The Amazing Adventures of Joni Mitchell

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Early CBC interview with Joni Mitchell:

"You will meet her a lot over the course of your life".

2. Idris2002

Crazy cries of love, from 1998:

3. Idris2002

Good Friends, from 1985:

4. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

My homework for Monday, when I'll be around/less busy with a fair bit more time, is to catch up on some of those links :)

Excellent thread, but I don't know enough about enough of her music, so that's homework I'll enjoy, I'm confident.

5. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

A writer friend of mine has been in contact with Joni Mitchell, attempting to schedule interviews with an eye to writing a book. When she gets finished, I'll send you a link: sounds like something you'd be interested in.

6. Idris2002

Huh, I somehow or other managed to miss this post. . . do send the link, when available - and thanks in advance.

7. Idris2002

Just found this on the tube of you:

8. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

It is brilliant, and here it is, the full vinyl album version. Her band was indeed awesome - a who's who of jazz's brightest young talents at the time: Pat Metheny, guitar - Jaco Pastorius, bass - Don Alias, drums - Lyle Mays, keyboards - Michael Brecker, sax. I saw this on tv many years ago when it was broadcast as an Old Grey Whistle Test special (yes it was that long ago!) but this is just the music, not the film, sadly. But the film was an edited version, and I can't find it anyway - although there are a couple of songs from it available on youtube.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Idris2002 likes this.
  9. Idris2002

From Joni's "For the Roses" LP, which I unaccountably overlooked when this thread was young:

10. Idris2002

Since I ran out of fresh Joni, I've been listening to a lot of Stephen Stills and Graham Nash. And it's not bad at all, what they did, but I can easily imagine Joni patting either of them on the head and saying "you're adorable, sweetie".

jjuice likes this.
  11. Idris2002

Bloody hell, this is an actual thing. A Herbie Hancock long player with songs by Joni Mitchell. This one here is voiced by none other than Laughing Boy himself, Mr. Leonard Cohen:

(the original is on Joni's Hissing of Summer Lawns LP)

Sirena likes this.
  12. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

A rarity for the collection

First song I ever performed in public was "Both Sides Now", an early Joni classic

Miss Caphat likes this.
  13. Idris2002

A mid-90s version of a mid-70s song:

Sirena likes this.
  14. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

That's very cool..:cool:

Idris2002 likes this.
  15. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I don't always check my PM's on here so I was a bit shocked to find one from Joni herself admitting that she's a class below Neil Young but she did confirm that Bob Dylan is ripping off his fans and shit at cunnilingus though. Graham Nash has a wart on the end of his cock and Steven Stills apparently is into feltching. She's been asking me for my number and hit me up for a date but I'm always a bit dubious of sharing my personal info online. I called the number she left and it is definitely her but I hung up in case I broke one of the FAQ's.
    It's too bad we can't share PM's. She told me loads of stuff about David Crosby :eek::thumbs:

16. Idris2002

[​IMG]

friedaweed likes this.
  17. Idris2002

'Chelsea Morning', live on the 'Dick Cavett Show', whatever that was.

18. Idris2002

Here's a thing. It turns out that the interviewer in that segment well have been the nearest thing to a Canadian Jimmy Saville. While maybe not as bad as Saville, he certainly appears to be a deeply dangerous and depraved individual:

http://jezebel.com/jian-ghomeshi-showed-graphic-film-of-himself-beating-wo-1653448852

19. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

I am not old, I am told, but I am not young
    And nothing can be done.

jjuice likes this.
  20. Idris2002

21. Idris2002

22. Idris2002

Early version of Carey, cover of Mr. Tambourine Man:

23. Idris2002

Eastern Rain, in a version that captures the otherworldly quality of her voice in the early days:

24. Idris2002

Her appearances on the Canadian current affairs show, The Way It Is, for which she provided the theme song:

25. Idris2002

And here she is with Johnny Cash. It's frightening how beautiful she was then.

26. Idris2002

"Joni Mitchell says she was "never much of a druggie."

The 71-year-old singer admits she dated a lot of guys who used drugs, but was rarely tempted to indulge.

She said: "I never was much of a druggie. Cigarettes and coffee - that's my poison."

But the 'Big Yellow Taxi' hitmaker believes the drug was one of the things that led to her split from British singer-songwriter Graham Nash in 1969 after they had a passionate affair.

She explained: "Cocaine just puts a barrier up. Where Graham and I had been a real couple, very close, suddenly there was this barrier. People were more secretive about drugs back then."

Joni also thinks their relationship was doomed to fail.

She said: "Graham and I fell in love, and he got sick and I Florence-Nightingaled him back to health. We were a good couple. I cooked for Graham, but the trouble was he's from Manchester, and he liked gray, wrinkled peas from cans. And I like fresh peas from the market. I like to cook - I got quite zaftig, actually. But when he started doing coke, he had no appetite."

Meanwhile, Joni insists she didn't leave David Crosby for Graham because they were never together.

She told Vanity Fair magazine: "David Crosby and I were never a couple. We spent time together in Florida and he was off drugs and very enjoyable company at the time. We rode bicycles through Coconut Grove and went boating. But David's appetites were for young harem girls who would wait on him. I would not be a servant girl."

http://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=2922

[​IMG]

friedaweed likes this.
  27. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

She was here at the weekend. We had rocket and balsamic vinegar for breakfast ;)

28. Idris2002

What do people do for fun in 1960s North Carolina? They go to the dentist, apparently.

29. Idris2002

From the comments in that youtube link:

In early '85 in Madrid, Spain, I bought a vinyl copy of Blue where side B was all messed up -- repeated songs, others missing and then a complete mystery - this song. I have no idea how that could have happened, but eventually I brought the record back to the store and got myself a "normal" copy. Many years later I read about it -- it seems that 'faulty' vinyl would have been worth a few $...

30. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The strumming is almost exactly 'Big Yellow Taxi'....:eek: