The Amazing Adventures of Joni Mitchell

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Hejira was followed in 1977 by Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, which contains this:

In a lesser artist this could have been self-indulgent, but I think she makes it work in spite of that danger. Despite being difficult DJRD seems to have gone gold in the US, and silver in the UK. With Mingus (more of which later) she would become even more defiant of commerical appeal. . .

rover07 and Sirena like this.
  2. Idris2002

Today is Mingus day on this thread:

I listened to this 1979 album - which she did with Jazz giant Charle Mingus - a few times on grooveshark before that site was banned from Germany. I found it just a bit too difficult for me, but I think I'm going to look out for it and give it a second chance. . .

3. Idris2002

Now this is something else:

4. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Thanks for starting this thread. Joni Mitchell is responsible for some of the most moving and relevant songs in my life.
    All her work is good, but personally Hejira, Blue and The Hissing of Summer Lawns are outstanding.
    Thanks fella.:)

5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

I also like this rework of Hejira off the Travelogue set.

6. Idris2002

I've been trying to post stuff in roughly chronological order, but I've just found this semi-jazz fusion live version of Carey from the mid-70s, and it deserves a mention:

Sprocket. likes this.
  7. Idris2002

You're welcome!

8. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

It's the chords she creates as well, so talented.

9. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Sorry for knocking your chronological line off kilter Idris.:facepalm:

10. Idris2002

It was bound to happen. If you search for things like "Joni Mitchell rarities" or "Joni Mitchell unknown" it brings up some remarkable - and often obscure - stuff from all points of her career.

11. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Absolute bollix :D

12. Idris2002

At least she could sing, and wasn't a plagiarist, unlike certain other people we could name. . . .

13. friedaweed

There's no way she's better than Neil Young, Woody Guthrie, Dylan and Bono:rolleyes::p

14. Idris2002

Your inclusion of the Jackeen Joker at the end there indicates what your real motives are.

15. friedaweed

I think she's up there with the best but I wouldn't say she was a class above Young or Dylan though. I love her open tuning and her guitar style but that's well rooted in her time spent with Neil and CSN etc. I just think it's a bit bold to right off so many other singer songwriters and say she's better than them. Many of those people also shaped her music and made her who she is. Personally I find her voice a bit one trick pony most of the time but I can suffer that for her lyrics and her musicianship. ;)
    BTW have you heard Christy Moore's version of Magdalen Laundries :cool:

16. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I fucking love Hejira.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  17. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I'm listening to a Joni night. I would put her on a par with Neil Young if not above. She has always continued to develop where as Neil Young is just hammering out formula dross for the bucks these days. Her voice has even aged beautifully. Given the choice between Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell I'd take Joni any day. It is a subjective thing, but for me, she wins.

18. friedaweed

I don't think he needs the cash to be honest and what I saw in Birmingham last week was as far from formula dross as you can get Stan.

I wish my Art is as good as Neils when I'm 67. Dylan on the other hand is charging twice as much for half the man he used to be:facepalm:

You're right though it's very subjective which was my point ;)

19. Idris2002

You know it's bad when Stanley Edwards is right about something.

Though mind you, friedaweed is right about Dylan.

Btw, lads, you know Neil Young and Joni grew up together in the same small town in Sasketchawan?

friedaweed likes this.
  20. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

...and, while we're talking of other musos, just a word in support of her one-time lover, Graham Nash. He's often thought of as the least cool member of CSN&Y but he wrote their three best songs: 'Marrakech Express', 'Our House' and 'Teach The Children'. He's a gentle, intelligent man who's founded children's charities and been a continuous activist for proper things. And the Hollies were a cool band, even though they made some very poppy tunes.

21. Idris2002

Joni live, 1983, part 1:

And part 2:

The early 80s weren't a great time for JM creatively, but this live show still proves that she had the talent all the same.

Maybe so, but he was no Joni Mitchell.

22. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

He was Mr Mitchell for a while. He is also a nice bloke, quite approachable.

23. Idris2002

More 80s live performances

Those are from "Red Rocks", and unfortunately I keep thinking she's going to start singing "we built this city on rock n'roll" at some points. These are from Farm Aid:

Those last two are from her 1985 album Dog Eat Dog, which I must get a new copy of, I think. The original album tracks are blocked in Germany, so maybe someone else can find them on youtube and post them up on the thread here.

24. Idris2002

"My wife is a super-talented musical goddess, and stunningly beautiful as well. I am a nice bloke, and quite approachable".

Sirena and Sprocket. like this.
  25. Idris2002

She's also stunningly beautiful in this one, which I think is from the late '80s:

26. Idris2002

Any Joni fans out there should put aside an hour and twenty minutes and have a look at this:

27. friedaweed

Yup and yup :cool:

28. Idris2002

Not her own song, but from a big-band styled album she released about 2000 (I have decided to ditch chronology, btw)

29. Idris2002

30. Idris2002

A cover of Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man".