1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The American mass shooting thread

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Pickman's model, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Badgers likes this.
  2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm sure Trump has courted the NRA. However, is he known to be very pro guns?
  3. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I don't know if he's pro-guns as such, but I think he knows enough not to be pro-control either.

Sad to say, I think Pickman's model is quite right that we don't need multiple threads this year.
    tim, Pickman's model, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  4. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

He wouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

NRA: Russian cash target?

5. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

More guns is what required

Arm everyone with ar-15 based assault rifles open carry at all times in schools, hospitals, religious place of worship and on the street

From open carry for everyone from toddlers to pensioners#

that'll sort the problem
    Ceej and Badgers like this.
  6. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

7. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

17 dead so far. fucking hell. Maybe its worth having a top 10 weasely excuses by the NRA and their mates thread
    Ax^, Rimbaud, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

The NRA re-tweeted this this morning for "Valentines Day." I know it was before the shooting today, but the fact this is so normalised gives me cold chills.

Fulham Fred's and Badgers like this.
  9. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I just don't know what to say about this any more. It's all the bloody time and yet they still can't face the fact that if people didn't have guns, they couldn't go around shooting each other.
    sheothebudworths, Ax^, CRI and 2 others like this.
  10. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

*quote fixed by NRA
  11. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

According to the Guardian this is the 18th, eighteenth FFS! school shooting this year. That must mean there's been at least two a week on average. And still they can't see the link between easy access to guns and the number of people being shot.
    CRI, Badgers and Celyn like this.
  12. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Eek! Is that actually real? Oh hell.:eek:
    CRI and Badgers like this.
  13. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

18th this year? :eek: And we are only in February. Is there no real pressure on government (state and federal) to take a serious look at this problem? Or is the NRA *that* powerful?
    dessiato, CRI and Badgers like this.
  14. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

It's not going to change because too many people who are in a position to change things just don't care - either they're bought and paid for by the NRA or they don't want to lose the votes of people who see mass shootings as a price worth paying for being able to own the guns they think they need to protect themselves from blacks, Mexicans, and terrorists.

President Shithead sure doesn't care - he's tweeted a couple of boilerplate statements about condolences and working closely with law enforcement, but he displays about 10 times more emotion when he's talking about Democrats who don't support his tax plans. He says "No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school," which sounds to me as if he's going to take the position that the answer is more law enforcement officers and other armed people in schools, which is something Congress has found some money for.

I don't know what it would take for them to get serious about gun control - 6 of the 10 deadliest mass shootings in modern US history have taken place in the last 6 years, with three of them in the last 5 months, and they haven't done shit. Congress didn't even end up banning "bump stocks," which not many people had even heard of before, after the Las Vegas shooter used them while killing 58 people.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    sheothebudworths, Celyn, CRI and 2 others like this.
  15. High Voltage

High Voltage Laying in the gutter, looking at the kerb.

I thought 18 shootings sounded a little light

<edit>Blush - don't actually give "the" link to the biggliest more largiest enormously increased number
    Mation, CRI and Pickman's model like this.
  16. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

How long before the conspiracy nuts start on this?:(:mad:
    CRI and Badgers like this.
  17. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Fucking hell. And it just makes me think about statistics around domestic violence shootings in the US (which are horrendous) - and how 54% of mass shootings involve the killing of a current or former partner or family member as well as other victims.
    sheothebudworths, Celyn and CRI like this.
  18. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

As I was blasting away on a gun range in South Africa I wondered why they don't get the gun massacres the US does (aside from the state sanctioned ones involving miners.) High gun murder rate like the US but not the gun massacres like the US.
  19. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

This is not going to change while the USA is so racist; while white supremacy is in place. They will not get rid of their guns while they think there is a chance that people of colour will come after white people for what they have done.
    CRI likes this.
  20. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

That's interesting as gun ownership is significantly higher amongst white males than any other group in the US.
    freethinker and CRI like this.
  21. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

And school shootings are carried out by young white men.
  22. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Yeah but dont worry , donny boy is praying for them. Although im not sure who he is praying to.
  23. dessiato

That is too awful to think about. The Guardian figure claimed 18 school shootings, putting that alongside all shootings... I can't find words to express how sickening this is.
    CRI and PippinTook like this.
  24. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

Cultural thing though innit? There's several countries I can think of off the top of my head that have legal gun ownership where quite a high population own them but don't go blowing each other away every five minutes. I expect there's better controls than America though.

I'm quite sad to say I'm completely desensitised to news of these now. Oh look, another shooting. Oh look, fuck all will be done about it because American society refuses to look in the mirror and acknowledge its own faults.
    Enviro, Nylock, CRI and 3 others like this.
  25. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

What's the situation there with machine guns? If machine guns are hard to get hold of then mass murders are far less likely to happen. That's the main issue in the US. Personally I've no big problem with owning a hand gun, but when nut jobs can easily get hold of high-power rapid fire weapons - and in some cases lots of them - that obviously makes these massacres possible. And inevitable.
    CRI and dessiato like this.
  26. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

The USA is a world-dominating superpower in a precarious position. No other country has that plus the legacy of slavery on its own soil.
    CRI and Doctor Carrot like this.
  27. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

28. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

If twenty six and seven year olds massacred at school didn't make congress act on gun control, nothing will make congress act on gun control.
  29. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Would change happen if one of the victims of a school massacre happened to be a senator's child or a president's son?
  30. dessiato

I'd like to think so. But I think the NRA would still find a way to stop any changes.
    Nylock and CRI like this.