The beautiful seaside town of Tenby, west Wales

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

It was road connections back in the days when the motor industry was huge in Birmingham and mass produced cars were becomming more affordable to the masses. The A5 is still littered with very splendid 'road houses' where cars and coaches would pause.

Rail connections existed, but it was the booming motor industry that made places like Tenby, Barmouth, Borth and Aberystwyth popular holiday destinations with Brummies. Previously, they had remained very posh retreats for the priviledged few (along with Welsh spar towns).

They became too popular at peak holiday times. The A5 follows an old Roman route and has long straights followed by blind corners, or blind hills. With traffic jams from over congestion, accidents and notourious drink drive pile-ups after people paused too much at road houses, the resorts became a less attractive proposition to Southern Spain package deals. The weather was a factor also of course.

As a kid I much preferred Barmouth and Borth. Often used to bunk off college and take a day trip when I should have been sitting, or studying for A levels also. Good memories.

2. dooley

dooley Well-Known Member

why does this thread title remind me of a HMHB song?!

3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I doubt it still exists, but the Springfield Arms on the junction of the A5 and A49 had the best display of urinals you could ever imagine. Two huge rooms full of very grand ceramics. Somewhere ITRO 50 urinals awaiting the hoards from coaches!

e2a; I'm getting mixed up. Tenby was down the A49.

4. Bingo

Bingo Shitty-shoed bastard

Anyone been here recently? We're off for a few days a week on Monday... looking forward to it!!! Can't wait to have a wander round the old streets, wonder if that ace old bookshop is still there. Also wanna find a few wild places in the countryside nearby if anyone knows of any?

Coming down through mid Wales from Leeds so might stop off somewhere nice on way... maybe Builth Wells?!!?

editor likes this.
  5. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Are you camping? There's a beautiful campsite just outside Builth.

Not sure what you mean by wild places. 25 miles short of Tenby you have Llansteffan with a (free) castle to die for looking over the sea. Just past Tenby you have the beautiful Manorbier, amazing beach and brilliant walks which ever way (left or right) you go from the beach. And just past Manorbier you have Stackpole and Bosherston, great walking, Bosherston a must. And keep going 2-3 miles past Bosherston and you come to the army firing range (er...) and St Govans chapel built into the cliff face, lovely cliff top walking. Tbh, there's a million great walks around Pembrokeshire but all those places are easily accessible from Tenby.

6. Bingo

Staying in a guesthouse in Tenby. We're both into natural history so anything out of the way with cool flowers birds etc really.

Yeah I think I walked that way you mentioned last time, about ten years ago, remember a firing range. Think we had to get a taxi back!

7. planetgeli

Home - Quayside lawrenny

You won't find a better place to eat lunch than here. It's address is Lawrenny, Tenby but don't be fooled, it's a good 15 miles (guessing here) from Tenby and a sat nav is almost essential. I'm absolutely serious about it being the best food in Wales and very affordable.

Natural history has to be Bosherston.

Tbh, the firing range you remember could have been anywhere in Pembrokeshire. The army basically own Pembrokeshire, the firing range extends for something like 40-50 miles.

8. Bingo

Wow that does look nice, maybe we can stop there for some grub.

What's in Bosherston?

Ever been as far as that point at Angle?

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. planetgeli

Bosherston you can probably Google. Lily pad ponds, lots of natural history. I was going to recommend the Botanical Gardens too that Editor has said but I thought it might be too commercial as you said wild.

Yeah, Angle is a weird one. It's usually empty because of its location, you look out on the beach and it's stunning - then you turn around and Milford Haven Oil Refinery is in your face. For the effort in getting there, Manorbier, with similar scenery minus oil refinery, beats it hands down.

11. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Bosherston, Pembrokeshire | Lily ponds, lakes and accommodation

The walk around the lily ponds to Broad Haven South (one of my favourite Pemb beaches) is a glorious one. Nearby on the Stackpole Estate is Barafundle Bay, considered one of the finest beaches in the country and only accessible by foot. Outside the school holidays, you're often fairly alone on it.

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Tenby used to have an original Woolworths , very nice place where back in the day the Chapel outings went there

13. fucthest8

fucthest8 Forward ever

Not entirely sure what the rules are about bumping old threads but I don't fucking care. Starting a new one for my holiday pics has to be more cunty. Anyway, first visit to Tenby and on the most beautiful day of the year. Blinding. Lovely place, lovely people everywhere

IMG_20180603_150410.jpg IMG_20180603_131913.jpg

14. fucthest8

fucthest8 Forward ever

FUCKING LOOK AT IT. I love Britain.

JimW, Ponyutd, kebabking and 2 others like this.
  15. planetgeli

I live just down the road (but in Carmarthenshire). There are a few similar beaches. Pendine, where they do land speed record stuff (and you can drive a car on, though I'm not sure that's a good thing). Pembrey. Burry Port (which is a shite 'seaside' town but has even more beach than Tenby to die for, and is always empty). I love Wales. And Britain.

JimW, davesgcr, bimble and 4 others like this.
  16. fucthest8

fucthest8 Forward ever

There's loads, that's for sure. Just never been to Tenby before. Followed it with a visit to Wiseman's Bridge where two "local" loons got chatting to us. It was mental. She was actually local, he was as camp as a row of pink tents full of gay men on a Trade reunion weekend. They're married. Brilliant.

editor likes this.
  17. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

My parents took us on holiday in that area around 1980, staying in an awful chalet type thing with a lot of flies. I remember the beach at Tenby, but otherwise my recollection is fairly hazy. I do remember a tunnel cutting through a headland that you could walk through - not sure if that is in Tenby or somewhere else.

I do remember my parents having an almighty row over my mam's map reading abilities, or lack thereof, as my dad got hopelessly lost on the backroads in the area trying to find the place we were staying at.

kebabking and PippinTook like this.
  18. fucthest8

fucthest8 Forward ever

Sounds like most of my childhood holidays :D :rolleyes:

That tunnel is between Wiseman's Bridge and Saundersfoot, as I was told just last night by the local loons.

ddraig and PippinTook like this.
  19. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

It was for an old tramway, taking coal from the mine at Stepaside down to Saundersfoot Harbour

farmerbarleymow and fucthest8 like this.
  20. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I love that part of Wales, stayed in Saundersfoot and Cresswell Quay and Solva - visited various places in the area, lovely.
    Can't remember some of the names now - where's that place where there's the little Augustus John museum?
    First time I drove a car was on Pendine Sands - my uncle let me have a go (still never learnt to drive though :D )

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    fucthest8 and PippinTook like this.
  21. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

Pembrokeshire is quite fascinating if you're interested in industrial archaeology. I'm only mildly interested, but there are little ports all around the coast that were, in the early days of the Industrial Revolution, actually quite major sites for export. Solva Harbour was one of the best harbours for this part of the coast, and sports limestone kilns for slaking lime for use in the ironmaking process; there was a lot of coal mining along the shores of the Cleddau (and, as at Landshipping, scene of a mining disaster when the Cleddau ended up in the mine), sometimes under it; between Saundersfoot and Stepaside is Pleasant Valley, which is most pleasant, but also the site of an early 19th century ironworks, etc., etc.

JimW, editor, blossie33 and 3 others like this.
  22. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

That top pic brings back memories.

As a child my folks and I would sail our yacht from Cardiff to Tenby and moor just off the beach just as in that pic.

Spent many a time chasing hermit crabs around that beach.

Once whilst moored there a force four gale hit. I slept through it whilst my parents were shitting themselves in fear. I obviously had no idea of the danger.

blossie33 likes this.
  23. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Old Welsh joke...

How do you get to Tenby?

Oneby
    Twoby
    Threeby
    Fourby
    Fiveby
    Sixby
    Sevenby