Tell me about the borough of Sutton

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by IMR, Feb 16, 2011.

1. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

You don't hear much about the borough of Sutton in the news. Someone on another thread here has described it as 'boring'.

So I'd guess Sutton is not a bad place to live and bring up a family, but I'm not from there, so what would I know?

What's Sutton like?

2. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

A bit like lesser Croydon. Some decent schools, hard working white van men in prototype Lib Dem heartland, rough as hell in town centre at kicking out time. More commuter belt and posher in the surrounds

3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Hell of place if you're not overly keen on bumping into ex girlfriends.

4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

once woke up in Sutton, been to a party, me and a mate almost got into a fight with some RAF boys - we were taking the piss out of them because they were ground crew not flyboys - woke up in the sitting room - didn't have a clue where we were and how to get back to Wimbledon - which wasn't that far tbf

5. zenie

zenie >^^<

armpit

6. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Lived there for 4 years, husband born and brought up there. Some very nice parts in the borough as a whole - Carshalton and parts of Cheam for instance - Sutton itself can be a bit scuzzy in the centre though some of the surrounding streets are rather pleasant. Yup can be a nightmare later at night due to the number of pubs/clubs in or near the High Street though we never saw any trouble (or if we did we were too pissed to notice!)

Shopping is generic with few, if any, independent shops but busy and plenty to look around of a Saturday afternoon. The Secombe and Charles Cryer are both excellent theatres and there is a good theatre/arts/music scene around but not as supported as would be ideal. Some good pubs, though they tend to be outside Sutton itself and some really rough ones too, restaurants again tend to be generic (zizzi, pizza express) though there are some good Indian and chinese takeaways. The main library is excellent.

Good transport links into Victoria or Dorking/Guildford the opposite way and buses to Wimbledon and the northern line at Morden. Plus there was a night bus from central London I think.

Lib-dem MP's (Tom Brake in Carshalton & Wallington, Paul Burstow in Sutton & Cheam) Lib-dem council, I think, which is another Big Society trial area.

I liked living in Carshalton and if I am being really honest I would rather still be there than in Maidenhead.

7. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

8 pts clear at top of Ryman.

8. QueenOfGoths

Oh - I should add that everyone I know who has moved away from Sutton (including husband, best friend and husbands school/close friends) are all happy they moved and much prefer where they are living now to where they lived in Sutton...it's only me that doesn't :oops::D

9. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

sutton is a shithole pretending to be posh
    nasty pubs with nasty people
    and ern of course

10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

e2a they used to have a decent record shop run by Ray Keith's mob

11. ernestolynch

Bean free zone.

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

sporto jock cokehead tosspotville

13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Which one was that?

I can only remember IMO run by that hardcore guy and Clubland. There was another shop in the early 90s but its name totally escapes me.

And what queenofgoths said

14. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

[​IMG]

Sutton

15. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Way back in the day (I'm talking the early-mid 80s) there was Chick-a-Boom Records that was an extensive stall at the old Sutton Market (which became the site for the St Nicholas Centre) and then IIRC moved into a shop unit in the old Sutton Arcade (which in its turn got redeveloped into Virgin about 1990 and is now Poundland).

There was also Hot Rocks on Cheam Road in the 90s. I think the guy that ran it was called Steve and I trusted his recommendations. He always had something interesting in to tempt me. Perfect record shop. It became a dance music emporium and I stopped going in.

Others we have loved and lost: Record Rendezvous on Stafford Road in Wallington where I bought my first vinyl. Run by an old bloke who was really into blues (he seemed ancient to me at the time but he was probably in his 50s).

Earfriend in Cheam for an eclectic selection. Usually remarkably well stocked with Zappa CDs.

Yep

16. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Clubland was in that arcade as well, wonder if it was the same shop!

The woman who co-ran it dj at club UK iirc

Remember hot rocks too. Croydon was often my record destination of choice for obvious reasons.

17. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Now you mention it, I think that was on the right hand side as you came in from the high street. Chick-a-Boom was on the left, about three doors in. It didn't last more than a few years in its new home.

My memory's getting a bit faded now :)

18. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester digging holes...

Hi Maggot, oh yeah, that Phoneshop series - my god that was schyte.

Worked there for 14 years, wouldn't go there for a night out though. Have a look at http://www.beerintheevening.com/ for insight into Sutton night life :)

Agree with QueenOfGoths, really excellent library! Take a look in the DVD section - lots of Jodorowsky, Takashi Miike, Herzog, Tarkovsky, etc...

19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah IMO iirc

20. dtb

dtb > On A Trip Jam

Chemical Records just past Sutton train station was a great shop back in the early hardcore days, there was also Yes Records in Sutton Arcade then came IMO next to the old cinema building

21. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Chemistry Records bitd :cool: :D

22. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Pretty much what queenofgoths said.

I used to live in Sutton proper and got the hell out asap. Carshalton's probably the most pleasant bit of the borough (The Hope - CAMRA's best pub for the area is there and is fantastic), but it's all dead dull outside of kicking out time Friday/Saturday on Sutton High St. (which is a car crash instead).

I suppose in its defence there are a lot of parks and several grammar schools. The nice bits are rather cosy suburbia, the bad bits are just bad. I'd like to leave Beeches, but I find it hard with a couple of kids in tow.

23. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

It's basically the same as all the towns that are in that proximity ring around London & the M25, both inside and just out. I used to work at Reed and it just felt like being in Chelmsford in Essex.

Carshalton & Cheam are a lot posher & nicer.

24. QueenOfGoths

You know we never went in The Hope all the time we were in Carshalton - I think it had a bit of a rough reputation when Mr. QofG's was growing up so was classified as "Not the kind of place to take a lady" in his pub going opinion. Kind of regret it now as the reviews make it sound rather good with some excellent beer.

We generally went to the Windsor Castle or The Railway, or The Greyhound if we were entertaining out of town visitors as that was a bit posher and you could look at the ponds!:D

25. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

thats the name i couldn't remember!

apparently it dissapeared up the owners nose, or so was always the local 'word'

bought my first World Dance @ Lydd tickets there"!

26. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Oh, as I understand it The Hope was an utter shithole. Then a new landlord came in and kicked out all the troublemakers. They had trouble for a year or so with the old punters clogging up the drains and throwing things at windows before they went away. Then the pub company decided to sell it to a restaurant chain of some sort. The new clientele were horrified after all the effort that had gone in to turning the pub around, so they had a go-round (I'm simplifying it a bit here) and bought the pub, keeping the landlord (well, lady).

The Greyhound has ponced themselves out of the market, disappearing so far up their arses that they've turned inside-out. ('Tis a pretty place though)
    The Windsor Castle is still a decent place, but a bit faded compared to how it used to be (so I'm told).
    The Railway's the same as ever, so far as I can tell. Decent place, but puny and really the wrong end of town for me.

27. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i used to go to the Dukes Head on Wallington Green many moons ago.

28. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

29. ernestolynch

No beans .

30. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

Nightmare on Bean Street

[​IMG]