Tell me of Barmouth.

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Sweet FA, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Me, Mrs FA, Teen'FA*, hound are staying near Arthog for 4 nights. I've never been to the area before. Any tips? (kabbes, friedaweed, BoatieBird, editor, Whagwan?).

So far walking bits of the Mawddach Trail, getting a train somewhere (Morfa Mawddach station is really close - I think I can take the dog?) and larking about on the beach seem favourite.

What should I not be missing?

Ta :thumbs:

*:eek:

editor and BoatieBird like this.
  2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Arthog is lovely! Yes, you must walk the Mawddach Trail. Have a drink at the George III in Penmaenpool. The food is awful and the service is poor but my god, the view.

You can also easily walk up to the mountain trail from Arthog in the general direction of the Cregennan Lakes. That trail might be my favourite place in the whole world. We’re going up there ourselves in May to stay in a cottage we often stay in. So peaceful and the views over the estuary are magical.

The train can take you to Barmouth and around the peninsula, which is worth a few day trips.

Will you have a car?

3. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Ooh, it's a fab place, and Arthog is on the quieter (nicer) side of the estuary.

The walk over the Barmouth bridge is good, and the walks along the Mawddach trail are beautiful.
    You can take the dog on the train and you can pick up the Talyllyn Railway - visit us in beautiful southern Snowdonia from Tywyn.

Agree with kabbes about the George III, great place for a drink... food not so good.
    Although when we were there last June it was due for a revamp so the food might have improved.

Barmouth beach is great for a dog walk, as is Llanaber which is a bit further north and quieter than Barmouth. Plenty of room for your leggy hound to run round!

The train will also take you up to Harlech and the castle there is worth a look (also dog friendly iirc)

kabbes and Sweet FA like this.
  4. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

A walk up to the blue Lake from Fairbourne is a must.

Blue Lake (Fairbourne) - 2019 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - Fairbourne, Wales | TripAdvisor

Cregennan Lakes is lovely. Great fishing for wild brownies.

Cregennan Lakes (Arthog) - 2019 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - Arthog, Wales | TripAdvisor

You can do some pony treking with two different outfits near Arthog as well down the Mawddach as if that's your thing. There's also mountain bike hire in Barmouth.

Me and the Mrs Cannoed the Mawddach last summer. It's a beautiful trip.

IMG-20180630-WA0002.jpeg

It really is a lovely area. I've been going there every year for about 30 years now. We camp up at Hafod Dywyll Campsite which is a lovely valley to walk up from Arthog, Once you get to the Kings Youth Hostel you can walk through the campsite on the footpath which will take you through a lovely meadow and onto the path that takes you up to Cader Idris.

Barmouth is great for kids if you want the amusements and a couple of fair rides, be sure to pop into the Arousal Cafe. You can get a taxi boat by parking at the end of the spit at Fairbourne or jump the little steam train and do it that way. You can also walk over the railway bridge. Failing that the toll bridge at Penmaen Pool is 20p. They were doing the boozer up there when we were there a few weeks ago so not sure if its open yet.

Fairbourne has a fab beach and it's a lot less crowded than Barmouth. Dolgellau has a decent Spar shop just outside the town which has lovely veg and meat and fish. Machynlleth is ok for a mooch around the shops and there's a decent co-op supermarket there. You can take that in on a drive around the coast taking in Aberdyfi (Gorgeous spot, good crabbing off the pier) and Towyn (Bit grim but decent co-op supermarket and chippy).

You wont run out of things to do around there. If you're looking to get up on the hill Cader is lovely and so are the Rhinogs.

chainsawjob, kabbes and Sweet FA like this.
  5. friedaweed

King George is being turned into some swanky gaff. We were up there a couple of weeks ago and it was a building site. Looks like it might be quite nice when it's done. ;)

6. BoatieBird

Sweet FA likes this.
  7. Sweet FA

Yes.

Thanks for the info. (It's a complete roll of the dice - we've basically ended up here after something else fell through...).

BoatieBird and friedaweed like this.
  8. Sweet FA

Thanks BB :)

His legginess has so far stopped me from attempting to get him on a train...he takes up so much space...

BoatieBird likes this.
  9. friedaweed

You'll love it. It's a very sweet part of Wales ;)

Sweet FA, kabbes and BoatieBird like this.
  10. BoatieBird

It's a very lucky roll of the dice!

kabbes and Sweet FA like this.
  11. Sweet FA

Nice one, cheers Frieda :cool:

Am making a list :thumbs:

12. friedaweed

That's where we go. Some of the trails are not for the faint hearted though :D

Sweet FA and BoatieBird like this.
  13. Sweet FA

Or the dog tbf. He's shit on a bike, never looks where he's going :rolleyes:

friedaweed and BoatieBird like this.
  14. BoatieBird

Have you tried this place Mountain Biking - downhill and uplift service in Snowdinia, Wales?
    The menfolk did it last year.
    The boy (a very keen mountain biker) thought it was the best thing ever, Mr B (not so keen, does it to keep the boy company) only managed 1 run down "it's like being in a fucking washing machine, I feel sick" :D

Sweet FA likes this.
  15. friedaweed

The blue Lake is an easy evening stroll. It takes an hour round trip from the main road at Fairbourne plus however long you stay up there. It's a great one to watch the sun setting over the Llyn with the fairground lights in the foreground.

Loads of Brummies and Scousers up there so don't mistake their accent for Welsh speakers :D

Sweet FA likes this.
  16. kabbes

Well you’ve lucked out then — Arthog (or just up the windy path that leads from Arthog into the mountain) is where we choose to go pretty much every year, regardless of where else we head too.

Drive to Harlech beach (and town) and get some nice food in various cafes in the town centre. Drive to the coed-y-Brenin forest for some great walks (or cycle paths). Also, do the precipice walk and the panorama walk (but drive there first!). If you drive to Barmouth, you can have a good time there and do the panorama walk in the same day. I like the Welsh rarebit in Bellevue cafe in Barmouth. And go to TH Roberts cafe in Dolgellau for the cake.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    friedaweed and Sweet FA like this.
  17. friedaweed

Oooh thanks for that. Nope not done that one but I'm sure the boy would be well up for that :cool:

BoatieBird likes this.
  18. friedaweed

Now that is good cake :D

kabbes likes this.
  19. kabbes

Its pretty universally dog friendly, by the way, except for the cafes in Harlech

Sweet FA likes this.
  20. kabbes

Meg, Queen of Cakes.

friedaweed likes this.
  21. Sweet FA

Excellent stuff all, thanks.

friedaweed likes this.
  22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Not been for about 15 years, but it's gorgeous. Enjoy.

Sweet FA likes this.
  23. Sweet FA

Thanks - determined to take proper camera, not just phone. And then take the proper camera out of the bag. Not just take it on a little holiday again :facepalm:

24. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

A drive into the Brenin forest to explore the old gold mining ruins and look for riches in the cold waters of the Afon Mawddach.

Tal-y-llyn railway too.

friedaweed and Sweet FA like this.
  25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I can recommend some lovely ice cream from Knickerbockers on The Quay in Barmouth.

Sweet FA likes this.
  26. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

Fairbourne Railway is smaller than the Talyllyn, but just the other side of the estuary from Barmouth

Sweet FA and friedaweed like this.
  27. kabbes

Yes, it’s worth taking the little Fairbourne railway, which starts in Fairbourne, not far to walk from Arthog, and then take the “ferry” (ie a guy with a little boat with an outboard motor) to Barmouth.

I forgot the real highlight to the area. There’s an Indian restaurant in Fairbourne that is seriously better than any Indian I’ve been to in London. People travel for miles to go there. It’s run by a husband/wife team — he’s front of house and she cooks. If you say what kind of thing you fancy, she’ll just make it. I had the most amazing fish curry there after he saw me umming at the menu, asked what I really felt like and then offered the option to trust them to produce it. It’s the most bizarre place to have such a great restaurant but I can’t blame them for wanting to settle in the Mawddach estuary, so why not?

Here’s the tripadvisor review page:

Indiana Cuisine, Fairbourne - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Sweet FA, Nivag and Chilli.s like this.
  28. kabbes

Whilst I’m thinking of food, actually, if you don’t mind spending an bit, the Mawddach Restaurant is proper fine dining blessed with incredible views of the estuary (ask for a window table when booking). It’s expensive, but it is up there as a restaurant, so it comes down to whether you view £20+ for a main meal as a price worth paying.

In Barmouth is Coes Faen Lodge, which is even more expensive and doesn’t quite justify the cost, although it is good. There’s also Bistro Bermo, which is less expensive (but still more than an average place) and is also good.

None of these places are 7 days a week — maybe even just two or three days a week in some cases — so you’ll want to check in advance and book. None of them take dogs either. The Mawddach and Coes Faen have big car parks and our dog stays in the car. I can’t really say if they are kid-friendly because it’s not normally a concern for me and it probably depends on the kids. Coes Faen is the least child-friendly, I would say (come to think of it, I think they may ban children entirely).

My autocorrect is really unfriendly to Welsh words...

Sweet FA likes this.
  29. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Based on this thread, booked myself and the OH 3 nights in July on a cool 6 bed AirBNB that was only £55 a night. Been debating it all weekend wondering what the catch was, every review is 5* saying it's marvelous, it looks great, what's the sodding catch! If its just trains and ambulances, who cares! Took the plunge and booked it anyway! What's the worse that can happen.

BoatieBird, Sweet FA and kabbes like this.
  30. Sweet FA

*fingers crossed*

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.49.28.png

BoatieBird likes this.