1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ashes 2017-18

Discussion in 'general sports' started by planetgeli, Nov 3, 2017.

1. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

:D
    It was more of a slam dunk than a drop, lol.
    Geoffrey is always good value, grumpy Man United supporting Yorshireman.

2. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

The best commentator/analyst by a distance is Ricky Ponting. Michael Vaughan is good too but I can't see his 'play a couple of county games' overseas idea going anywhere. The Malan/Stoneman comparison was interesting - I wonder how many others that could be applied to and what Mark Ramprakash has to say about it.

3. PaoloSanchez

I'm not sure I've heard much of Ricky Ponting's analysis, I didn't really listen to too much of the "chat" on BT Sport and mostly listened to TMS. Boycott, Vaughn, Swann, Ebony RB, Marks and McGrath. All pretty good in their own way, a good balance of opinions and insights.

4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Swann? Seriously?

He’s the single worst commentator I’ve ever heard, and I’m including Danny Morrison in that.

5. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I don't mind swann. Anyone is better than Norcross.

6. PaoloSanchez

I've not heard Swann as a commentator (I presume he does that on BT Sport) but I think he's alright on TMS as the commentators sidekick/summariser.

I don't get all the Norcross hate, he's fine.

7. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

^ this - although I extend it to his work as a summariser as well.

His accents are particularly horrid.

8. PaoloSanchez

He was a good sport on innuendo bingo...

Although I thought Aggers one was better...

9. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I don't mind his accents. He's quite good at them at least. I do mind his 'banter' with Simon Mann, which is excruciating to listen to.

Tuffers is both much wittier and has a much keener cricket brain.

But my strong dislike is reserved for Norcross, tbh.

10. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

I have a bit of an irrational hatred of Tuffers...Supposedly edgy establishment light sports entertainer. Tbh I'm just jealous he bowls left arm finger spin*. And managed to carve out a career in the ocean of mediocrity the era provided.:oops:

That said, whilst I'd love the idea of hurling every delivery with the chance you'll get the Hollywood delivery nicking the outside edge...finger spin (common or garden off break) really isn't suited for that kind of Warne-esque rip required (And there is merit in being the consistent (right arm) offy hunting for the bat/pad gap:oops:

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  11. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

The chutzpah and lack of self awareness of Swann The Quitter critiquing our performances is quite something tho.

12. littlebabyjesus

The likes of Agnew, Marks and others understand the rule that you should never make your listener feel awkward. That involves setting your ego aside. Swann hasn't learnt that.

diond and BlueSquareThing like this.
  13. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Swann comes across better when he's commentating live on the telly but can be annoying when he's summarising/analysing on TMS. Maybe he'll improve with time. Luckily the streams were pretty good for most of the series so I didn't have to rely on the radio too much. The thought of more Norcross is enough to put me off cricket altogether.

14. littlebabyjesus

Monty P was your kind of left-armer. ;)

Something to be said for it even as a left-armer.

Much as I love Moeen, he is found out as a bowler with his inability to probe - in India and now Aus, would hate to see his combined record. And we feared this before the start. Surely a form spinner from the CC was worth a punt. That is one thing I don't get at all. For India, they also didn't just pick a hot spinner from the CC - Batty, ffs, Batty. Fuck me, India against Batty? It will never work.

They were just hoping Moeen wouldn't be a disaster with the ball, I think. Ten wickets at 40 in the series, maybe, a la Giles. But he's not even good enough to do a Giles. We all sort of knew that.

Ironically enough, England's been a great place to be a finger spinner in tests in recent years. Swann, Panesar and Ali have all had their best success at home.

Ted Striker likes this.
  15. littlebabyjesus

Squad for NZ announced. Everyone keeps their place except Ball, Ballance and Curran. Wood comes in, plus Livingstone.

No problem with Livingstone. Or Wood for that matter, although one has to think that he's become fit for the wrong tour. Gary Ballance must be wondering what exactly he's done wrong (not that I'm a big fan, but his treatment is puzzling). Basically, nobody is being punished for the Ashes failure. It's that old story of 'everyone failed, so nobody failed'. Not quite sure who's the luckiest to still be there: Stoneman, Vince, Ali, Woakes or Broad.

16. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Stoneman did okay, I thought. We’re not exactly replete with openers and he consistently hit least got us a start. Cook had an amazing innings and loads of shit ones, which was much less helpful in the context of the series as a whole.

Casual Observer likes this.
  17. squirrelp

squirrelp Well-Known Member

Really we need to get the positions sorted out for the next ashes series. The commentary ones. Not so bothered about the players

18. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

As my sleep issues are still ongoing I find myself watching pyjama cricket... Should be a little more even the one sayers

Anyone else glutton for punishment and awake for it?

19. Reiabuzz

Maybe needs a new thread but great work by England today. Roy was very very lucky it has to be said, so many chances. Roots innings was actually far better.

20. littlebabyjesus

So two genuine quicks and a leggie with decent control and a good wrong-un. Add Jimmy Anderson to that mix and you have the makings of a test attack for Australia. Promising stuff ahead of the test seri... oh.

squirrelp and Signal 11 like this.
  21. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Are we calling him Swann The Quitter because he left a tour when physically unable to bowl?

If so, are there people in other jobs who you think should show up for work even when unable to do their jobs? Bus drivers with cataracts, surgeons with Parkinsons, presidents with narcissistic personality disorders and early stage alzheimers?

22. littlebabyjesus

Yeah you can't say his reason for stopping wasn't genuine. His final test match was also his final competitive game of cricket.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  23. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Stokes charged with affray.

24. littlebabyjesus

120 hours' community service, then?

Bet the blokes he hit wish the thing hadn't been filmed. They've copped affray as well.

Spymaster likes this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

3 years chokey max. Not that he'll get anything like that or do any time at all.

26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I think as a free inhabitant he should fail to recognise this common law nonsense.

27. Reiabuzz

So will he be able to travel downunder?

28. littlebabyjesus

Zero chance of doing time, I would have thought. Smart move for all three of them would be to plead guilty and express huge remorse.

Spymaster likes this.
  29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I'm not sure he'd get a visa.

30. Reiabuzz

He's got a kiwi passport presumably. There's free access between NZ and Aus I think?

31. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I think thats only if you do time with regard to an Oz visa. And I think you only have to declare if you've served 12 months or more.

FWIW I reckon he'll get a caution.

Spymaster likes this.