1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brixton Pound would like your input - especially if you don't use it!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by simonautomatic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Me too.

2. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain how the discount works? Who's subsidising it? I can't see why the businesses that take the £B would just cut their prices by 10%.

3. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

How very rude. You come to the forum, a well known and utilised community resource, to seek participation in your consultation only to be derisive of the people who respond. What a silly way to conduct yourself. If you want community support may I suggest you try not to alienate those who respond to you.
    This website has been supportive of the Brixton pound it is the ONLY medium that has brought it to my attention, plus editor has allowed you to promote your consultation here too so your churlishness is most ungracious. All other B£ promotion has obviously passed me by so I don't think you're fully appreciative of the free an effective promotion this website has provided. That's rather rude and silly.

The Brixton rec is a facility utilised by lots of people from all sorts of backgrounds, integrating the Brixton Rec and B£ would bring new users to the scheme and might prove useful to more members of the community than it currently is. Though my views are of marginal significance as I don't want to be part of your focus group due to lack of time/guts.

muscovyduck and Gramsci like this.
  4. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Why not have the focus group at an offline? :D

editor likes this.
  5. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

Traders subsidise it, that's why they don't like it.

6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The B£ view is this:

So for B£ the discount means that local traders get increased trade through taking B£. Also if people get paid in B£ then are then more likely to spend it in local independent shops. ( I notice those who take part of pay in B£ also get a bonus for it as well. I wonder if there were not these incentives people would use it? )

There are local shops I use anyway. B£ or not. So B£ does not get me to use them more. The main reason I might use it is the discount. But I do not think it would increase the number of local shops I would use.

If I got a discount on my Council Tax for paying with B£ I would use it.

7. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Offered to join their focus group, email saying they would be in touch then nothing.

8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

That was clearly the view of Honest Burgers when I paid by text there recently.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine a lot of Honest Burgers clientèle won't be from Brixton, so aren't likely to be particularly interested in the Brixton £ anyway.

10. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

So how is it sustainable? If I was a trader I'd reject it out of hand. Times are tough enough without cutting your prices by 10% and getting bugger all in return, except the admin of dealing with yet another form of payment. There has to be more to it...maybe the discount is part-funded by grants? Can someone from B£ explain?

11. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

The physical Brixton Pounds have no discount, so the only cost to traders is the extra administration costs. The pay-by-text Brixton ePounds are worth 10% less, and are mostly accepted by smaller traders who are less financially literate, or don't mind taking the 10% hit.

12. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

There is no "extra admin" on the eB£ - the money goes straight into the traders' accounts. So it's actually easier than cash.

13. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

Have just completed the B£ survey. It is targetted at those who have used the scheme, rather than for people like me that haven't, so it did feel a bit of a waste of time. I would have thought there might be interesting things to learn from non B£ users e.g. reasons for non take up/barriers to using the scheme etc - but maybe the B£ team know these issues already.

14. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Yes, it does assume that you are broadly pro the scheme and so talks about how it can be improved. I sort of understand this, because they are working for B£, but agree that they are missing a trick not talking to those who aren't participating as they don't think it's a particularly good idea.

15. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

That seems slightly bonkers given the title of this thread in particular

16. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

The title is sort of OK. They assume that you are either 'in favour and using', or 'in favour and not using'. They aren't interested in the opinions of people who aren't in favour at all. But since they are inviting responses from everyone, they ought to cover this off in the questions.

17. Gramsci

So they were not all that happy when u paid by text?

18. Gramsci

Why are the ePounds worth 10% less to traders?

19. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

No, to be fair they didn't give that impression when I paid. However I was chatting to the owner afterwards and made a joke that investing in burgers gave a better return than the stock market (because of the instant 10% return). He pulled a face and said that he was paying that 10% which was why traders didn't like it.

20. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

Nonsense. Dealing with an extra payment method requires extra bookkeeping effort. Accepting more or less cash doesn't really affect things that much.

21. Brixton Hatter

Adding a column to a spreadsheet takes seconds. And AFAIK many businesses actually have to pay a % to bank cash, so accepting less cash is a good thing for them - this is why supermarkets offer cashback.

22. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

If it were so easy then traders would also have an incentive to accept any of the other many pay-by-text services, (which don't charge 10%). It isn't: they dont.

23. Brixton Hatter

well i think 100+ businesses in Brixton *have* accepted the pay by text service, and use it regularly. The difference is this one is designed to promote independent businesses in the local area.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Have you used it yet BH? We signed up same day but I have not yet :facepalm: and only remembered in the Kaff Bar last night, after I had handed over a tenner in the old money :facepalm:

25. BlackJamaican

BlackJamaican Unhomophobic Member

Harsh words Mr....you work for the Secret Service? Or you just like hurting peoples feelings? Whether the scheme is good or bad someone is trying to do something, their giving it a 'go'. There are better ways to say something this negative.....but who am I to know about such things.

26. story

story Changing the facts

Maybe traders take the 10% "hit" because they think that it generates more trade in the end?

I visit the Breadroom far more often than I might otherwise, because of the free coffee I get in return for the coffee I buy with a B£. And I'll buy a pastry or sandwich more often than I might otherwise as well. And I take friends there, cos I can buy a coffee and get one free for them, and the one coffee usually becomes two more, with a Danish on the side.

I'd say that I've certainly spent more money in there as a result of getting the freebie.

muscovyduck likes this.
  27. Elgar

Elgar 1857–1934

If what you say is true, then they should give a free coffee to everyone, not just Brixton Pound users.

28. story

story Changing the facts

Well maybe you should just go and ask them why they're so stupid rather than just speculating.

29. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

:confused: Lots of posters here eat at Honest Burgers.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sure a handful do, but I'm guessing that a lot of people travel in to eat there, given the publicity its had.