1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about Tom Waits

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Orang Utan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I listened to a radio show about Tom Waits this morning and have now decided he's brilliant - I was even listening to the lyrics - what should I buy of his?

2. Zeppo

Zeppo New Member

Blue Valentine and Small Change is a good start. Nighthawks at the Diner and Tom Waits - Asylum Years. I am more into early stuff but all albums are good.

3. northernhord

northernhord Well-Known Member

Swordfishtrombone

4. ozzie

ozzie easily led

Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs are the two stone classics

also try Heartattack and Vine, Franks Wild Years and Bone Machine

tbh, nothing of his is bad. But defo start with Swordfish and RD :)

5. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

I'd go with that ^^^

Some people find FWY a bit hard going at first (IME)

6. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

That was the first Tom Waits I heard. It wasn't hard-going, but it was like nothing I'd ever heard before (in a good way).

7. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

Ah that's interesting :)

I suppose it depends on whether OU is the sort of person who likes to jump in at the deep end musically or make his way slowly from the shallows :D

8. Orang Utan

I shall get Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs then, plus Small Change, cos it has Tom Trautman's Blues on it - which until this morning I thought was a Rod Stewart song :oops:

9. Orang Utan

Well this is what I heard this morning and I liked all of it, apart from Road To Peace, which sounded a little obvious as a protest song:

Tom Waits - Underground
    Tom Waits - Shore Leave
    Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years
    Tom Waits - In The Neighborhood
    Jesus & Mary Chain - Never Understand
    Tom Waits - Downtown Train
    Tow Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen)
    Tom Waits - Kentucky Avenue
    Tom Waits - (Looking For) The Heart Of Saturday Night
    Tom Waits - I Never Talk To Strangers
    Tom Waits - Burma Shave
    Tom Waits - Jesus Gonna Be Here
    Tom Waits - 16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought Six
    Tom Waits - Hoist That Rag
    Tom Waits - Road To Peace
    Tom Waits - What's He Building?
    Tom Waits - Johnsburg, Illinois
    Tom Waits - Town With No Cheer
    Tom Waits - Ruby's Arms
    Tom Waits - Martha

10. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

This.

11. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

The man is a stone cold genius imo. I'd also recommend Blue Valentine from the early work, Rain Dogs is a fav for me and the latest Boozers, Bawlers and Brawlers was a good and varied selection as well i thought. Enjoy yourself OU, i'm sure you will if you go out and listen to Tom Waits :)

12. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

To agree with everyone else, start with 'middle period' - Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years. Then you can go backwards to the more piano balled, barfly stuff, or forwards to the wacko junkyard craziness.

But it's all awesome. Even One From The Heart :p

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Hash browns hash browns, you know you can't be late.

14. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

One of the few movie soundtrack albums I own :cool:

15. Sunspots

Sunspots what's my mission now?...

My favourites:

Swordfishtrombones
    The Heart Of Saturday Night
    Blue Valentine
    Heartattack And Vine

As far as his output over the last twenty years goes, I respect him a lot for going down the darker and weirder paths, but I don't think I really want to follow.

:)

16. hattie

hattie quite quiet

ou - did you hear this programme on purple radio? where he said he named his daughters for the last two tracks he played?

17. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

I'd go with the general Rain Dogs and Swordfish Trombones recommendations both are great.
    The stuff before that is more jazz influenced and piano ballad type deal - still great though.
    I was listening to Nighthawks at the Diner a good bit this week and that's all that stuff. it's really good but it is quite different.
    Bone Machine is a really good one where he started to really explore the Junk percussion type of thing he's being doin since, e.g. 'Real Gone' is a good listen but is almost melody free bangin' and clanging throughout 'Hoist that rag' is off it.

18. mistere

mistere I invented lurking!

I've been getting into Tom Waits recently, too. Haven't listened to a lot of his stuff yet but I absolutely love 'Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards', especially the first two CDs in it, and 'Real Gone' which is fantastic.

19. Orang Utan

I downloaded it from mixdownloads, where a lot of Purple shows end up, so it's probably the same show - full of embarrassing whimsical anecdotes about his personal life? It was a good show, but I could have done without the commentary

20. Orang Utan

I think this will be the sort of thing I'll dig TBH!

21. Madusa

Madusa Baller

22. Paulie Tandoori

Oh blimey yes, Bone Machine is fanastic, slipped my mind that one. Recommended highly.

23. hattie

hattie quite quiet

thats the one! purple radio is great - i have recently discovered it after reading the internet radio thread. there was a similar programme on there recently about 4 hero - very interesting to hear a cross section of their music, hardly spoiled at all by the accompanying life story of the guy playing the records!

anyway, tom waits = brilliant. apart from that cover of a song from west side story.

24. Orang Utan

There was a Madchester one recently and I had to take if off cos of the self-important bleatings of the lass who was presenting it - I like retrospective shows but I don't want to hear where the DJ was when they first danced to Voodoo Ray or WLF/
    The Tom Waits one was just about bearable, apart from the bit where the DJ says he lost his virginity cos a girl was so bored by his platitudes on the greatness of Tom Waits, that she fucked him to shut him up. And years later, he's still banging on about him. Hasn't learnt a thing. :)

25. chazegee

chazegee Number two.

Try reading Innocent when you dream, a brilliant collection of his interviews.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  26. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

The Black Books theme tune sounds suspiciously similar to much of SwordfishTrombones :hmm:

SpookyFrank likes this.
  27. Paulie Tandoori

Jockey Full of Bourbon from Rain Dogs

28. El Jefe

Such a wonderful book. I love watching the way he mythologises his life and you watch these myths grow and change through the years...

29. Madusa

Madusa Baller

El Jefe... are you really the boss?

30. El Jefe

Always