The British American Project for the successor generation

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by quiquaquo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. quiquaquo

quiquaquo Well-Known Member

2. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

Many of the guests on Newsnight are often members as well.

My understanding of this (briefly) is that it was set up alongside other similar projects in order to center left politicians / journalists / whatever onside with the US, providing them with placements in US foundations and building relationships with US politicians / journalists / whatever.

There is (or was) a similar project in the arts which promoted certain types of art (US modern stuff) over things like Soviet Realism

I have some stuff on this I will go and dig it out.

frogwoman and quiquaquo like this.
  3. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

http://johnpilger.com/articles/how-the-anglo-american-elite-shares-its-values-

tony heath and quiquaquo like this.
  4. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

http://ij-poli-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/british-american-project-needs.html

5. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

http://powerbase.info/index.php/British_American_Project

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

The numerous post-war projects weren't really aimed at soviet realism - the war itself had killed that monstrosity. It was more about fostering the common sense of the idea of individual freedom of expression and the singular artist free of any wider collective commitments or the concept of progress as totalitarian etc- this was the sugar coating that allowed two generations of anglophone leftists to write for encounter and to laud abstract expressionism and so on. See Who Paid the Piper? The CIA and the Cultural Cold War by Frances Stonor Saunders for an in-depth look at this.

frogwoman, tony heath and Dillinger4 like this.
  7. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

Not about the BAP in particular but about the wider covert cultural cold war. A review of 'Who Paid the Piper? The CIA and the Cultural Cold War by Frances Stonor Saunders' by Edward Said in the LRB

http://thurnundtaxis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/hey-mister-you-want-dirty-book.html

8. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

see above ^^

9. butchersapron

Ta

10. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

In addition to Who Paid The Piper, the following are also good:

The CIA, the British Left and the Cold War: Calling the Tune? (Studies in Intelligence) by Hugh Wilford

The Mighty Wurlitzer: How the CIA Played America Paperback by Hugh Wilford

11. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

Err I have some more. But I can't remember what right now. Plenty to go on here though.

12. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

The BAP was a key topic of Lobster through the 90s - see also Robin Ramsay's work on New Labour.

Dillinger4 likes this.
  13. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

The Cold War.
    Russia wasn't insane enough to attack America but America was crazy enough to believe they would.

14. butchersapron

Yep - be carefeul though as the mandleson membership opened the door to it's the jews i knew it types to present a series of unrelated facts as research. (edit: in relation to lobster and other para-political research).

frogwoman, Dillinger4 and likesfish like this.
  15. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

...think that's harsh on Ramsey / Lobster ...

16. butchersapron

I wasn't suggesting they were part of the anti-semitic community, quite the contrary in fact - that their solid evidenced research was misused or functioned as a jump off point for the latter clowns.

frogwoman likes this.
  17. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

sorry...I misread...