The Amazing Adventures of Joni Mitchell

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Jun 23, 2013.

1. reubeness

reubeness Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread, I loved Joni Mitchell way back when, have five albums - Court and Spark, Blue, Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira and Miles of Aisles - haven't listened to them for many years so this thread brought back some excellent memories.

2. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

So you're missing Song to a Seagull, Clouds, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, For the Roses and several others, then.

3. reubeness

reubeness Well-Known Member

Yes, didn't have much money in those days for music - come to think of it, don't have much money now for music or anything else!

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Wot no !Ladies of the Canyon"?
    Arriviste!!!!

5. Idris2002

Here she not only covers, but reinvents, Dylan's "It's all over now, baby blue":

cesare, BassJunkie and red & green like this.
  6. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

7. Idris2002

Saw the CNN piece about this earlier. They seemed to be writing her off, but as of now it looks like she's rolling with the punches.

8. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Get well soon Joni :)

Idris2002 likes this.
  9. Idris2002

Official diagnosis: it was a brain aneurysm.

http://jezebel.com/joni-mitchell-had-an-aneurism-in-march-remains-in-seri-1707760455

Not looking good.

Anyway, here's Chinese Cafe:

This is from her 1982 Wild Things Run Fast album, which seems to get overlooked a lot. I wouldn't call it a lost classic, but it's definitely underrated. the sound of someone who has been through the wringer romantically, but has come out the other side. "Why don't you love me like you love cocaine" is a typical line, for example.

10. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

An aneurysm, oh no :(

11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

At a brief hearing on Monday, a Los Angeles judge agreed to put the friend, fellow music industry veteran Leslie Morris, in charge of the care and daily affairs of the multi-millionaire music legend.
    The legal petition filed by Miss Morris, who said she and Mitchell had been friends for more than 44 years, attested that the singer ‘remains unconscious and unable to make any responses, and is therefore unable to provide for any of her personal needs’.

The singer’s doctor, Paul Vespa, a professor of neurology and neurosurgery, agreed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ell-fears-s-eaten-alive-bugs-outer-space.html

Representatives close to Mitchell refuted the developments. A statement on Mitchell's official website, and approved by Leslie Morris, read: "Contrary to rumors circulating on the Internet today, Joni is not in a coma. Joni is still in the hospital - but she comprehends, she’s alert, and she has her full senses. A full recovery is expected."

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/85811

12. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Bloody Mail - top comment conflates "Morgellons " with her aneurysm and thence to "drug use" - when the drug most likely to have contributed to the aneurysm is her lifetime heavy tobacco use.

13. Idris2002

I just hope that if she's going to check out soon, she makes things up with her estranged daughter.

14. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Here's a nice picture of her and Graham Nash being free people in Paris...

[​IMG]

Sprocket. likes this.
  15. Idris2002

Oh. My. God.

16. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Wonderful.
    You dance with the lady with a hole in her stocking,
    Didn't it feel good.
    Or:
    In France they kiss on main street,
    Amour, mama, not cheap display

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  17. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

and there on the far right, the geezer with the hat, is the greatest popular musician of the 20th century.

18. Idris2002

Well he's alright, I suppose, if you like that kind of thing.

19. BigMoaner

i know it's a joni thread, but i heard this last night and it struck me as one of the greatest vocals i have ever heard.

20. BigMoaner

elston gunn is a way dylan fans are getting round the copy right

21. BigMoaner

if Shakespeare could sing, and he sang one of his sonnets, i think it would sound like that above clip.

22. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Just heard I will be getting a new vinyl copy of Hejira in my stocking on the 25th.

Idris2002 likes this.
  23. Idris2002

Here's Joni in Montreal 1974, appearing as part of the geezer in the hat's Rolling Thunder review. Sirena, this one includes an early version of "Coyote":

Sprocket. likes this.
  24. Sea Star

Sea Star this is not a tagline

I love Joni Mitchell. Discovered her late but that means its all new to me and sounds great!

Sprocket. likes this.
  25. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

It is always with great trepidation that I click on the latest posts regarding Joni. And once again I sigh with relief.

Chilli.s and gentlegreen like this.
  26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Me too.
    Now that David Bowie has left us I dread to wonder who will be next from my Desert Island Discs...

Sprocket. likes this.
  27. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Hissing O S L is on my desert island disks.

Sprocket. likes this.
  28. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Always on my phones and more than once (slightly shamefully) used as a ringtone.

29. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

I was lead foot Melvin, with a hot wired brain, kissing and giggling, doing Brando impressions in the back seat.
    Oh yesterday, leave me alone!

gentlegreen likes this.
  30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

I first became aware of Joni Mitchell in the early 80s; Thomas Dolby covered "The Jungle Line" on the B side of one of his singles. I only own "Blue" and "Hissing..." - I need a recommendation or two...

Idris2002 likes this.