1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the black museum

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hash tag, Dec 26, 2014.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Greebo likes this.
  2. Oh yeah I'd love to have a look round there, I've read the two "Black Museum" books by Gordon Honeycombe too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Thames Valley filth have a small one at their HQ. We had to go there to pick up a rig a judge had rightly said we should have back, got there at ten on a Saturday morning and the place was deserted, so we just wandered in and had a nosey, loads of great train robbery stuff and no security at all, very odd.

Would love to see the Met's one!

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Badgers and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  5. I think they're just looking after them until he gets out.

agricola, laptop and Pickman's model like this.
  6. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

To be fair, according to some Home Office sources, a fair bit of the more interesting and "portable" stuff has gone walkies over the years (including most of the Jack the Ripper ephemera, which isn't surprising given how many of the supposedly-sealed files have also disappeared), so you're left with the less portable stuff like Nielsen's stewpot etc.

7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Who'd have thought that a bunch of criminal and corrupt bastards like the Old Bill would do such a thing! :eek:

8. Pickman's model

police force full of thieves shock

Greebo and Quartz like this.
  9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

They've got a small museum for GMP here in Manchester, but as it has really weird opening hours I've never been. Should try to one of these days I suppose. :hmm:

10. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Dartmoor Prison has its own museum too. Mainly uniforms, restraints, homemade convict weapons, the triangle for restraining convicts and the original birch and cat o'nine tails used thereon.

No wonder Tories are fond of law and order.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

there is already a small public display (met police heritage centre) on the ground floor at the empress state building, west brompton

12. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

City of London police have a museum too. It's rarely open (Wednesday mornings when I went) and you have to book ahead and be guided round, but it is still open to the public.

13. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

I've just checked the GMP one, and they are only open for general wandering on Tuesdays between 10 and 3.30. They do tours on other days of the week. A bit poor really, as surely opening on a Saturday would be more sensible. They don't say you have to book ahead - I suspect that requirement for the City of London police is so they can run your name through the PNC to check for outstanding warrants. ;)

Greebo likes this.
  14. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

There were some TV programmes about this one of the Sky channels where they went through a few interesting items and told the story behind them.

Fancy the police wanting to hang onto items that have been used in major crimes, including murders. How dare they...............

Who exactly would they give pans used to boil bodies to....?

15. Bakunin

You'd be surprised. True crime memorabilia is actually very profitable if you have the right buyers and the right artefacts. For example, when former chief hangman Albert Pierrepoint's collection of kit, including ropes, hoods, straps and his fabled 'Execution Diaries' in which he recorded the details of his every execution went for auction they raised over £20,000. His colleague's Harry Allen's collection went for £16,000. You should also consider the veritable cottage industry that's built up around people like Ted Bundy and, most notable, Charles Manson.

16. Pickman's model

hanging on to things that don't belong to you is theft

Badgers likes this.
  17. Bungle73

Not if you're the police and the items in question have been used in, or are directly related to, a crime it's not.

You do know that the police regularly hold auctions of items they've taken off criminals?

And "theft" from who? Denis Nilson? :rolleyes:

18. Pickman's model

oh dear. not only theft - intending to permanently deprive lawful owner - but then profiting from crime. and what is the role of the police in society?

19. Pickman's model

just give it up, you're cocking it up

Badgers likes this.
  20. Bungle73

21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Add hmp wandsworth to the list of prisons with a small museum and very restricted opening hours. The nearby county arms used to display some memrobelia on its walls, which i think has now gone.

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

23. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Yes. You can still steal from a murderer.

I am curious to see if they have those famous binoculars with knives that spring out to of the eye holes when you fiddle with the focus.

24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Is it a permanent or temporary exhibition?

25. Bungle73

26. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

It's really busy/ crowded, still. Have just been. A well balanced exhibition, not sensationalist nor was it in any way challenging. A history of forensics I suppose.

29. Bungle73

Went today. Yeah, it was quite crowded, but interesting. I went in towards the end of the day (had a London Palladium tour in the morning), and was in there until near closing time. Crowds petered out towards the end, so I was able to more easily few the last few items I hadn't looked at yet.

30. Bakunin

Bungle73 likes this.