The best stuff in West Norwood

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ringo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Which is the best chippy? Mrs R has spotted one opposite Sainsburys, reckons it could be good. Is it a proper old chippy or a kebab shop in disguise?

Best caff? We had a reasonable fry up in the Italian one next to Sainsburys, Sorrento I think it's called. Anything better?

2. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

I like this one better than the one mentioned...just past the station. I've not really had time to check the cafes yet, so will be keeping an eye on the thread :)

[​IMG]

Nixon and ringo like this.
  3. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

This is by far the best in the area, no doubt at all.

Greebo, ringo and gaijingirl like this.
  4. ringo

Cheers folks, I shall demand that we try that one tonight :D

5. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

oh! Did your move work out ok? Have you done it?

6. ringo

Yes, nearly fell through, literally at the last minute, but we got it. Massive stress and gamble, not sure I'd take such a risk again, but it was worth it and we got there :)

Greebo, ska invita and RaverDrew like this.
  7. gaijingirl

oh congratulations! That's great news!

ringo likes this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

good news ringo. i`m just along the road at tulse hill.

ringo likes this.
  9. ringo

What a great chippy. First proper chips we've had in ages after living in kebab chip hell for 11 years, missed those crispy bits, and I admire a man who batters his own sausage ;)

10. gaijingirl

:D well we might have to try them so.....

11. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Has anyone tried the Indian restaurant Lal Bagh? Any good?

12. RaverDrew

It used to be really good, then about a year ago I had a few disappointing meals from them, I haven't used them since.

13. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Good to know about Knights Fish Bar. I hadn't tried that, I have been going to Kennedy's which is very good but less convienient.

Efes does really good kebabs.

O Girasol is good too.

14. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

the only good thing about any of norwood is getting to leave it...

15. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

Not true, it's lovely. Especially away from the High Street.

Glad you got your move sorted out ringo.

16. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

if you don't mind the yoot's killing yoots, the excessive violence which has sprung up their the abject poverty the general run down ness of the place or the hellian architecture... yeah it's well jolly second only to croyden... amarrrrzing darlink...

17. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

:D

18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I like its cassette library

19. ringo

Almost 2 months here now, and am almost an expert having had limited kitchen / constant renovations & building work up til now :)

Still rate Knights Fish Bar as the best chippy, although the one opposite Sabinburys isn't that bad.

The builders raved about the M&M chicken shop by the Electric cafe. Tried it last week and felt sick. Awful food, mouth shrivelled up with salt. Suspect most fried chicken is like that though.

Pizza - tried three or four. Papa John's was a bit non-descript, Go-Go OK but thick & bloating, but this weekend we tried The Godfather and have been instantly converted. Proper thin crust Italian style pizzas from a wood fired oven, large range of recognisable and/or interesting styles.

Indian - Old favourite Gousia let us down with bad food once and then gave one of the builders the runs for 3 days. Friday night we tried a new place, bit more expensive for the main dishes, cheap for veggie options, top notch food. Everything was cooked to perfection and everyone loved it, our new favourite:

http://www.easterncuisine.co.uk/#!chef/c42f

Cafe - Mrs R likes Sorrento 'cos they make proper coffee, but I'm not that impressed. My vote has to go to Delicious Cafe (great name :D) next to Greggs. Huge portions of fried food, cooked all nice and that. They even gave the kids a free Tiramisu each as we left. We have to take it in turns to choose :)

Chinese - Thai - have had a couple of quite poor offerings, still searching for the one. Recommendations?

20. gaijingirl

ooh.. will try easterncuisine..

Saffron is also nice (Nepalese) on the Tulse Hill gyratory - it's also a bit more expensive but you notice the difference. For example, I like sag paneer and usually it's tinned/frozen spinach but this is clearly made with fresh spinach and tomatoes and really nice paneer. It tastes so much fresher overall.

The Godfather is good - it's basically the same as Oregano which is at the bottom of Tulse Hill which you should also try.

We also tried (just the once) this Sri Lankan curry delivery which was bloody gorgeous and a bit different. Tasted lighter.
    http://www.hopandspice.com/

Sorry - don't do Chinese, so no help there. I think gaijinboy quite likes the food from Thaicoons for Thai - they don't really do veggie, so I've not really sampled - I think I did once but don't remember it tbh.

Will also have to try Delicious Cafe - not been there yet.

again for delivery really - my friend swears by Indigo - they do dosas and stuff which I love. Been meaning to try it for a while.

http://www.indigo-restaurant.co.uk/index.php

ringo, grosun and Greebo like this.
  21. ringo

Cheers, will check those. I fancy Nepalese, haven't had that for years.

22. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Cafe Castello at the Tulse Hill end is good for decent fried breakfast. Not for those that like them dripping in grease though. 4 quid including a drink or you can supersize it for an extra quid.

23. RaverDrew

Wok U Like, near the railway station/theatre, consistently the best in the area.

24. ringo

Nice one:)

25. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

26. Secateur

Secateur Member

thanks for the thread all, I am *THIS* close to putting an offer down on a house in West Norwood..always good to get some info

@ringo recommend any builders?

27. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

28. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Whilst I'd never big up South Norwood, there's never been a hint of violence in all the years I've lived here. It's a pretty friendly 'chat with the neighbours in the street' sorta place. It's also got pretty standard Victorian housing stock, a few dodgy tower blocks aside.

It's boring, sure, but not the ghetto you describe by any means.

29. ringo

We ended up using an old mate of Mrs R's who did a good job but he's not local - he & decorator came up each Monday from Kent and slept on the sofa all week.

30. ringo

I may have seen you at Tulse Hill station this morning getting the 7:57?