay for the Brixton Pound's marketing costs. They, quite rightly, rejected it.

The Brixton Pound is a nothing more than a clever marketing scheme, just like book tokens or Tesco gift vouchers.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  26. leanderman

It worked for me

And the discount directed me to traders who took it, rather than those who didn't.

27. Pinggoombah

There will always be some people who fall for these marketing ploys, but you don't need to run an 'alternative currency' to be able to give discounts to certain customers.

Greebo likes this.
  28. leanderman

It was all a ploy? - I now feel such an idiot for paying less for my burgers (Honest) and beer (White Horse) etc etc!

editor and Winot like this.
  29. Pinggoombah

It wasn't you that was tricked, it was the traders.

Greebo likes this.
  30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Some traders signed up, others didn't. At least one signed up then after a while left the scheme. It's just possible that they took a view based on the balance between the marketing draw and the hit (which was never 10% - it was 10% minus the cost of handling alternative transactions).

leanderman likes this.