1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The abandoned village of Imber

Discussion in 'Bristol and South West' started by mattie, Jul 29, 2009.

1. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

2. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

That looks spooky.

What's that place on the Mendips that was flooded to make the reservoir? When water levels are low, you can see the church spire.

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Not personally but know people who have - used to be involved in Cruisewatch way back when and hung around Salisbury Plain a load. Some of the folk would mooch about sites where the convoy had deployed as interesting stuff would turn up in what they left behind. Took part in some mass trespass at Springhill Quarry (sp?) where that big govt bunker with its own rail siding was too. It might even be open to the public now but got myself nicked and fined for not much at the time.

4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

5. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

thats funny so did my dad and we were talking about it only the other day.

I haven't been to imber despite trying to (got foiled but it will happen), my parents have been.

I have walked across the army land though.

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

it's usually open at easter and over christmas/new year a few days, and there's usually a church service. The village itself is not that atmospheric really, but there's a bit of a tingle watching the people go into the church. Most of the buildings are pretty derelict, or patched up with breeze blocks, but there's an old manor house in a walled garden that appears to untouched and unused and thus mysterious in a Famous Five sort of way.

What I like is the emptiness of the plain, apart from a few dead tanks there's little evidence of the military or of people.

fwiw I did quite a bit of Cruisewatching too, but never made it anywhere near Imber, we were always creeping around on the other side of the plain, by the Bustard.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd love to visit the place. Here's an interesting photo slideshow (recommend you turn your volume down!)

And turn your volume to off for this one:

8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Imber is also usually open one Saturday / weekend a year (this year's was 3 August), and there's usually a bus service around the area connecting it with the outside world - more here

tufty79 likes this.
  9. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

It features in one of my misheard lyrics ..

RoyReed and Pickman's model like this.
  10. mog1976

mog1976 fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear

Theres more going on there then where i come from :D

gentlegreen likes this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

purves grundy likes this.
  12. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Yes quite often copehill down is better as the buildings are closer together and bigger.

13. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I've been there too - it does feel a bit weird. :)

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. marty21

driving around there is strange as well, lots of signs for tanks! And warnings about ordinance :hmm:

Greebo likes this.
  16. marty21

Greebo likes this.
  17. farmerbarleymow

The warnings reminded me of a visit to the Warcop firing range up in the Pennines when I was a lad.

18. marty21

I think there is a layby in the area where you can park up and watch tanks driving fast around a tank track, going up and down over tank humps, and creating a lot of dust (it was very dry when we were there) it was exciting :oops:

Greebo and farmerbarleymow like this.
  19. farmerbarleymow

Did you go 'vroom vroom' and pretend you were driving a tank? :D

20. marty21

:oops:

Greebo, kebabking and farmerbarleymow like this.
  21. farmerbarleymow

I knew it! :D

22. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

i did, but i was learning to drive this at the time.

[​IMG]

not a tank, as i was repeatedly told by my exasperated instructors - big gun, tracks. its a tank, and i'm a muthafuka tank commander muthafuka, (massive throaty diesel roar as 50 tons of better-than-sex rips up verges, fences, signposts, bits of road...) oddly, i was never required to actually drive one again.

marty21, farmerbarleymow and Greebo like this.
  23. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

bump - Saturday (22 August) is this year's Imber Bus event

more here

tufty79 and Greebo like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Bigger. Already out all day playing at tourist in town

25. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I'v been to Imber (and Tyneham). It's a bit boring with nothing to see but a few old houses that the army play in. The manor house is still whole and the church untouched and used for god stuff. Driving across the parts of the plain that you usually can't was the best bit. Worth going? mabey if strange is what you like.

26. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

another bump - imber bus thing (connecting to / from trains at warminster assuming there are any trains to connect with) this saturday 26 August

Imberbus

editor and not-bono-ever like this.
  27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Voted best nightlife in Wiltshire ten years running.

kebabking likes this.