The American mass shooting thread

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Pickman's model, Feb 14, 2018.

1. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Is it possible that Americans collectively see mass shootings as a regrettable price to pay for something they truly value i.e. the right to bear arms?

So its considered in the same way as deaths from car accidents. A pity, but a price worth paying for the benefit of driving

The victims often seem to be white and middle class or their children. So if that does not prompt change from politicians, nothing possibly can.

2. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Have wingnuts on Twitter started claiming he was ‘antifa’ yet? It’s something of a tradition.

likesfish likes this.
  3. yield

yield zero

Gun deaths increasing after years of decline, study finds
    08/11/18

4. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Good thing he didn't shoot anyone with it.:thumbs:

steveo87, Idris2002, Ax^ and 4 others like this.
  5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Hand-wringing liberal.

Such a genteel village - makes this dangerous activity that more edgy ...

6. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

A other mass shooter with a history of violence against women. Her colleagues persuaded her not to report him after the assault, so not to ruin his career in the US Marine Corps. :mad:

Thousand Oaks Gunman’s High School Coach Speaks About Sexual Assault

7. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

I think they got so far down the road of claiming he was of middle-eastern appearance that people noticed, and they've spent much of the time since blaming the media.

8. petee

petee i'm spartacus

[​IMG]

SpookyFrank and Badgers like this.
  9. agricola

An active shooter in Chicago, near Mercy Hospital (26th and Michigan apparently) according to CNN.

The anchor started the report with, and I quote, "Well here we go again".

10. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

Well, here we go again...

:(

11. editor

editor Forked with electrons

12. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

'But one heartbroken mother spoke out angrily over her son’s death – he had survived the Las Vegas shooting only to die in the tragedy in Thousand Oaks.

“I don’t want prayers. I don’t want thoughts,” said Susan Orfanos, whose 27-year-old son, Telemachus Orfanos, a navy veteran, died on Wednesday night at the Borderline Bar and Grill.

“I want those bastards in Congress … They need to pass gun control so no one else has a child that doesn’t come home,” she said, raising her voice to speak through gritted teeth and tears outside her home in the California suburb 40 miles north-west of Los Angeles.'

'Those bastards need to pass gun control': families of California shooting victims speak out

mojo pixy, a_chap, Lupa and 3 others like this.
  13. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

apparently, the thousands of people who are killed by guns are the necessary price for freedom:mad:.
    Without the ability to pick up a Glock at asda we in the UK are little more than serfs who can be murdered by the government tomorrow:facepalm:

petee likes this.
  14. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Walter Reed Medical Center: Active shooter reported

15. editor

It now says:

16. likesfish

:facepalm::D opps
    but who hasn't caused armed police to be called out due to an exercise.
    But you'd think Sussex police helicopter might recognize a minesweeper

17. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Hopefully something good comes of this. By which I mean something bad happens to Alex Jones.

18. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Good news. Fuck Alex Jones.

19. editor

What a filthy depraved piece of slime he is

likesfish, Badgers and MadeInBedlam like this.
  20. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

He is. He quite deliberately chose to persecute the parents of dead primary-school children to "rebuild his brand".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  21. petee

petee i'm spartacus

i'm a peaceable fellow but if they literally flayed him i wouldn't speak against it.

likesfish, Badgers, a_chap and 4 others like this.
  22. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

I've said it before regarding Alex Jones and lawsuits: I hope they sue him into penury.

23. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I just hope he actually physically bursts at some point, pretty sure he’s come close during staged apoplectic moments in the past.

24. likesfish

I Feel dirty saying this but Piers Morgan can pass as human.

Compared to the mobile pile of shit that is Jones and the truthers about sandy Hook.

8ball, gentlegreen and Badgers like this.
  25. petee

petee i'm spartacus

26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Hand-wringing liberal.

27. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

Five dead in Louisiana shootings

""This is probably one of the worst domestic violence incidents I've seen in quite a while," Sheriff Webre said."

Shooting both your parents makes it the worst for, well "quite a while" :eek: :facepalm: :(

28. likesfish

Problems are the Americans have guns but no responsibility Swiss and Finns have loads of Guns but also have to do National Service which is 6 months to a year of being arsed about in the middle of nowhere rather than shooting random brown people. It does teach you some empathy and in the case of the Finns gives every man a conversation starter about how awful national service was. Wouldnt work in the states too big and they'd use the conscripts to invade Mexico or something :(

29. agricola

If they ever wanted to actually deal with the Second Amendment, going down the "national service" route is the way that offers the best chance of success. You could satisfy the requirements of the amendment by saying everyone could only have an AR-15 and M9, a hundred rounds each and had to be trained in their use - and ban everything else.

likesfish and PursuedByBears like this.
  30. likesfish

A few weeks of carrying them long distances would remove an awful lot of the fetishism of them as while.
    Unfortunately the US government would use its conscript army which rather defeats the object. The idea is too remove the fetishism of guns and the military by making everyone do it and not going to war.