The beautiful seaside town of Tenby, west Wales

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Sep 12, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We visited this lovely seaside town a couple of weeks ago and I was blown away by its beauty. I'll be posting up a full photo report shortly, but here's a couple of pics so start with...

tenby-beach-wales-10.jpg

tenby-after-the-rain.jpg

Anyone else been to Tenby?

2. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

The beach at Tenby is amazing.

Ralph Llama, Badgers and weltweit like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It is indeed. Huge and wide and wonderfully devoid of people when we took a stroll on a breezy September morning.

Pics soon!

4. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

tenby has 4 beaches :cool:

5. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Used to love visiting as a kid, though it was the posher people who holidayed there; it was the miners holidays in a caravan in Trecco Bay for the likes of us :p

6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

7. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes, I've been there, it's lovely.
    Was last there in the late 90's with my parents, we actually stayed in a caravan on a site near Saundersfoot.
    There's some beautiful countryside in the area :)

8. poisondwarf

poisondwarf I have a chance...and it is fat.

Shitter's ditch as we liked to call it :p

9. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

went there (walked through) about a month ago. really liked it. beautiful.

10. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

haven't been for a long time, but it is a really nice town - gone a bit wild at night, IIRC - in the summer at least...they used to say that it was a place for Brummies to holiday, something to do with train connections I think.

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

camped there last weekend! first time i've been in ooooh, 20 yearrrrrs
    beaches were amazing and good view from campsite which was only £14 for 2 per night
    :)
    will get pics off phone

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

pic from other half
    tenby campsite view.JPG

tenby beach view.jpg

Ralph Llama and BristolEcho like this.
  13. wayward bob

were you way up the hill with a tiny toilet full of spiders and determined seagulls ddraig?

eta: not seagulls in the toilet ;)

ddraig likes this.
  14. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

It's a great place to go in the winter...I spent a lovely week there with a mate in late November some years ago...

Badgers likes this.
  15. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

:D oh yup! :cool:

16. wayward bob

tenby seagulls nicked our tea :( a whole unopened packet of hotdog sausages :mad:

17. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

looks lovely. i will go visit sometime :)

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

really good photos ed

editor likes this.
  20. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Many times - a Georgian gem ! - (used to have the virtually last unrefurbished Woolworths) - great place - did you find some of the quality ice creams.)

21. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

love the pic with the houses from the beach

editor likes this.
  22. s14n

s14n Banned Banned

I Love Tenby, went there as a kid and stayed in kiln park caravan site, my brother and I crawled through what seemed like natural "tunnels" under gorse bushes to get to the beach every day as we preferred it to the path. The little zoo on top of the rock was still open at that time, quite a sad place really as the animals were in such small cages.
    Been a couple of times since for day trips, and still love the place. :)

23. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

We went there last week for our first holiday as a family. It is a truly stunning place, pretty much unique in having so many gorgeous beaches walking distance from a town centre. It's a paradise for young children, and we're already planning to go back next year. My favourite thing that we did was a seal safari round Caldey Island in glorious September sunshine, worth it for the views of the Island let alone the abundant wildlife. Oh, and I'll mention the Hope and Anchor on this thread too, best pub in the town, great food and real ales.

24. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

love it. and caldey island.

25. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

The artist Augustus John was born in Tenby.
    There is a lovely little museum with some of his work and that of his sister Gwen John I remember visiting, can't remember exactly where it is but it's on a hilly bit overlooking the beach.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  26. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Very cute place - just a few miles from where I grew up. Was an isolated fishing town for a long time and developed its own slang among the fishermen - my Dad can speak it but it's impenetrable to me.

Place would have been rammed a month ago.

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

28. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Likely to be rammed again imminently, the weather prospects for this coming weekend and early next week look very unWestWales like ie GOOD! :cool:

We went to Tenby early last November in a similarly unseasonal spell. LOVED the place :) -- and our guest and mate Eva Luna (once a regular on here) was well impressed too ... :cool:

29. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

Spent a summer down there when I was 18. There was this big old hotel right next to the old wall that was due for demolition. The owner let a bunch of us live there for a few months. Amazing place.

30. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

We go there 2 or 3 times a year, always out of season. The Pembrokeshire coast is superb, and Tenby town has a lovely old-world, slightly dilapidated feel that I love.

Shame they're tearing down the old cinema though.

They're looking to develop the old Island fort, btw:
    http://tenbyisland.co.uk/?page_id=317