Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

8ball

Hetero Sapiens
After the Sandy Hook shootings I realized that nothing was ever going to happen on that front. Not because we tolerated little children getting shot, but because we tolerated little kids getting shot and tolerated their parents having to move seven times in the years since because of death threats and harassment...
This is one of the most depressing things I've read in a while. :(

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
Oddly enough, more guns are the solution.

Research has shown that shooters take an average of six seconds per gunshot, lining up their shots on victims to kill, providing windows of opportunity to confront the shooter.
That's not really more guns, is it, it's more having one or two guns in a different place

Gimigimi

leaky cyborg
Reading these articles is like listening to an oldies station. They should honestly just fire "John S. Hollywood" :facepalm: and replace him with an AI. Just all the classics. More paranoia, more surveillance, advice on how to prepare for the rambo-style heroic rescue you will inevitably be called upon to carry out. And of course the idiotic and forced "political neutrality":

A recent news report found 36 cases where police records, court proceedings, or other direct evidence shows the assailants were motivated, one way or another, by U.S. political leaders and their rhetoric.
"one way or another". "leaders". You know, it happens on both sides. No need to get too specific here; in fact, it's just that sort of partisan finger-pointing that's the real cause of these shootings.

Although no one expects partisanship to instantly recede, it would be useful if political and opinion leaders did two things. First, forcibly express their belief in the humanity and patriotism of their political opponents.
Patriotism??? Good call, RAND corporation. Why take any actual legislative steps, when we can make a speech saying that there's "good people on both sides of the political aisle"? Shit, you've saved America. Never heard a politician say that before in my life. What a breath of fresh air. Hundreds of lives have been saved. Future mass shooters are watching Joe Biden tell us about all the human patriots he has worked with during his career, tears streaming down their cheeks, smashing their AR-15s with sledgehammers as they realize the error of their ways.

By better detecting attacks in advance, lowering casualties when they happen, and modifying rhetoric so it is less likely to incite violence, we can improve our defenses.
Perfect concluding sentence. Mass shootings are naturalized, presented as something that "just happens", and for which we need to "improve our defences", i.e. purchase shitloads of "security solutions" from various companies and make sure not to say anything too rude while doing politics. Well shit, no problem on that front, I can always buy some more guns to improve my defenses.

There's just this weird nagging feeling I have, as I check my security cameras, polish my katana, look through the armored peephole on my front door and listen to patriotic platitudes softly burbling from my TV. Kind of an isolated, nervous feeling. Oh well, that's normal and there's nothing anyone can do about it except to stay prepared for a mass shooting at all times. I mean, look at how prepared this guy is. He seems pretty chill.

dylanredefined

Not a house elf a tiger
Oddly enough, more guns are the solution.

Research has shown that shooters take an average of six seconds per gunshot, lining up their shots on victims to kill, providing windows of opportunity to confront the shooter.
Bullshit look at the garlic festival shooting police were firing back within a minute still 4 dead and over a dozen wounded. Probably not going to get a faster response time outside of a war zone. Expecting people to do heroic things like attacking someone who has a gun is a dumb plan.

spring-peeper

Colt will stop making AR-15 rifles for the consumer market - CNN

Colt, the manufacturer of the AR-15 rifle, has announced it's exiting the consumer rifle market as demand for high-powered, semi-automatic guns wanes.

The consumer market for rifles has "experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity" and there's too much supply of AR-15 guns on the market to justify making more, the company said in a statement. Colt will still manufacture other consumer guns, including pistols and revolvers, and it will continue to expand its network of dealers.

Colt said its business remains healthy, buoyed by its numerous military and law enforcement contracts.

"Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles," the Connecticut-based company said.

Detroit City

Not a well known member
Even if Colt stops making AR15s today there will still be 11 million of them in circulation. More than enough for any mass shooters of the future. :)

likesfish

an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls
After a presidential hopeful made a speach saying yes we are coming for your ar15s

A texas gunshop sold out of custom bento ar15s :facepalm:.

Guns in America are basically a relegion

likesfish

Longbow used to be the yeomans weapon of choice but nobody's forced to practice archery anymore (except the bastards at blind veterans).

likesfish

Tbf apart from Mr Pendragon I dont think anybody else who wanders about with a sword and frankly somebody dressed up in appropiate clothing to carry a sword isnt really theating even the