Tell me about the borough of Sutton

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by IMR, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

ha whoops :oops:

and really? remember that shop. RIP indeed :(

2. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Hearts Cov

from memory sutton had the first drive thru burger king in the UK.

Dan U and Onket like this.
  3. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Mr.QofG's and a mate were reminiscing about Sutton at the weekend.

Does anyone remember the Kebab and Wine Bar? Not a place to take a lady friend, apparently but they both did anyway :D

And also an Indian restaurant (can't remember the name) near Heens which was the culinary equivilent of the Litten Tree in that if you didn't see a fight in the LT you were almost guaranteed one there!

4. Balham

Balham If it ain't in London then, well, it just ain't.

Crazy H burger restaurant, Grove Road, Sutton, briliant. There was a wine bar on Cheam Road, opposite the cinema, can't remember what it was called. The beer it sold was Lowenstein.

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Hearts Cov

was that the one up past the station right on the corner as you entre quadrant house. i drove past a couple of weeks ago and there is still a bar/takeaway there.

6. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

There's one of them in Dulwich. Used to go by it on the bus, always wanted to go there but never did.

[​IMG]

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  7. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Yes I think it was. It was sadly before my time in Sutton. Though hearing some of the storys told about it maybe "sadly" is the wrong word :D

Excellent! I gather that, at the time, the Kebab and Wine Bar was in order to get round the licensing laws. Kebabs were ordered but rarely eaten :D

8. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Booooo. The kebab would be the best part! :D

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  9. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

10. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Rather like the shaver repair centre that used to be in the parade of shops next to Christ Church on Stafford Road in Wallington, before they were flattened to make way for Sainsburys.

11. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Balham likes this.
  12. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Dodgiest club I ever went in to was scarlets or whatever it was called, down the alley at the side of the cab place opposite the police station.

Murdermaster was my favourite burger joint, sadly renamed from burgermaster after a one punch killing.

13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Only just seen this and I doubt you will see my reply years later but rumours aside you had a proper good shop for a few years. Bought some treasured tunes I still have today.

Different world though then!

14. Balham

If anyone is interested there is a thing on Facebook caled 'Old Sutton' .

15. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Sutton is changing; interesting blog here:-

from http://suttongoingon.wordpress.com/...ade-what-does-this-mean-for-council-policies/

16. Balham

That was interesting, then I read this. Still think it a damned shame that the London Victoria to Portsmouth Harbour and Bognor Regis train no longer goes via Sutton (with buffet car - which was in the Bognor portion).

17. brogdale

Must admit that I was never aware of this fast train to Vic. Wish it still existed. Did it stop at Wallington?

18. Balham

No, went via Mitcham Junction. It was Sutton, Dorking, Horsham, Pulborough, Arundel, Barnham. At Barnham the train divides. The front portion is (was) for Chichester, Bosham, Southbourne, Emsworth, Havant, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour. The rear eight coaches (normally twelve in total) for Bognor Regis. Down train had the headcode 20 (for Portsmouth) and the up train had the headcode 40. The buffet car was in the Bognor Regis section. Left Victoria at 02 past the hour, both up and down trains were timed to depart Sutton at 22 past the hour. Some photos here . It went via West Croydon if there were engineering works via Mitcham Junction. I gather the service started when the line was electrified (there is a photo on the Honeywood site of 4 COR at Cheam in July 1936) and ended about 1979, or rather routed via Gatwick Airport.

19. MarkyDee

MarkyDee New Member

There was a Hardcore record shop in the Arcade in '92 and '93 called "Yes! Recordz" run by DJ's Rise and Shine and DJ Solo. It was an upstairs shop on the left hand side near the Throwley Way end. There was Chemistry Records on the right just past the Station around '93 - '96 and IMO records was in Cheam Road a bit later. I can't remember the name but around the late 90's there was also one upstairs just at the top of the escalator in Times Square briefly.

20. MarkyDee

MarkyDee New Member

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  21. QOTH

QOTH Well-Known Member

I work in Sutton a lot. Tell me something nice about it because I've not noticed anything just yet - admittedly as someone travelling for work I mostly see the office and the inside of a hotel so I may be being unfair.

The best bit so far is the man dressed as a wizard, for some reason.

22. brogdale

He dresses as a wizard for a very good reason; he believes that he is a wizard...and maybe he is.

One very 'nice' thing about Sutton is the river Wandle that flows through the north of the borough. The trail that follows the course of the river from source to confluence with the Thames at Wandsworth is well worth the time.

Chz likes this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

24. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Ah, I haven't been in the town centre for ages. Good to hear the Wizard of Sutton is still about. Hopefully still with his cat.

The locals voted him to turn on the Christmas lights one year, being probably the most famous current resident. The council bailed out at the last minute when they realised that he actually believes he is a wizard.

25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Have never heard of the wizard, despite having lived there for a few years. Sad to hear that Paul Burstow got voted out at election; he was a reat constituancy MP.

26. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Anyone remember the guy who dressed like jesus in Sutton?

Going back to the late 80s and early 90s here when I was a teenager .

Or Andy the skinhead gooner and celtic fan.

Both local characters

brogdale likes this.
  27. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Never met Burstow, but Tom Brake certainly didn't impress me. Especially for his big campaign to not close the hospital being closed by the government he was a member of. I know St.Helier's emergency services survived, but it's only because Surrey Health Services pulled out of the deal and made it financially unworkable. I wouldn't have shed a tear to see him go, even if it is the case that the seat would go Tory.

28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

The supreme irony of Grayling defending Epsom as well

Wanker.

They only like the NHS when it might cost them votes.

29. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Anyone remember Olga Maitland?

She was the Tory MP when I could first vote.

30. brogdale

Oh yes; "Families for defence". :mad: