1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TfL denies Uber operator license

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by bemused, Sep 22, 2017.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Doesn't matter what the reason is. The fact it's an accidental feature of their model that it will put prices up during crisis moments just goes to highlight the shit anti-human nature of this kind of model.

2. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I agree, my point was just that it's a bit more nuanced than the knee jerk 'uber are cunts'- although that remains of course the case

paolo likes this.
  3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

fair enough.

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I don't understand why there's a reason to increase prices regardless of the demand anyway, so basically, the same thing happens when everyone starts coming out the o2/wembley etc?

What a crock of shit.

TopCat, Guineveretoo and sealion like this.
  5. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Yes - this is one of the many ways in which Uber is NOT cheaper than private hire cars, nor even black cabs.

6. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

It's to allow the wealthy to jump the queue, a cornerstone of libertarian belief - that having money allows you to trample over the heads of others for services such as transport and healthcare - see also proposals in the past for 'premium' toll lanes on motorways or boarding priority bollocks on airlines. It's 'moral' because obviously you've worked really hard for that money and not just inherited it or gained it through exploitation of others.

likesfish, campanula, ddraig and 6 others like this.
  7. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

I have heard the reason they do it is because otherwise when it is a busy time the cabs would just ignore uber as easier to just pick up fairs (cash in hand) from the street. they found raising the prices at peak times means the cabbies still use uber.

8. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Uber drivers aren't allowed to pick up from the street and black cab drivers don't work for Uber.

Word on the street is that enough Uber drivers are rushing back to the old companies to guarantee regular surge pricing and plenty of work for all on Uber keeping those drivers who are sticking with it much happier. I guess within a couple of weeks enough passengers will be scared off by regular surging to even it all out again.

sealion and cupid_stunt like this.
  9. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Well companies like Addison Lee are having a big recruitment drive now to try and mop up the (fucked) Uber drivers. The reason drivers worked for Uber rather than Addison Lee in the past was they got paid more of the fare.
    So Addison Lee make more profit, prices go up and the driver gets less.
    A bag o'shite.

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And Addison fucking cunting Lee are BIG supporters of the Tory party.

TopCat likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eh? I've never had an Uber fare that comes even close to the sky high charges of black cabs.

12. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I was recently quoted £14 to get an Uber from my house to East Croydon station. Normally costs just over a fiver. A black cab is usually about £8.

Uber put their prices up when they are busy - that was the point being made in the post to which I was replying.

agricola and sealion like this.
  13. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

14. cybershot

15. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I have, multiple times.

16. equationgirl

equationgirl Do you believe you can walk on water?

cupid_stunt likes this.
  17. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Tbf there have always been minicab operators that have been total cowboy outfits so no suprises about uber really. :D

18. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

19. cybershot

20. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Oh dear, the whole house of cards is coming down on them.

sealion likes this.
  21. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Licence renewed, though, after uber claimed Sheffield council had been sending mail to the wrong address, and answered the questions Sheffield had posed. Not sure I buy the "wrong address" excuse, but it shows they can kiss up when they need to.

22. cybershot