The 70 best album sleeves of all-time

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apparently:

New exhibition selects the 70 best album sleeves of all-time - Uncut

2. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

That's an interesting list. I'm not sure I'd agree with all of it, of those I know anyway. I'd include Dark Side of the Moon as a "best," but not, eg, Parallel Lines or Felt Mountain.

3. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

I realise that a lot of those more recent ones were released on LP as well as digitally and on CD but I'm having trouble seeing anything which is mostly consumed in the latter two ways, after the demise of the LP as the main one, in the same light. Album art has to be big.

I am old.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  4. S☼I

S☼I You in a bad mood Harry?

It's not the 70 best of all time, is it? It's the best album cover of the year for the last 70 years

Fez909 likes this.
  5. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

The White Album for 1968 :D

The height of the psychedelia era. Amazing, eye-popping album designs all over the place. And they chose a plain white sleeve.

I get the thinking behind it - brave decision from the biggest band in the world; let the music speak for itself. But, at the end of the day, it's a plain white cover, like a generic sleeve for a promo.

Just about every other album released in 68 has a better cover than that.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  6. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

It wasn't completely plain, it was embossed with "The Beatles".

7. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

They got quite a few wrong. I mean Brian Eno instead of Pink Floyd in '75? :confused:

8. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

2005 must've been a grim year for album art.

9. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Even Coldplay's cover was better than the one in this list for 2005.

10. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I don't know if 'wrong' is the right word, as any choice about 'best' album cover will be highly subjective. But looking at the list I get the impression that they either didn't look very hard for great album art, or they just went with the records they liked best, and the list reflects their taste in music more than album design.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  11. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

And an issue number.

fishfinger likes this.
  12. JuanTwoThree

It's achingly 'hip' for the most part. An opinion based on the extent to which I have any idea what 'hip' is, or what is 'hip'.

13. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Spinal Taps 'black 'album

Spandex likes this.
  14. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

1985 should have been low life really shouldnt it

15. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Much as I like the Beastie Boys, this LP cover always sticks in my mind. The album itself is so so but the artwork still makes me laugh.

[​IMG]

16. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Almost none of that list is achingly hip fwiw

JuanTwoThree and krtek a houby like this.
  17. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

I remember in some 80s pop mag, Weller was raging about his contemporaries. He said something along the lines of "I wouldn't want anyone to have one of my records next to a Frankie Goes to Hollywood record".

Always make sure, ever since then when occasionally sorting albums, that Welcome to the Pleasuredome is right beside Snap!

Kaka Tim likes this.
  18. JuanTwoThree

I think a fair definition of hip would have to include 'nothing that I do think is hip'!