that Childish Gambino video

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by rutabowa, May 15, 2018.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I know everyone is kind of old so just checking that everyone has seen this as I haven't seen it mentioned, it's very good and probably a cultural reference point of 2018 so you should probably watch it to know what people are talking about in society even you don't like it (but it is really good too so you probably will like it)

2. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

lazy

Chilli.s likes this.
  3. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Great bit of PR for the man but it's pretty toothless, I really don't get the fuss (but it's got number 1 in the charts so job done)

Anyway

CNT36, donkyboy, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yeah yeah this is canned reaction #2 to the video.

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

There's a couple of videos on youtube helping explain some of the less obvious symbolism which i found helpful when a young person sent me this video a while ago and i didn't know what to make of it.

kazza007, Thora and rutabowa like this.
  7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

It is funny all the videos about the "mindblowing hidden message" in it, like they have found the rosetta stone or something.... i mean the basic "hidden message" is about as subtle as a brick. but yeh there is a lot of detail in there that it is good to have pointed out.

8. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

For those who can't be arsed to watch it, could someone provide a summary? Or is it unsummarisable?

9. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

I think it's excellent. I find myself coming back to it over and over.

10. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

It's an interesting video with some clever symbolism, but a mess of an actual song. Without the video it really doesn't work.

Donald Glover must be the hardest working man in showbiz at the moment though, fair play to him.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  11. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Amercia = Bad

12. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I'd agree with this, although I quite like the song, the power is in the song with the video. Just on the radio it sounds like any track that might be on in his TV programme Atlanta (which I think is by itself a genuinely great dissection of the black American experience). I think the song and video work best as a companion piece to that. I don't think it's toothless, the fact that many of its points are somewhat obvious doesn't mean they don't bear repeating.

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

You'll probably like that star wars film too.

14. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Actually I do like the film though. He's got some talents.

rutabowa likes this.
  15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

THERE you see.

Ive never seen star wars

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Its been a while since theres been any kind of "event" music video isnt it? Let alone a good one... let alone a vaguely politically aware one.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  17. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Hes lando in the new solo movie.

18. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Yh and for that he deserves some props.

Atlanta is a great show btw, peeps should check it out!

19. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Glover is certainly multi talented - I have only watched the first episode of Atlanta but it seems above par for the genre and the video for This is America has more intertextuality than you can shake a stick at. You could do a giant essay on the dance moves alone (striking a Jim Crowe pose etc). It interested me that there were samples all over it musically, the dance moves, the scenarios. He is a stand up comedian as well but what I have seen of that is a bit samey. He is getting a lot of 'not woke' criticism for his choice of female partner which I have been consuming and trying to get to grips with some of the points being made around that.

20. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

With no idea what to expect, not even heard the song before, I found the video really shocking.

21. ATOMIC SUPLEX

What does that mean?

Sea Star likes this.
  22. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Oh! It's the guy from Community! But all hench and with a beard.

crossthebreeze, Saffy and Vintage Paw like this.
  23. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Yeah it's weird.
    He's like a comedy writer, a script writer, a comedian, a director, a singer/rapper, and actor. Where does he find the time? I think he's a new dad too.

24. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

That’s fantastic!

25. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I think I’m comfortable with the fact I have no idea what it is. I’m well behind the times - just watched Black Mirror for the first time over the weekend.

26. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Lemonade?

Miss-Shelf, spanglechick and rutabowa like this.
  27. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yeh that was the last event for sure but um I didn't think it was good, or at least I didn't dig it, but yes. It was an album of videos tho, rather than one song/video, so I dont think you got the same 10s of millions all watching and talking about the same 3 minutes.

28. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I subscribed to tidal for lemonade, hope I remembered to cancel

29. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

He's been doing lots of other stuff for a while now. He had a decent sounding funk album out a couple of years back. I didn't like it enough to buy it, but I was impressed by his ability.

I like Atlanta too.

30. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Woke - generally aware of issues around race and ethnicity and structural, historical, economic etc conditions which relate, aware of privilege - that kind of thing. Also applied to other things such as environment, sexuality et al. Suffice to say he is married to a woman who is not black and has made some apparently disparaging remarks about black women (I have only read that he said this, not what he said or heard him say it). US black politics has a rising number of separatist groups who advocate no relationships with those they refer to as 'one drop' - ie of dual ethnicity. Hence he has had a degree of negative discussion along with the plaudits. Ive been trying to get my head around all the discussions on it.

Last edited: May 16, 2018