The Anti-Democratic Nature of Liberalism

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by redsquirrel, Oct 31, 2016.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Pleasingly few names on the petition, though. Maybe nobody thinks they're competent to add their name.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

another example for the thread today - Matthew D'ancona Brexit is putting me off this whole ‘will of the people’ idea | Matthew d’Ancona

im not sure though how much this has to do with Liberalism. Its seems much more a class thing, a certain type of arrogant middle/upper class people who fear and distrust the opinions of those below them. I don't see a direct causal connection with liberalism, though clearly there will be a big overlap between the ideology and that class.

I hated the Brexit campaign and the way it was run, but i did enjoy the fact there was a referendum and the tiny sense of empowerment that brought. Id love to see a Swiss model here in the UK

mojo pixy likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

still at 10.

4. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Very nasty piece in the Guardian today by two professor's of government at Harvard.
    Lovely, the actual coup against Chavez (or Erdogan for that matter) are ignored and instead he becomes the subverter of democracy.

Strange I thought it was the US support of dictators that destroyed democracies in Latin America.

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

It's ok - he's dead now.

6. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama ERROR 23 : DEFAULT MODE NETWORK COMPROMISED Banned

Chomsky on the middle classes and it having its head up it's own identity while the shit hit's the fan.

Sunset Tree and mather like this.
  7. Brownglass

Brownglass Banned Banned

Put your claws away sweetheart!

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

What?

I'm coming across post after post by you, and they all seem like out of context interjections. Like the bloke in the seat in front of you on the bus who turns round and says something irrelevant about the conversation you're having with your mate.

Do you know what the thread is about? Do you know what Pickman's model meant by his remark? Do you agree or disagree? What was the point of your weird contribution here?