Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

8ball

Hetero Sapiens

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Well, I was aware of that, but I figured it was hyper-distant loonie fringe stuff as opposed to day to day tribalism.
I'm overstating it, but there is a definite divide in what people from either side of the spectrum eat, drive, wear, or do in their off-time. You don't see conservatives and liberals meeting up and talking much, which is probably the core of a lot of our problems including mass shootings. I've noticed that the number of people I know on the right has been steadily dropping. We're self-segregating. That divide makes it nearly impossible to work with the "other side" to deal with issues that effect us all.

Last edited:

UnderAnOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
Last time I checked there was a about one gun for every man, woman, and child in the country. It would take generations to shake all the guns out of American society.
And as someone who lives in a society with few guns I can have some sympathy with those folk who are anti gun control, as they know that if the government removed theirs then there would still be a lot out there. Despite the fact they are probably more likely to kill themselves or their family then a criminal with it.

Yossarian

free shrugs
Just in case you were thinking that all mass shooters were white.

View attachment 179837
Most of those incidents were of the "four people injured in a drive-by shooting at a party in Louisville, Kentucky" type, tbf - the "dressing in all in black, posting your manifesto on 4chan or 8chan or wherever, then heading to your local Walmart or kindergarten to kill as many people as possible" type of mass shooting does seem be mostly a white thing.

maomao

四月她爹
Most of those incidents were of the "four people injured in a drive-by shooting at a party in Louisville, Kentucky" type, tbf - the "dressing in all in black, posting your manifesto on 4chan or 8chan or wherever, then heading to your local Walmart or kindergarten to kill as many people as possible" type of mass shooting does seem be mostly a white thing.
Elliot Rodger was mixed race. He had a manifesto.

scifisam

feck! arse! girls! drink!
Yeah. Gang violence has different causes and effects than this lone shooter stuff; the only factor in common is ease of access to weapons. Otherwise it's a bit disingenuous to act like they're the same thing.

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
Trump talks about 'mental illness' being to blame, but does not speak of societal illness, or, to put it better: the President's rhetoric was specifically quoted numerous times by the El-Paso killer in his 'manifesto'. So he is deflecting onto a minority again.
He is deluded, stupid and/or a coward. :D Everyone can see footage of the stuff he's said to stoke things like this, yet he ignores it or won't take ownership. I guess Trump only needs to be a bit smarter than the people who vote for him.

Humberto

If the Son makes you free, ye shall be free indeed
Read something from twitter along the lines that he relaxed restrictions on mentally ill people buying guns as well. What a bollock.

Poot

Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk
Why? Do you think women aren't capable of murder?
No, why would I think they're not capable of murder? My comment wasn't about murder, it was about mass shootings, because that's an unusual crime for women to commit. You don't often hear about it (except when the Boomtown Rats write a song about it).