The Americans

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by big eejit, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

After two episodes I'd say its mediocre. Initially reviews for the show weren't that great, but they improved as it went on, so I may stick with it a little longer.

2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

No :)

3. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

So does it get better as it goes along or should I give up early on ?

4. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Your call. I enjoyed it all :)

JimW likes this.
  5. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Me too. Not a monumental work of televisual art or anything, but entertaining time well spent and found myself very engaged by it all.

6. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Its not Breaking Bad or the Sopranos but a very watchable above average US drama like Brotherhood or Boss. I've watched the whole series and has good pacey episodes which like Walter White, the protagonists slip out of some seemingly impossible boxed corners. Matthew Rhys's character is particularly interesting as he wobbles from his Soviet loyalty but in a more subtle way than just being blinded by burgers and Levis. I suspect he is more of a detente character that can see a world beyond the Cold War rather than a potential defector. We shall see.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Surprised to learn he's Welsh and think he started in Welsh-language soap. Maybe that makes his character even more convincing to US viewers with a good(enough for me certainly)-but-not-entirely-right accent.

8. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

It's not the first US TV he's done. He was in the US series Brothers and Sisters for several years and his US accent was convincing there.

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Ah right. Not watched that so first I'd heard of him. Agree with your earlier points about the rape-as-extra-motive and fed-next-door being clunky, but also with Youngian about the way Rhys's character develops and his conflicts of loyalty.

10. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Yes a Welshman pretending to be a Russian, pretending to be an American. I think he was also the murderer in the final Columbo episode.

11. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

The reason why they employ all these UK actors in Hollywood is because unlike many US actors, most are classically trained and they can do stuff like accents.

12. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I like it so far, up to episode 10 now.

13. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

The scenery is all very vague, it focuses on the characters so much it feels more like a stage play.

14. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

The script for every episode of house

1. Someone gets sick in a weird/funny way.

2. Portishead.

3. House reluctantly/eagerly takes on the case (toss a coin)

4. Team come up with Diagnosis. House disagrees, goes on a tangent.

5. Patient starts to get better.

6. Patient starts to get much much sicker.

7. Team force house to go back to original diagnosis.

8. Patient starts to die.

9. House has a random epiphany based on something inconsequential from the subplot of the week*

10. Patient cured.

11. Credits

*subplot is randomly generated from season to season if in doubt have a funny prank war with Wilson.

I can't believe it ran for like 8 seasons, only the show that was more formalistic was the sodding A-Team.

Idris2002 and youngian like this.
  15. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

Iguana loves the show apparently it gets much better as it goes along. I found the whole FBI agent next door hook-um too much and gave up early on.

I thought the whole, lets keep a double agent in the garage and presume our teenage children won't notice was just stupid, and I kept wondering about their babysitter, when they're both off on night missions.

The period stuff I didn't mind, I always think that if you're spotting anachronism like the wrong car in background the show has much more serious problems than art direction. What annoyed me

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I guess they normally wouldn't do much from one week to the next, certainly not both at the same time at night. But when filming started things suddenly got a bit more hectic and um, less sustainable.

17. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Has anyone else been watching season two? I really rather liked it. Proper story arc and finale, I'm optimistic about season three.

18. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

The problem with The Americans is their penchant for genocide. Maybe try another race, unless you are a major genocide fan.

19. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

I know this is from 2 years ago, but I just started watching last night, expecting it to be really great and I have to say you hit it right on the head there with your breakdown of the show's flaws. Nice job. :)

I'm most bugged by the way it just doesn't look 80's enough, especially the fashions and hairstyles. Ordinary objectification is pretty bad in and of itself, but I keep getting annoyed that they put Keri Russell in these super tight, body-hugging tops that nobody was wearing in the 80's just to add some contrived sex appeal. :rolleyes: I want to see stonewashed mom jeans and flashdance cut-off sweatshirts please :mad:

In all seriousness, though, why do a period drama at all if you're going to do a half-assed job?

I'm going to keep watching though. At least a few more episodes.

Greebo likes this.
  20. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

I like it - it's trash TV - but if you just go along for the ride it's not bad, like most tv shows there's more plot holes in it than a swiss cheese, but if you like swiss cheese...well then you'll enjoy the show.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  21. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I'm still watching this.
    S3 Ep5
    Worth if to hear a 17 year old say "Don't Bogart that joint" :)

22. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Loving Season 4 so far!

23. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

And 5!

What's the Marx book all about then? Is Page going to recruit them now? Or have they already spoken to the authorities and the book is an attempt to get recruited so they can be double agents?

24. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

A great ending to that episode, was Page thinking "look how you fucked me up" or "see, I know now that Pastor Tim doesn't know me".

Slightly disappointed Henry seems to have been sidelined. His friendship with Stan was shaping up to be quite a tense plot device at some point.

25. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

For anyone still watching this: if you want to catch season 5 of one of this then ITV4 are running it, completely without trailing, publicity, warnings or anything, in the middle of the damn night on Mondays (caught s5 ep1 last night by coincidence blipping through channels in the small hours). Can't understand what ITV is playing at, it can't have been a cheap acquisition and it gets a lot of critical love in the USA - surely they should be making more of a meal of it? Even Amazon Prime are charging you to watch it online. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys still being outstanding throughout tho' the CIA propaganda is shining through a bit more obviously these days.