1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brixton Pound would like your input - especially if you don't use it!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by simonautomatic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Do you also tip using the Brixton Pound?

2. simonautomatic

simonautomatic B£ magnate

They are supposed to check on their own phone, however Christian @ breadroom had his old business partner's phone number registered with the scheme for ages. We've sorted this out now so he should be able to verify your payments independently.

3. simonautomatic

No reason why not. Some people like to use the notes for tips.

Onket likes this.
  4. simonautomatic

Good points. I'm basically immune to scepticism and negativity these days, everyone who works or has worked on the B£ time has to deal with these comments and concerns all the time - not surprising given the ground breaking nature of the scheme. So I'm quite used to being a punchbag. Luckily, there are a large number of people who are overwhelmingly positive and supportive of the scheme - not least our many volunteers, businesses and scheme members.

Great that you have signed up - far better to judge something when you have tried using it!

Thanks also to everyone who has contacted me via email. We are filling up the focus group spaces nicely. It takes a lot more guts to engage in person, rather than taking potshots on a forum.

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

:confused: Was that at me? If so I wasn't taking potshots, merely offering some advice based on 7 years of working as a researcher. But hey, it's your show, you run it the way you want.

6. simonautomatic

We'd love to. But in a two hour focus group, we need people who will put their views forward without reservation. No time for wallflowers I'm afraid! However, we do also have a user survey online at the moment, we'd encourage feedback there as well: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FKPJXJK

7. simonautomatic

Not at all! I've just replied to your feedback, which was useful.

8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Fair enough. Be warned tho, take your findings with a good pinch of salt. How many people are you looking to talk to in total?
    OK, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Greebo likes this.
  9. simonautomatic

Oops, I see why you thought that. I accidentally quoted you in my response to Brixton Hatter. Sorry 'about that! Corrected it now. More haste less speed I guess . . .

10. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Ignoring peoples' views just because they're coming through this medium rather than a focus group aint too smart. Arguably you'll get more thought out comments on here than in a focus group. Both have their place.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I really think that you sometimes undermine your cause with comments like this. Why does it matter how the comment is conveyed to you?

Surely you'd want to hear as many people's opinions as possible, and not just the self selecting ones that have the time and the inclination to attend your focus groups?

12. simonautomatic

By the time our draft strategic plan is ready ( December this year), we will have talked to:
    • 300 Lambeth Council staff (via survey, although many in person as well)
    • 231 businesses
    • 100+ users who complete the survey (please help us increase this figure by clicking here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FKPJXJK )
    • 32 focus group attendees
    • 15 Brixton BID board members
    • 8 B£ board members
    • Various councillors, local community groups and charities
    And we will happily accept feedback from anyone else who wishes to contribute something constructive.
    No views are ignored. Just forgive me if we can't respond to everything.

editor likes this.
  13. TruXta

TruXta tired

Nice, those are decent numbers.

Greebo and simonautomatic like this.
  14. simonautomatic

I'm in violent agreement with you. Try not to read *too* much into my comments though ;-)

15. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Why not?

Why not take note of the feedback here as part of the consultation?

16. Gramsci

Now ur winding me up.

If thats all you think Urban75 stay off it.

Not all of us have the time to go to meetings all the time. I use the internet a lot as it keeps me in touch with what is going on. And is a helpful medium to do stuff like the Rec and Brixton Square issues

As someone who says they are doing a groundbreaking scheme you could learn a bit about how social media is becoming more used.

As far as I am concerned its as good as but different from face to face discussion. Do you really think on social media people do not engage as people?

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  17. Gramsci

My main problem with local currency is that I do not feel I need to use it. I use some local shops on a regular basis anyway.

Also most people who are not that well off use Iceland. I use it and its busy. For many people Pound shops and Iceland mean they can just about get by. I do not see that Brixton pound has any relevance for my fellow shoppers at Iceland. So how can it made more useful for the less well off?

The way its pushed is that its to encourage people to use local shops.

What is local currency for apart from being a good PR for Brixton? And the Council can use it as PR for itself. Whilst not exactly doing much in concrete terms to protect our local economy.

Example -- Market loses car park for Tescos benefit with connivance of Council. Also remember a Cllr telling market traders this loss of car park was an opportunity to use more green forms of delivery.

So what is idea behind local currency?

This is what I think the local currency is really about from looking at TT literature . It is part of Transition Town strategy to encourage local supply links rather than ecologically poor long chains of supply. To get people to start thinking locally now "peak oil" has been reached. Which is fine if you buy into that ideology.

But imo it should be more explicitly stated on the Brixton Pound website.

The other problem I have with this is that Brixton has international links. Many foodstuffs come from abroad. How does that fit in with local supply chains and local currency? I can see how it can work somewhere backwoods like a Totnes ( I come from South West so know whats it like). Its backwoods compared to a giant city like London. London is a multicultural city and also riven by wealth divides. Nothing like sleepy town in South West. Still cannot see how localising currency fits in with London. I am a Brixtonite but London is my city. ( until Im pushed out). One of the things I never liked about South West was its small minded nature. ( you have to live there to understand it). I also lived in Plymouth which as it was a port was more open minded.

If the Brixton pound was a radical alternative to Bankers money ( for that is what it is) and using it would undermine them I reckon I would see a real reason to use it.

muscovyduck, qosno1, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  18. Gramsci

You seem to know your stuff. I was reading this and Germany is mentioned:

Do you know how Germanys regional currencies work? And are there any lessons that Brixton pound could take from German model.

19. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

Good post :)

The electronic version of the B£ - the eB£ if you like - gives you 10% extra on your deposits. So if you put £20 you actually get £22 to spend, which is useful. I think you're right in that the Brixton Pound is probably not on the radar of many people who shop in Iceland, but I wonder if they've actually been targeted?

20. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Slight derail, but not sure if you caught this programme. Was quite eye-opening. You're better off at Tesco basically. Those pound shops are very clever.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-119/episode-1

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Would be good if Nour cash and carry accepted the B£ as they are better than Iceland for a lot of bits

22. Brixton Hatter

Exactly.

23. Brixton Hatter

firky and Onket like this.
  24. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

This is true. We're lucky to have the (actual) market in Brixton.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  25. qosno1

qosno1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that i don't have 2 hours to come along to a focus group. Obviously my opinions are of no use to you as I would give them in a simple time efficient manner on a forum which we are both already engaging with. Oh well, I shall just shut my gob then.

26. simonautomatic

We'd love to hear your feedback here, if you have 5 mins to spare: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FKPJXJK

27. Gramsci

You are right about that. I only buy certain things from poundshops. Like tea. Some of there one pound items are not that cheap. In Brixton the 99p shop is the best one for food.

28. Gramsci

29. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

This is the thing. I don't think it's right to say 'you'd be better off at Tesco' as a blanket statement, as you need to actually look and think about what you're buying. I think (hope?!) most people do. Some things are better at Tesco, or elsewhere, and some things are better value at one of the pounshops.

Brixton Hatter, Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  30. Gramsci

Well I have done the surveymonkey