Telly Licence

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Proper Tidy, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

as i said few post before, set one up the other day! fucking £30 a month first few months!

Proper Tidy likes this.
  2. Ranbay

however they want £30 a month for first six months, then £13 a month, this is so you are always paid up 6 months in advance... fucking cunts.

3. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

It used to always be a year upfront on each renewal.

4. Ranbay

First time i have got one lol

5. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Whilst glad to hear you're having a good retirement, I'd politely point out that an annual income of £8767 is pretty low to count as 'we've never had it so good'. Also, not wishing to speculate about your age/needs etc. I can say that as my parents have reached old age (beyond 85) their costs and outgoings have risen in ways that neither they nor I could necessarily have envisaged.

My views about pensioner poverty are not derived from clever political propaganda, but are informed by my parents' lived experience of pensioner poverty.

6. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert Suspected murderer of Tupac murder suspect

Aye, your money will obviously go a lot further if your mortgage is paid off, as you are living rent free.If only everyone was in that situation when they retire.

7. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

Yep.

£160.00 per week.

After all, all you have to pay for out of that is:

Food
    Rent
    Council Tax
    Gas
    Electricity
    TV Licence
    Insurances

Rolling in it!

8. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

And you still have to pay for either home contents/ building insurance or upkeep ( there's always something that needs doing) and replacing furniture fittings etc. Then perhaps running a car which outside of cities is pretty much essential. I'm sure it's possible to exist on the state pension but the question is why when retired should it be just a question of existing ? Manual workers and women who have had child care responsibilities are particularly harder hit .

9. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman it was already like that when I got here

Ah it makes sense now. You're one of those.

10. Benjy1992

Benjy1992 Active Member

Government are acting disgracefully on this by passing the buck for this fiasco onto the BBC. Millions of hard-up pensioners barely above the level for pension credit will suffer because of this, despite a manifesto promise by the Tories to keep licences free. Another vote loser for the Tories targeting pensioners who have worked and paid taxes all their life.

11. brogdale

Also plenty below the Pension credit threshold will suffer this imposition because they're either too proud to access the benefit or just don't know about it and don't have the support mechanisms around them to access it.

12. hash tag

hash tag member

From a friend
    Screenshot_20190612-192502.png

13. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

First it’s 750,000,000.

Second look at the change in wealth over the last 10 years of ages over 55 and below.

One in five UK baby boomers are millionaires | Financial Times

People who were much more likely to have bought their house before the boom in house prices vs those buying more expensive houses ( post house price boom ) and more likely to be renting.

“Free tv licenses for people in a generation who’s median wealth has grown 100k in the last ten years” Doesn’t have such a good ring to it does it ?

Alex

14. The39thStep

So really the decision by the BBC is an attack on the rich? Btw I've never met one of these millionaires perhaps I'm mixing in the wrong circles .

15. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman it was already like that when I got here

You twat

Smokeandsteam and SpackleFrog like this.
  16. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Perhaps in every age cohort there are rich people and poor people and different classes and what not, perhaps going old people are rich and millennials are impoverished and oppressed is both wrong and a dickheads opinion

17. brogdale

If you're intent on peddling negative solidarity it might help to correctly identify the cohort who's benefit withdrawal you're cheering on.

Free TV licences apply to those over 75 years of age.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  18. The39thStep

unfashionable view these days in some circles

SpackleFrog and Smokeandsteam like this.
  19. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Jive Miguel, he’s in from Bogotá..

I know dozens of people over sixty five.
    Not one of them is anywhere near a 1/4 millionaire.

Celyn and The39thStep like this.
  20. brogdale

Spoke to my old Mum today (again) about claiming for Pension Credit; as I expected the convo upset her and ended up being frustrating for both of us. Not chuffed to be put in the position of feeling compelled to drag her back to this topic when she clearly doesn't want the hassle.

Just when you think the vermin can't sink lower. :mad:

21. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I've assumed the BBC has no power to levy different charges on different demographics (so couldn't graduate the licence fee based on household income, or even on property value/band) - but can't actually find anything online which sets out what the BBC can or can't do (assume it's covered by a universal service obligation or something, like BT, but fucked if I can find it).

Anybody know? Would seem a good time to be arguing for licence fee reform which charges based on earnings, taking millions out of paying and moving burden onto the biggest earners.

22. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The last fee settlement was done in secret so I'm not sure anyone knows.

I imagine that at a stretch it could have tried to do what you describe but it takes it further into benefits administration, it probably would have taken years, and it probably would have been rejected.

Proper Tidy likes this.
  23. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Shame. A progressive telly licence (tax) would be good

24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Next time bring facts

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No, but if we are going to have policies which bias towards age groups. I’d rather we didn’t bias them towards groups which are statistically much better off.

But if you want free tv licenses for Tories ( The demographics dividing Britain | YouGov ) fill your boots.

Alex

26. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Maybe age isn't the best way to identify wealth. Maybe wealth is.

The39thStep, Celyn and SpackleFrog like this.
  27. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, A median implies this.

28. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yup.

29. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Yes and a median isn't the reality of the people in that cohort, you tit

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  30. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes some are skint / some are minted, but a lot more are better off than those in the cohorts who have to pay for tv licenses ( which includes people on benefits ).

Alex