1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about Tom Waits

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Orang Utan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Madusa

Madusa Baller

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Anyone heard his duet with Mariah Carey?
    (Tom Waits, not El Jefe)

3. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

You sure?

4. Orang Utan

I think we should all start calling you Brucey then.

5. Orang Utan

I've just been having a little internet search and found something called Lollipop Man, which claims to be by Mariah Carey and Tom Waits:eek:

6. Orang Utan

Oops:
    "It helps that much of our source material is really obscure. By far the most popular MP3 on our downloads page is Lollipop Man, a song we've comedically mislabelled as being a duet by Mariah Carey and Tom Waits. It's actually from a 1970s album of road safety material that nobody will recognise. Maybe Carey's people could sue, but it'd be tough to call."
    http://bristlingbadger.blogspot.com/2006/03/copy-rites.html

7. brianx

brianx New Member

The Orpahans compilation he brought out a couple of years ago "Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards" is fantastic Long Way Home is one of my Desert Island Disks when Kirsty gives me a call. SwordfishTrombones is my favourite album and In the Neighbourhood always gets me blubbing after a couple of bottles of wine.

8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Of course he is.

The boy was born to run.

9. Madusa

Madusa Baller

ah, but was he born in the USA? :hmm:

10. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Tom Waits is pretty good but I prefer Bonnie Prince Billy any day. :cool:

11. xenon

xenon What door?

What radio show was that OU?

12. Orang Utan

It was on Purple radio I think - not sure what show it was, but if you join mixdownloads.net, you'll be able to find it.

13. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Radio Savage Houndy Beasty, I think.

e2a: Sorry, was referring to the "Lollipop Man" track being played and attributed to Mariah Carey / Tom Waits.
    edited again, to add: Well worth a listen :cool:

14. xenon

xenon What door?

Cool. Will have a look. Ta.

He's sort of passed me by. Think I found his voice a little annoying. Worth looking into again it seems.

15. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Yep, in Nebraska. :)

16. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

What songs spung to your imagination, because his work is diverse.

17. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

Seems an odd comparison.

I mean, I like Waits and I love Will Oldham but I can't imagine using them in the same sentence together, unless that sentence began: "Will Oldham, unlike Tom Waits......."

:)

I guess they are both Male, singer-songwriters.....

18. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

But goldenecitrone's smiley has got shades, therefore making him cooler for listening to Will "Bonnie Prince Billy" Oldham (I used both his names in the same space. Do I get more cred points, like in the SIms?)

19. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

It's a personal thing. I didn't really like either of them at first, but they've grown on me over the years. And I still don't actually own any Waits but have got quite a few of Will Oldham's albums now. His words just appeal to me more for some reason. His bleakness seems more beautiful.

20. Orang Utan

Pretty much all of them, as I mentioned earlier

21. mistere

mistere I invented lurking!

Can I just gloat massively and say that I saw Tom Waits live last night in Edinburgh!

Best. Gig. Ever.

22. boing!

boing! hairy cheese eater

:mad:

23. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Tom Waits is not dead yet. Something to be glad about in these dark times, just saying.

24. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

i have tried waits so many times, but the "i'm just a lonesome hobo, sat at the bar, singing da blues" thing just irritates me. he came from a really comfortable middle class background but to listen to him you'd think he'd traveled the 'ol carnivals, going from town to town. just something really irritatingly inauthentic about him.

Hold On is a Masterpiece though.

rutabowa likes this.
  25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yeh... he's got a few Tunes though.

Edit: maybe I find this one fine because he's very definitely playing a character role, rather than it being a fake persona ifyswim

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    billy_bob likes this.
  26. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Lost in the Supermarket.

IMG_1060.JPG

A recent photo for a mag cover.

27. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

He's always playing a character role. I've never understood people (Peel included) who don't see it as musical theatre and deride him for not being 'for real' enough.

Actually though, I think Pay Me is possibly his most straightforwardly moving song. It proper makes me cry every time I hear it.

rutabowa likes this.
  28. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

If I could listen to him for more than thirty seconds, maybe I could form an opinion.
    It sounds like he's taking the piss and getting away with it.

29. BigMoaner

If a posh friend of mine started pretending his was from that old dust bowl, playing da blues before hitching that lonesome freight train outta here with the waitress from some dime store diner...id cringe. I do the same with waits. I think its that he chooses the same twee Americana cliches again and again when clearly hes just another middle class intellectual creative (nothing wrong with that).

30. BigMoaner

I love I'm Still Here, though.