Test tube steak...the future of food

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Lupa, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Lupa

Lupa It's all about the butter

Steak grown from cultured (test tube) cells.
    Will this be the answer to climate control, and a replacement for the slaughtering of animals for food?
    If it takes off it will undoubtedly bring down the beef / poultry etc industries. And vegans will be able to eat steak because no animal will have been killed in.

I think it is fantastic.

NoXion and Reno like this.
  2. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

Where do the stem cells and fetal serum come from then?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

No

4. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Initially they get harvested from the animals. Once they have been harvested, cell cultures can be replicated indefinitely and no more animals will have to be reared for slaughter.

This could be a massive breakthrough and hugely help with reducing our carbon footprint. Just like with GMO, our scientifically illiterate media and public will be hugely suspicious and brand this as Frankenstein food, so those prejudices will have to be overcome. I’ve mentioned this to friends and they all had a negative, knee-jerk reaction to the idea, till you explain it in more detail. That will be the biggest challenge in a culture consumed by “alternative facts”.

Initially it will be cheaper to replicate minced and processed meat products, the real challenge is to credibly replicate the texture of something like a steak or chicken.

I have reduced my meat consumption for purely ethically reasons but not completely because I love the taste of meat. I’d happily only eat “test tube meat” once it becomes viable.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Spymaster, trabuquera, NoXion and 3 others like this.
  5. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

The blood of 100 vegans!

6. Lupa

Did you watch the video?
    They are not raising cattle. Its not foetal at all. They are growing beef from beef cells...in petrie dishes.

Reno likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

So animal cells outside an animal not in fact animal. Much of a muchness with your climate control bit.

8. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

No, they are just cells. Of course it will help with our carbon footprint because the rearing of gazillions of animals for slaughter will be unnecessary. It won’t be THE answer to climate control, but it will be one answer.

9. Pickman's model

Why is everyone on about climate control?

10. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Meant global warming. Someone used the wrong term, in a hurry I picked it up. You can either lord your intellectual superiority over others here or instead of sidelining the thread to boost your ego, quickly correct the mistake and engage with the issue.

NoXion likes this.
  11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I hope this technology takes off, livestock farming is a massive cause of wildlife habitat loss as well as emissions. It still seems like kind of a weird thing to eat, but might not be too many generations before people think it was weird that we got our beef by eating parts of a dead cow that somebody killed and chopped up. They're going to be even more freaked out when they see photos of the giant industrial chicken sheds.

"So you guys knew that was where chickens were kept. And you ... still ate them?"

12. Pickman's model

Someone's going to get really rich out of this and I wonder where all the stuff to grow this will come from. Not sure it solves the problems people think it will.

13. Pickman's model

Do vegans eat eggs or drink milk? Vegans don't consume animal produce, doesn't matter if it's from dead or living animals

14. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I’d much rather people got rich on helping to solve global warming and avoid the suffering of billions of animals than what’s happening now.

8ball and Lupa like this.
  15. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

This isn’t aimed at vegans who dislike the taste of meat, this is aimed at people like myself who still eat meat but who have major concerns about the ethics of meat production. I know a lot of people in my position.

High Voltage and Lupa like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Yeh Lupa made the claim which is why I was replying to her and not you

17. Pickman's model

So where does the energy come from to grow this material? Seems to me a huge amount of stuff will be needed to grow this "meat". And if it's really to replace all the animals killed for food then there'll be a huge distribution network. Will stuff be shipped from eg buenos aires to the pampas of Argentina? What will people who now rely on the sale of meat do when their livelihoods have been taken away?

18. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Then you priority was to make Lupa look stupid and big yourself up in the process rather than to engage with the issue. You knew full well what the mistake was and you could have been kind and correct it. Try and acquire a bit of emotional generosity, it’s the season of good will.

ferrelhadley likes this.
  19. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The science seems kind of impenetrable, though it sounds as if some of what the meat cells are currently grown in comes from pig bones and mouse tumors. Early days...
    The Science Behind Lab-Grown Meat

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  20. Pickman's model

no, it's not if not this then that. I didn't put Lupa right, it's true, but neither did I say anything to make her look stupid. I said no, it's not the answer to climate change. And it isn't.

21. Pickman's model

Yeh but this will need something to grow off, like agar gel or whatnot, and large quantities of it. That in turn will have to come from somewhere. Not sure what will happen to demand for animal products like various other parts like suet or leather

22. Lupa

This is produced from cells. The initial cells come from a live animal but if you watch the video that animal is not harmed.
    So these cells are kept and used. Cells replicate and those replicated can be saved as second gen. This can continue so that there are generations of cells which can be used to grow from.
    Maybe vegans whose objection to meat is the fact that animals are slaughtered / hurt / used will feel differently to you. I don't know.

Are you saying that cells have rights? That would be a very interesting argument.

23. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I’ve already answered to this.cell cultures get harvested once (and even that can be done without slaughter), then they will get replicated indefinitely in the lab. No more animals need to be reared or harmed.

24. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

A lot of it initially from petrochemicals via various routes. Would be an interesting question to ask once it gets going, I expect this will have been thought of, and some figures compiled.

It would still be in their favour, though, compared to the energy costs of raising a live animal.

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  25. Pickman's model

I'm saying animal cells are animal cells, their DNA is animal dna no matter whether they're grown in a field or a lab. Just because this steak didn't grow up wandering a field doesn't make this "not-animal". I'd be interested in what vegans have to say about it but this pescaterian won't be eating labcow

26. Lupa

So what you're saying is that your objection to this is because, in your view, a few cells have the "potential" to be an animal?
    Thats very interesting.
    They're not actually full animal cells because they become only one product ..one specific cell type. In essence the cells are programmed to become a particular muscle.

But I certainly wasn't proposing that vegans should eat it.

You surely see that it is a huge step forward?

27. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Fish being plants, obv. ;)

28. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

If the goal is reducing meat consumption, creating something acceptable to vegans probably isn't a high priority, they're already not eating any meat.

8ball and Lupa like this.
  29. Lupa

They'll be grown from cells too.

editor
    This might be how humans will manage to survive and
    live on Mars. Initially at any rate.

30. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

The real test will be when/if this stuff hits the shelves. If they can ever grow this stuff in a lab for cheaper than conventionally reared meat, then I'll happily eat only the lab-grown stuff.

Lupa likes this.