1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The American mass shooting thread

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Pickman's model, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Anyway, it seems completely mental that a society would rather have fortified schools with metal detectors and tooled-up teaching staff, police in tanks and other such measures at a huge financial cost, rather than restrict the availability of military grade weapons to civilians. This is freedom. What a way to organise society.
  2. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Ten and twenty years ago people didn't use to use assault rifles to do these kind of attacks (the Virginia Tech shooter used handguns, Columbine involved a rifle, shotguns and handguns, Northern Illinois featured a shotgun and handguns), possibly because the relevant legislation banning them had only expired in 2004 and the guns hadn't percolated down through the system to a point where they were easily available. The possible affect of the ban on assault weapons with regards to deaths in spree killings is perhaps best illustrated by this graph (from the Wikipedia page on the AWB):

not-bono-ever likes this.
  3. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

And a TEC-9 semi-automatic pistol
  4. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

which looks like a submachine gun it just doesn't fire fully automatic and was the preferred weapon of unsuccessful drug dealers as looks like a machine pistol but very cheap and ideal for hosing down a classroom although it will probably jam before you empty the magazine surprisingly the MoD never tried to buy any :hmm:
  5. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

6. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

CRI likes this.
  7. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

ISIS has a propaganda magazine? :eek: Do people sit on the loo reading reviews of AK-47 cases and 101 ways to make an IED? Actually maybe that's the NRA mag.
    Spymaster and CRI like this.
  8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Think from the convo, it's ISIS on the left, NRA on the right.

Also another puzzler.

9. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

More than one. Googling "Dabiq" or "Rumiyah" will find two of them. They had/have quite a slick media operation going on.
  10. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Ah, online ones I expected. I was just picturing them on the shelves with Take a Break. :D
    Spymaster, CRI and TheHoodedClaw like this.
  11. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

Aye, with articles like "This Season's Hot New Keffiyeh Fabrics", "Jihadi John's Video Review" and <something I actually typed but now regret and I feel bad about>
    likesfish, CRI and scifisam like this.
  12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

ISIS Propaganda Magazine Dabiq For Sale On Amazon, Gets Taken Down

8ball and scifisam like this.
  13. there is FUCK ALL way i am going to download them
    Pickman's model likes this.
  14. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

The film reviews are always disappointingly predictable.
  15. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

Al Quaeda's magazine is called Inspire - I've steered my company away from that twice, as well as two others.
    Funny thing is how blase they can be when you tell them.
  16. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

in the wake of the Florida shooting Alex Jones has fallen foul of one of the survivors who has managed to get his youtube channel banned. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    spikey_r, editor, Nylock and 5 others like this.
  17. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Alex Jones probably thinks there's a conspiracy behind the fact that he's getting owned by a teenager on social media.
  18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

Judging a book by its cover big in America I see
  19. Pickman's model

Yeh best read them online instead
  20. copliker

copliker ...

21. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Not surprised, but this explains the Federal Express reluctance to follow the other firms distancing themselves from the NRA.

"Federal Express: When it absolutely, positively has to . . . corner the market on shipping firearms."

EXCLUSIVE: FedEx’s secret deal with the NRA and the gun industry

22. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

So these fuckers are sticking their beaks in. :mad:

In Oath Keepers Webinar, Student Gun Control Activists Are 'The Enemy'

23. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

24. Pickman's model

i thought the point simple enough for you to get. sad.
  25. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Let me spell it out for you then.

People who ascribe to right wing political views in the US tend to support the NRA, but condemn ISIS. The two posts simply demonstrated how both organisations use very similar imagery to promote their causes. One could go further and note their similar tactics of generating fear to sustain and grow support.

You're welcome! :)
    likesfish likes this.
  26. Pickman's model

yeh? go on then. btw you don't "ascribe to" (presumably you mean subscribe to), you ascribe x to y, so i might ascribe your support for the feeble point you'd make to a lack of critical faculties.

you're very welcome :thumbs:
  27. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Oh, hang me for autocorrect failure then.
  28. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

From that:

Given their past form for actually turning up this could be grim. For one thing they, at the very least, are going to imagine themselves arriving as authority figures over school kids, free to 'take control' of the environment and act like pricks, especially to anyone who makes anti-gun comments. They're not exactly a stable lot either, so you'd be mad to want them armed and near your kids. Plus, if anything ever did happen, any actual police who turned up wouldn't just be facing a rogue shooter but a random smattering of heavily armed militia types getting into the middle of things and playing John Wayne. No way to move them on either is there? If it's an open carry state then they can go where they like more or less.

On (their) plus side it probably would be positive marketing for gun lobbyists though, if I were going to a school where they were hanging around outside with AR15s I'd be looking to invest in firepower of my own.
    likesfish, dylanredefined and CRI like this.
  29. Pickman's model

here's a tip: read your posts before you submit the reply.
  30. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Absolutely. Similar folk turned up after the unrest at Ferguson, MO, and basically only served to inflame the situation.

On a related note, I expect to see more militia/sovereign citizens/oathkeeper types turning up at polling stations during the forthcoming primaries. There were quite a few who turned up at the GE last year. Nothing intimidating about a bunch of white supremacists armed to the teeth outside a polling station. Nope, nothing at all. :hmm:
    dylanredefined likes this.